Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Those idiot followers might as well be making up another lame reason too like "oh if only it had touchwiz" :rolleyes:

II don't understand the need to be insulting. I use my stylus nearly everyday to draw practice plans and drills for volleyball and soccer. I use it annotate or draw notes on PDF files for work that I'm sent that need impressions and opinions and sent back. I use it to draw and color silly pics that my wife likes to receive. I use it to write out training ideas for my clients because it's faster than using my keyboard to type it out, and etc

So there are some of us that actually use the stylus on a frequent basis. Just because you don't find a need for it, does not mean others are idiots for not picking a phone because it doesn't have it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Based on the battery life being half as good as the Note 2, I would just go with the Note 2. Other than that, the brief moment I got to play with the G pro, I was impressed.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Returned my G Pro tonight. I'll share all my thoughts tomorrow when I have the time. It's a wonderful phone. Battery life appeared to be roughly equal to my iPhone 5. Ultimately the size ended up bothering me among a few other things. Details tomorrow.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Based on the battery life being half as good as the Note 2, I would just go with the Note 2. Other than that, the brief moment I got to play with the G pro, I was impressed.

Ouch, that's a HUGE negative. Although I didn't keep my Note 2 for other reasons, the battery life was pretty insane on it. Is the LG at least thinner than the Note 2?

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Returned my G Pro tonight. I'll share all my thoughts tomorrow when I have the time. It's a wonderful phone. Battery life appeared to be roughly equal to my iPhone 5. Ultimately the size ended up bothering me among a few other things. Details tomorrow.

I'm interested in your impressions. I played with one today at the AT&T store and am convinced that this will be my new phone come June.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
This is really long. Just a heads up.

I've been using an iPhone since 2008. I decided to try a phablet last January. I waited until an IPS model hit the market. I pre-ordered the G Pro and received it on Friday. I returned it Sunday night. I spent most of my weekend using it.

For starters, I really like this phone and highly recommend it. In the end however I decided the weight in pocket and attempting one handed operations were too much for me. I also had great difficulty attempting to transfer my music onto the SD card and that soured my overall experience.

Let me start with the SD card slot. I purchased a new Sandisk 64 GB card from Staples and my G Pro had no problems reading the card. The issues arose as I attempted to transfer my iTunes collection onto my SD card via iSyncr. I followed the steps as directed, made sure that the sync was being applied to the SD card. For starters, the transfer itself was incredibly slow. Roughly 1 hour for 10 GB of music. Perhaps my slow Mac Mini is a factor in this. I don't know. I figured that wasn't the end of the world because it would hopefully be a one-time action. At the 23% mark I started to receive a Mac MTP Error message as the songs attempted to transfer to the card. I stopped the sync, wiped the data off the card, attempted the sync again, and received the same error at the same place again. I then attempted to wi-fi sync with iSyncr which only lead to a continuous message regarding my playlist and then after 10 minutes it would just stop attempting to sync.

Frustrated I went to DoubleTwist. Followed the steps. The desktop software recognized my G Pro, found my music. As I attempted to place the music onto my G Pro, nothing would happen. I did a Google search to see if I was doing something wrong but it appeared as if I wasn't. Nothing I tried got the music to being syncing over to my phone.

As I last ditch effort, I downloaded Android File Transfer. I tried to drag and drop just a few songs and kept receiving an error message.

That was a really frustrating experience. iTunes makes transferring music to my iPhone a pretty painless experience. I'm positive I was following the correct steps and it simply wasn't working for me. It's really important that I be able to transfer my music to the SD card (or internal storage). Streaming is simply not a perfect solution for me. I want my music locally available at all times. I have that with my 64 GB iPhone 5.

Back to the phone. The screen is remarkable. I have no complaints with it. AT&T was nice to provide the flip folio case to pre-orders. I liked it a great deal. After using a 4 oz iPhone 5 since launch I had to adjust to a 6 oz G Pro. It was something I felt I always noticed. Especially in my pant pockets.

Battery life appeared to be on-par with my iPhone 5. No better or worse. The plastic back didn't bother me. However it also wasn't great. I think the only truly good plastic back plates are ones with a tactile feel like you'll find on the Xperia ZL. The notification light is a really cool touch. The home button is fine. It should be thicker like the button on the S4/Note II but it's fine. I also think screen sizes this big would really benefit from on-screen buttons and not any capacitive or physical ones. Put on-screen buttons on that 5.5" screen and it will be easier to use with one hand plus you don't lose the width of the screen in portrait.

Navigating the Google Play store for the most part was a smooth experience. Some weird moments when trying to enter words into the search bar. But for the most part, no issues. Seeing the Play store icon in the menu bar after each download was a bit odd at first. Jelly Bean (Android?) really makes more use of the notification shade compared to iOS. In some ways this is good. (Controls for the music player, etc.) In some ways it gets annoying. It can also be confusing at times when you realize you need to use the back or menu button within an app. I'm sure this is something you get used to however over time.

When I logged into the Play store for the first time I used my most-used Gmail account. Soon after I found all my email contacts in my Phone app. I didn't want that. I deleted all the contacts in the Phone app and later learned that I had also deleted all those contacts within Gmail entirely itself. Suffice to say that really angered me. There are previous contacts that I no longer can get in touch with.

Roughly 85% of the apps that I use on my iPhone were in the Play store. But some of the apps that I use a lot were simply worse in their Android varient. (USA Today, The Weather Channel, Xfinity Remote, Echofon.)

Habit browser is sensational. One of my big worries going into the experience was finding something to compete with the smoothness of the Safari browser and I was really impressed by Habit.

The Gmail app. Wow. It looks terrible compared to Apple default Mail app. And I learned in a quick Google search that you need to download Nova Launcher Prime plus TelsaUnread in order to obtain number notification on the app itself. This isn't a huge deal but I was miffed that this was even required in the first place.

Pocket Casts is a great podcast app but I found it really odd that I could not organize the placement of the podcasts manually (on the main podcasts page). Also the Accuweather app seemed to take over my phone. I could not get rid of the degree icon in the upper left no matter how hard I tried. Eventually I deleted the app. Also I kept getting the GPS icon at random intervals. I ended up toggling off GPS and figuring I'd just turn it back one when really needed.

Widgets are cool and even though I was only using one or two this is something that iOS should offer. Ditto the easy toggles at the top of the notification shade. Also the Q Slide apps can be removed from the notification shade but you cannot remove the edit button entirely. So you are left with this ugly bar taking up space for QSlide apps you are not using.

Despite my issues I was overall impressed with Android. The SD card thing really was an issue though. I know countless others don't have this issue but it really bothered me. I wish Google would just make an iTunes like app that would allow you to manage your music beyond just storing it in their cloud service. Or I wish you could just pin the music for offline use directly onto the SD card without needing to root first. If I were to consider an Android phone in the future I think I would make 64 GB of internal storage a prerequisite just to avoid any issues in the future. I'd use a potential SD card slot for photos and videos (that I shot with the phone) only.

I still think phablets are here for good. I think there is a strong market for such a large phone and I think they will only get better in the future. (Lighter, etc.) I would even consider one in the future but only if it had on-screen buttons.

That doesn't mean my iPhone 5 is perfect. I'm starting to think that a 5" screen is my personal sweet spot. But at this point I think I'm okay waiting for Apple to release a 5" iPhone, and I think they will in due time. Probably not however until 2014.

Thanks for reading. Sorry for being all over the place. I'm just trying to recall things off the top of my head. Definitely came away impressed overall with Android.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, I was at the at&t store earlier today paying my bill, when I came across this display for the g pro.

I've had my htc one for a couple of months (got it launch) and before that I had a note 2. I was missing the larger screen of the note but absolutely love the quality of my htc.

Once I started playing with the display model it seems like a perfect fit between the two phones. The display and build equality are much better than the note, while retaining the 5.5" display. Very impressed so far with this phone, I actually bought it on the spot since it was on sale for $99.

I'm surprised not more people are talking about this phone, I used to think of lg as a samsung kirf company, but this phone and the nexus to me are better iterations of their samsung counter parts. But they do really need to work on their skin, its just weird.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
It's a sleeper. Everyone has bought into the Samsung and HTC hoopla that this phone has been forgotten. I've had the Pro for over a month and its the best Android phone i've had in a while. Yes the LG skin is not aesthetically pleasing compared to the other phones but everything is snappy and runs well. I'm just waiting for LG (or AT&T) to push out the improved LG firmware.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
It's a sleeper. Everyone has bought into the Samsung and HTC hoopla that this phone has been forgotten. I've had the Pro for over a month and its the best Android phone i've had in a while. Yes the LG skin is not aesthetically pleasing compared to the other phones but everything is snappy and runs well. I'm just waiting for LG (or AT&T) to push out the improved LG firmware.

Ive been using it for a couple of days now and amazed by how good this phone is. I really like the lg keyboard, its the first oem keyboard i like. Its fast and smooth, though its a hair slower than my htc one, but some apps and games seem to run smoother than on my one. And the lg skin isnt too bad, not as good as stock or sense, but im liking it better than touchwiz.

This phone is like the dna last year, one of the best phones out that nobody ever talks about.

Im still on the fence though about keeping or not. Mostly because i just bought the HTC One a couple of months ago, had not i would definately keep this phone. Its nicely designed, has great performance, great battery life, nice large screen while still being a managable size, and at $99 for 32gb is a great value.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Hoopla? It's for a legit reason. LG has poor support for their devices. Jelly Bean took forever on the Optimus G. Even HTC is terrible about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.