Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkskraps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Hi

I have been given a 2009 Mac Pro with no wireless capability.

I have a Virgin Media broadband wireless router.

Is it possible to get this router to connect to my Mac wirelessly (without buying an internal card)?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If the Mac Pro has not wireless abilities and you do not want an internal card and you do want a wireless connection, you then need a wireless adapter with a USB interface like this.

mooblie

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The Highlands, Scotland
Or something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7416APN-Wireless-Extender-Technology/dp/B001HW0JVU
...set up in "AP Client Mode", where it picks up your WiFi signal and is connected to your Mac Pro with a short RJ45 patch lead.

apc.png

That device will add WiFi capability to ANY wired-Ethernet-capable device, without needing a WiFi dongle and drivers, etc., and the problems that can bring (e.g. also for Smart TVs, etc.)

Last edited:

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Or something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7416APN-Wireless-Extender-Technology/dp/B001HW0JVU
...set up in "AP Client Mode", where it picks up your WiFi signal and is connected to your Mac Pro with a short RJ45 patch lead.

That device will add WiFi capability to ANY wired-Ethernet-capable device, without needing a WiFi dongle and drivers, etc., and the problems that can bring (e.g. also for Smart TVs, etc.)

Thats called a wireless bridge.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
installing the internal card takes about 2 minutes and is the most elegant solution. Why dont you want this?

sparkskraps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Thanks the for replies everyone!

I had looked into the internal card a little bit, and read some reports saying that the connection can drop out every now and then, and as the computer will be situated in a room fairly far away from the router I thought external might be the best option?

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Thanks the for replies everyone!

I had looked into the internal card a little bit, and read some reports saying that the connection can drop out every now and then, and as the computer will be situated in a room fairly far away from the router I thought external might be the best option?

Never ever had mine drop out in over 3 years. And I am constantly moving files and loading files, so I would notice.
With an external one you really dont know what quality stuff you are getting it could have some cheap internals, with less range stability etc. Who knows.

Could I suggest an Airport express for Wifi range extension?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.