Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
As it is written in the title:

If I extended the wireless network with an Airport Express - would it be possible to connect two ethernet devices (printer + NAS) to both free ports?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos

If I extended the wireless network with an Airport Express - would it be possible to connect two ethernet devices (printer + NAS) to both free ports?

Yes. Depending on your setup, you can connect 2 LAN devices to the AE that is the extended one and 1 LAN device to the original one.
If the AEs are linked by a LAN then you can only connect 2 extra LAN devices - 1 to each.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
That explains everything. Thanks.

Actually it is supposed to be:

Aiport Extreme --- wireless --- Airport Expres ---- NAS + printer + other wifi clients

Of course you only get wifi speeds on the ethernet ports...

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos

Aiport Extreme --- wireless --- Airport Expres ---- NAS + printer + other wifi clients

Of course you only get wifi speeds on the ethernet ports...

You might get less speed as in Extend mode AFAIK the data has to be sent twice. Main -> Extended and back again.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

Are you referring to the older AE...(one Ethernet Port) or the new, flat one?

I have the newbie, and ut works perfectly with two Ethernet connections occupied....The older ones can be a little flaky.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Airport Extreme --- wireless --- Airport Express ---- NAS + printer + other wifi clients. Of course you only get wifi speeds on the ethernet ports...
Just bought an Airport Express today, set it up, and have same speed on wifi as via ethernet! Setup was a pain, had to use airport utility 5.6.1, as 6.3 absolutely refused to find the base station. Also had to reboot the fiber optics router and adaptor. But all is well after that, screaming fast using 5GHz wide wifi with default channel 36.

Attachments

• Speedtestnet-5GHz wifi.jpg
    Speedtestnet-5GHz wifi.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Speedtestnet-ethernet.jpg
    Speedtestnet-ethernet.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 153

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just bought an Airport Express today, set it up, and have same speed on wifi as via ethernet! Setup was a pain, had to use airport utility 5.6.1, as 6.3 absolutely refused to find the base station. Also had to reboot the fiber optics router and adaptor. But all is well after that, screaming fast using 5GHz wide wifi with default channel 36.

Yep, it's worth it...I get 103 down and 10 up over wifi on my rMBP...Ipad goes off the scale as does my IP5...Well worth the £79.00!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.