Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
For me, the most important factor in deciding to buy an iWatch would be if I can run Windows 3.1 on it using some sort of VM setup - for Solitaire and WinWord 2.0.

forthelove

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
I've said it before and ill say it again.

Apple is playing a game on this one!

Apple want to keep everyone thinking they are making a watch when really they just want to see Samsung and google waste money on a product like a smart watch that will never work.

Watches are not tech, they are jewellery plain and simple. Yes it's a massive market but even thinking about features a watch could have that a phone etc could not have, I'm left cold with the idea.

The watch is in apples remit but its the one area that is very well established as a market and tech watches always sell badly no matter how well designed or featured they are. I know the same was said about tablets but I can't help but feel its different as tablets were purely a tech market this is a jewellery market.

Anyone else thinking an iwatch would be a massive error in judgement when apple actually need to just revolutionise the TV market or go deep into developing battery tech or anything else but this.

iRadio = Music
iWatch = TV

Maybe not for a wristwatch at all???

schristo

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
iWatch... I stopped wearing a watch when my phone became smart; the idea of going back to wearing a watch is not appealing at all.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I can't really get used to the fact that so many people out there believe what apple is to release is just "a watch".

I know most of you could not study at MIT, but still you could understand is more than a watch

Most people here think that their needs are and should be the same as everyone else's. Hence the people that think a watch is useless because they don't use one. Or all those that said the iPad would bomb because it's just a large iPhone.

The same would happen if and when Apple would introduce a watch. Gazillions will buy it and other large groups will cry outrage that it's useless and that Apple should focus on updates of "real" hardware such as the Pro or the Macbook or whatever.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I'm still trying to wrap my mind about having a smart watch. What would I do with it that I can't all ready do?

This !! :D

Michael-Knight.jpg

Siri book me a taxi

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Nice! And yours still tells the time no better than my $100 G-Shock. ;)

This "IS" exactly the point

Many people don't buy a watch for it's function (hey clocks are everywhere now) They buy it for fashion/jewelry and/of gift from loved ones/sentimental

Whilst I've no doubt a electronic watch will be deemed cool/hip/radical by some, I'd suspect someone wearing nice cloths in a nice setting may want something more classy that a digital plastic gizmo strapped around their wrist.

For many men their watch "IS" their main item of expensive jewelry. they go out for a nice meal, they would put on a nice watch that compliments their look.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
You and me are very different people. I'm checking time constantly. I have a meeting at 10.... It's 9:45, good - I can do 10 minutes of work before spending 5 minutes to get prepared for the meeting, etc. etc.

I can imagine teenagers who follow Twitter 24/7 would enjoy a watch - more convenient to watch twitter feeds without the need to hold a device.

I think it will change things like football. Can a QB hold a cell-phone type device before the snap? No. He CAN glance at his watch and look at the play clock to get his snap off, or read on the watch what play the coach calls instead of spending time interpreting the signals and relaying it to all the players. Instead of the QB telling everyone what the play is, everyone glances at their watch to see what their role in the play is. Things like that.

This made me laugh so hard (bold portion). I am going to apologize proactively because my post may sound as if I am attacking but I promise I am not. No watch, by any company is going to make it into football. There's just so much "impossible" and impractical to overcome for this to even make it to the realm of possibility.

-It would have to made from darn near indestructible material. Football is a contact sport. 1st play of the game. Helmet hits watch. Watch dead.

-Looking at a watch for the play clock? The play clock is in each end zone, right above the defense. Defense is what the QB will be watching, not a watch. Looking at anything but the defense is a recipe for your 2nd string QB to become your starter.

-Play calling is not an interpretation scenario. They know the plays. That's why they practice.

-Plays are relayed from the sideline to directly to the QB's helmet.

There are many, many more reasons this is not a good idea. I applaud your creative thinking but this idea is not fully developed. The twitter feed is pretty cool though.

RonDMC

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
You know the name of the site you are on?

What's rumors got to do with trolling and flaming something that doesn't exist yet? This is exactly my point, all rumors and speculation so how can the iWatch even be judged at this point. If people think it will simply tell the time and display notifications from your iPhone I think they will be suprised. Don't get me wrong I think a Watch these days is purely a fashion statement so in order to get people excited and sell lot of them it will have to do some pretty special stuff, but I am keeping an open mind and I know Apple won't release rubbish just for the sake of it.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
iRadio = Music
iWatch = TV

Maybe not for a wristwatch at all???

Would make more sense to me than a watch, they can't use iTV for a TV set because the UK TV channel ITV has had that one since black and white TV was the norm i think..

apples watch should be called the iStrap

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This made me laugh so hard (bold portion). I am going to apologize proactively because my post may sound as if I am attacking but I promise I am not. No watch, by any company is going to make it into football. There's just so much "impossible" and impractical to overcome for this to even make it to the realm of possibility.

I understand the concerns, but it's a possibility if everything is taken into consideration. An off-the-shelf Apple product wouldn't do, but some sort of case around it (like cell phones) would help.

-It would have to made from darn near indestructible material. Football is a contact sport. 1st play of the game. Helmet hits watch. Watch dead.

Quarterbacks in the NFL right now have radios in their helmets. They survive a lot of impacts, but not all. Either way, I'm sure they can design something that has a hard helmet-type outer shell so it won't be destroyed by contact.

-Looking at a watch for the play clock? The play clock is in each end zone, right above the defense. Defense is what the QB will be watching, not a watch. Looking at anything but the defense is a recipe for your 2nd string QB to become your starter.

How many times did Tony Romo get a delay of game penalty when he was calling signals? He can't constantly stare at the play clock as (1)they are in different places in different stadiums as well, (2) he has to read the defense which is not where the play clock is. If his watch vibrates with, say, 3 seconds left, he'll get another clue to know to hurry the snap.

-Play calling is not an interpretation scenario. They know the plays. That's why they practice.

How many QBs get a play call from the sideline and then look on their play sheet on their wrist to know what to call? If it's on their watch in text instead of some series of letters and numbers that they then have to interpret with on their wrist play sheet, it helps in getting the play off quicker.

-Plays are relayed from the sideline to directly to the QB's helmet.

Yes, this technology is available in the NFL, but not college or high school. But this is only for the QB, not the other players. Every player would get the generalized play call, say '344 blue dog' and individual receivers would get 'Fly pattern', 'crossing pattern' etc. on their watch so they would know individually what to do. It happens all the time that players run the wrong routes because they misinterpret their part of a play call.

There are many, many more reasons this is not a good idea. I applaud your creative thinking but this idea is not fully developed. The twitter feed is pretty cool though.

Maybe referees can wear a watch, for example, to know where the ball was spotted and the down/distance of the last play, so when a ruling gets overturned by replay, they can more easily spot the ball and continue the game. (or have referees carry large Samsung Galaxy S4's on the field so they can review the play on the field instead of the booth :) )

I agree that a lot of thinking has to go into this, but I can see where maybe Google glass would be better fitted in the player's helmets to see this information instead of a watch. This will happen, eventually.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Nice! And yours still tells the time no better than my $100 G-Shock. ;)

And yours still tells the time no better than my $20 G-Shock. :)
Mine has a stopwatch and timer. Get owned, Rolex. Oh and it's also kinda ugly...

Last edited:

The Bogeyman

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Under your stairs
We have to wait until late 2014?

Seriously?

If Apple wait that long, they will be behind everyone else and people like me who have been waiting long enough will simply have already bought a competitor's product!

Get a move on, Apple!

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Is it really gonna be named 'iWatch'? I thought it was just a rumor codename. It kinda sounds eaughhhhh :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Blows my mind that Apple stock is up over 3% today because of news that they filed for an "iWatch" trademark in Japan. For all we know its pure defensive and doesn't mean a smartwatch type device is imminent.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I would not stereotype and denigrate everyone that wears one as a "poser," any more than I would stereotype someone who uses a Galaxy S or iDevice, a BMW, a Prius, store brand milk, or anything else.

Everyone I know with a Rolex is a poser. :D

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
iDontCare.

I wish Steve Jobs was still alive, he'd be able to convince me I need a watch.

I hate people that say they wish Steve was alive. You know what? Tim Cook is doing a great job so far. Just because he hasn't reinvented something and made a revolutionary product yet doesn't mean he is any less a CEO that Jobs. Give him time and he will amaze you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.