Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Tip: don't drop your watch
Tip: don't drop your laptop
Tip: don't drop the hope diamond
Tip: don't crash your car
etc.

I've dropped my iPad a few times but it only had minor scratches on the back.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Are you a vegetarian? I bet this wouldn't have happened if you ate meat.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Ouch. I hate seeing smashed screens. I've dropped my ipad a few times from the sofa/bed onto a wooden floor and about a month ago I had a major one. I was standing upright and the iPad slid out of my hand face down onto a wooden floor. Luckily it was in its case and didn't have a mark on it.

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Getting the screen replaced by one of those third party shops cost $170 here in sweden, and from what I have seen the results are not always that impressive. So Im actually thorn on how to handle it, it works just fine. It's a 4G 16GB-modell and with the screen protector on it, it shouldn't get worse. But yeah, it looks like crap and the resell value is gone...

The case btw, is a dbramante1928: http://www.dbramante1928.com/index.php/apple/hunter-brown-leather-folio-case.html

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i would never use a case like that personally because i know the out come would happen like you have i will only use otter box so if it drops on the floor i wont have to worry about the iPad it would be fine.i am no telling you what to do here but have a look in to otter box cases because it would save you a lot of money in the future if it ever comes around again and you need a new screen the otter box case would be a lot more cheaper then replacing a new screen.i have dropped my a few times and it looks as good as new not a mark on it at all really.

http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-4-with...d-4-with-retina-display-cases,default,sc.html

i cannot recommend otter box enough personally its saved my wallet a few times.

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
i would never use a case like that personally because i know the out come would happen like you have i will only use otter box so if it drops on the floor i wont have to worry about the iPad it would be fine.i am no telling you what to do here but have a look in to otter box cases because it would save you a lot of money in the future if it ever comes around again and you need a new screen the otter box case would be a lot more cheaper then replacing a new screen.i have dropped my a few times and it looks as good as new not a mark on it at all really.

http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-4-with...d-4-with-retina-display-cases,default,sc.html

i cannot recommend otter box enough personally its saved my wallet a few times.

The iPad was "naked" when I dropped it. Had it been in it's case I'm certain it wouldn't have cracked. I like using the iPad naked while at home, or atleast did...

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Here's another tip: Don't put your drink right next to your electronics.

Yes, liquid and electronics don't mix. However, many people read on the iPad like they would a newspaper or magazine so that means they'll coffee and/or drinks around while they read. I think in terms of liquid spills (as opposed to immersion) the iPad holds up much better usually than a laptop.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You can try replacing the glass yourself. You can get the glass, adhesive and digitizer for about $30 on eBay from reputable sellers. With the adhesive you will be dealing with you will need patience, spudger, Philips #00 screwdriver, a heat gun (or iFixit's iOpener), something to use as a wedge and plastic prying tools to avoid damaging the case.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+4+Wi-Fi+Teardown/11462/1

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
That case wouldn't have saved it from a drop. No edge protection.

As a matter of fact, I have 3 iPads right here with similar cases and cracked screens.

Make sure you get a case with edge protection!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.