Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I do not want to discuss price and value, all I want to know is, if I have a Mac pro 5,1, 2010, 2.8GHz, 8GB Ram and a nice aftermarket HD 7950, I would have a machine capable of playing most current games at virtually full graphics, right?

I have bought one quite cheap and I would like to know if it is indeed a powerful machine for gaming. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is that a dual core? Or do any games even appreciate dual cores?
Anyway, yes, you can game on that machine. I'd suggest an increase in ram for sure. Basically, you need to find the system requirements of all games you want and cross reference with your system specs. It may take a little time, but you'll soon know where you fall short.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
yes it'll play games just fine. I have a Quad Core 2.93 Ghz, 8GB RAM, and a GTX 680, I play everything maxed out at 1920X1080.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Anyway, yes, you can game on that machine. I'd suggest an increase in ram for sure. Basically, you need to find the system requirements of all games you want and cross reference with your system specs. It may take a little time, but you'll soon know where you fall short.

Quad core Xeon 2.8 GHz

----------

Oh I'm no noob when it come to hardware ;) I've been building x86 machines since pentium 3 :p Big grey things with floppy drives :cool:

Just want to know if there is some secret Achilles heel in the mac pros gaming wise :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Quad core Xeon 2.8 GHz

----------

Oh I'm no noob when it come to hardware ;) I've been building x86 machines since pentium 3 :p Big grey things with floppy drives :cool:

Just want to know if there is some secret Achilles heel in the mac pros gaming wise :)

Well, specs are specs. Find the requirements of the games you like and start comparing. Like x86 machines, it comes down to what your system is and what the requirements of the game are.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Well, specs are specs. Find the requirements of the games you like and start comparing. Like x86 machines, it comes down to what your system is and what the requirements of the game are.

Great, that's what I hoped.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I can play Crysis 3 on High on my 5870. 5,1
Could probably do Very High if I upgraded to a better video card.

mr1970

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Yep

I have a 2010 2 x 2.4 with the stock 5770 and it games very nicely. I don't play a lot but have been working through Diablo III and the thing I love is that the Pro can happily play the game at high quality while Handbraking in the background and serving video to the Apple TV elsewhere in the house.

To GoCubsGo's point, though, I'd up the RAM. I picked up 32GB of ex-server registered ECC RAM on eBay for peanuts and haven't had a page out in months (and the machine's never off). It's also worth making the boot drive an SSD - night and day difference, snaps into Diablo in quarter of the time.

ness96

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
I do not want to discuss price and value, all I want to know is, if I have a Mac pro 5,1, 2010, 2.8GHz, 8GB Ram and a nice aftermarket HD 7950, I would have a machine capable of playing most current games at virtually full graphics, right?

I have bought one quite cheap and I would like to know if it is indeed a powerful machine for gaming. :)

I do. I've got a quad core 3.2ghz 5,1 with the stock Radeon. Granted, I didn't buy the Pro for gaming. It's my work machine, and I play games on it in my free time.

I use Boot Camp + Win7 for gaming. I don't play much, but it has very nicely handled everything I play (Skyrim, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, Minecraft). The video card could be better, but it works well enough that I don't feel the need to invest in a new card. It's not a gaming beast, but it'll do well :)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I do. I've got a quad core 3.2ghz 5,1 with the stock Radeon. Granted, I didn't buy the Pro for gaming. It's my work machine, and I play games on it in my free time.

I use Boot Camp + Win7 for gaming. I don't play much, but it has very nicely handled everything I play (Skyrim, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, Minecraft). The video card could be better, but it works well enough that I don't feel the need to invest in a new card. It's not a gaming beast, but it'll do well :)

Great to hear :)

I actually plan to upgrade to the new HD 7950 when I have the cash and find one for a good twice :p

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Yes. It is called OS X. Run Windows and you'll know no difference vs. PC of same hardware.

What do you take me for? :p

I love OSX, but to do any serious gaming I will of course be bootcamping into windows 7.
Just wanted to know if there was some obscure issue with mac pro's and gaming hardware wise. On paper I don't see anything but I just wanted the opinion of those with experience. :)

Last edited:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
What do you take for? :p

I love OSX, but to do any serious gaming I will of course be bootcamping into windows 7.
Just wanted to know if there was some obscure issue with mac pro's and gaming hardware wise. On paper I don't see anything but I just wanted the opinion of those with experience. :)

No issue the way I have it (I mean games have their own issues and Windows has it's own issues). I don't use bootcamp though. Just dedicate a drive to it and install Win from disc. Have it grab all the X58 drivers and download GPU stuff and you are up to date and no sluggish boot camp leftovers.

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2013
My primary use is gaming on my MP. Other then reading MacRumors...

The other things i use my MP for are so minimal for actually taxing the machinge.. ie VPN to work, reading email, ssh, X-Windows, etc. Gaming is the only thing that actually pushes this machine. Gaming on it rocks btw. Skyrim, Everquest, WoW are the games I am currently playing. Specs in tag.

Kaspersky

Suspended
Jan 31, 2013
Warsaw
And 2013 says hello back.

tumblr_mpbf4n5VNR1spdq41o1_500.jpg

You do not even talk to him!

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3953&game=Crysis 3

Last edited:

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Why does people here seem to assume that more RAM == More speed? 8GB is more than enoguh for any gaming.

8 is fine if you only have the game open. However, it's more common to have a voice communication client open, sometimes a voice communication server, a browser with several tabs open, an application or two that is pertinent to the game, possibly a messenger program, maybe iTunes or an alternative media player.

8 is reasonably easy to max out in casual use. Especially when considering memory leaks during extended use. 16gb is the new safe number for casual gaming and home use.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Works flawlessly in BootCamp gaming, no Mac-specific issues at all.
Most reliable "PC" I've ever used, too. ;)

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.