Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pwfletcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2002
I thought Foxconn Worked for Apple? They announced a new Foxconn smartwatch today ... just before Apple is supposed to release the iWatch

Foxconn smartwatch

It looks more like a Nike Fuelband, but I can't believe that Apple is too happy about this. Maybe they did it because Apple is moving manufacturing back home to the US.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I thought Foxconn Worked for Apple?

Not exclusively no. Foxconn is, more aptly, a supplier (parts and labor) to Apple. Samsung is also a supplier (memory chips) to Apple.

It looks more like a Nike Fuelband, but I can't believe that Apple is too happy about this.

1. That looks just like the Microsoft watch dumped after a couple of years. Apple's offering is rumored to have a flexible display.

2. IMO, the rumored iWatch may turn out to be a smoke screen.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Foxconn is a manufacturing company, they have multiple contractors including Apple, Samsung and Sony. You also realize that different parts of companies do different things, right? Samsung supplies displays to Apple but also makes cell phones, Apple isn't cutting ties with them for this, nor should they.

pwfletcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Foxconn is a manufacturing company, they have multiple contractors including Apple, Samsung and Sony. You also realize that different parts of companies do different things, right? Samsung supplies displays to Apple but also makes cell phones, Apple isn't cutting ties with them for this, nor should they.

I know ... but I assume they would have some sort of non compete agreement.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I know ... but I assume they would have some sort of non compete agreement.

Apple doesn't make a watch. You are suggesting they have an agreement in place that prevents Foxconn/Hon Hai from making anything that Apple might make in the future at some point. To me that sounds ridiculous.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
If the Smartfitty watch shown in the video is what you're talking about, then it doesn't impress me at all, and neither Apple nor Google have anything to worry about.

I say this as an owner of a Pebble Smartwatch, the only true smart watch out there. :D

pwfletcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2002
If the Smartfitty watch shown in the video is what you're talking about, then it doesn't impress me at all, and neither Apple nor Google have anything to worry about.

I say this as an owner of a Pebble Smartwatch, the only true smart watch out there. :D

Ooops ... you're right. I posted the wrong link ... I fixed it now. I wasn't discussing the SmartFitty, I was discussing the Foxconn entry. It just seems odd that they are now transitioning from a supply company for others to making their own products.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
To me that sounds ridiculous.

Even more than ridiculous. It's nonsensical. Nobody would be able to partner with anybody since any company can potentially get into any market segment at any time.

The fact that Apple and Samsung are partners (in that Apple buys components from Samsung) means that no such agreement exists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.