Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
well you seem to know a lot on this subject so answer this probably dumb question please... say you walk in with iOS 7, get denied, go home and restore to iOS 6, is that problem fixed?

I suppose it would depend on what the problem was. Downgrading might not revert everything so they might still deny if they have notes you had it on iOS 7

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Stepping back and looking at the big picture I believe Apple has good intentions and a proper goal.

That said in a certain Apple Store I frequent, all one must do is ask and they're happy to give you a peek. Although its located on the West Coast, these employees must think NDA means North Dakota Apple. A bad joke? You bet, but so is the casual attitude many of them maintain.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That quote says service IN STORE. If you have a hardware failure,

Trouble is that there are few things short of a busted display, water damage or a jammed sleep or volume button that are ost definitely hardware. Even an unresponsive home button or a sleep button that moves but doesn't do anything could be software. And if they are told not to service phones with iOS 7 you can bet that includes restoring to remove iOS 7 and go back to 6 cause if it screws up the device they did it so they could be held liable. So they away you go to figure that out yourself. And then bring them back a phone with a verifiable issue.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Trouble is that there are few things short of a busted display, water damage or a jammed sleep or volume button that are ost definitely hardware.

But likewise, there are few things that would prevent a developer from wiping and reverting the phone to iOS 6. If someone was really in the developer program and had a device on iOS7 fail, it's hard to imagine that Apple would totally deny their warranty.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Aw, someone is offended they like childish designs.

Yes, I am serious. Bad design is bad design. Whether its June 10th, July 1st, or October 32nd. So far, 9/9 people I've showed iOS 7 off to (and countless people on Apple's own forums) have the same impression:

"Seems kid-ish, like its meant for a child."

But by all means, continue praising Apple's iOS 7 and all duh pretty colors:rolleyes:

It seems more like your offended someone doesn't think your tired jokes about the design were funny....

----------

hmm i have quite the opposite experience. i think its pretty, and pretty awesome to use. and its kind of fun even with the bubbles and different color themes - so to say to match your backgrounds. and im not going to lie I've been showing to off to friends and family and even random people i talk to at stores and wherever else if we get into the iphone subject, and i get a lot of positive responses. some people really like the new look and love the new functions.
that said i do wish they tweaked up the safari and weather icon.
and beta is kind of buggy but in the end it should be very impressive:)

I have spent a lot of time with it. Pretty nice, but still quite buggy in beta 2. Try it with a large iTunes Match library on a 4s. While that did suck in ios6 too, it was actually pretty good on beta 1, but is now unusable and makes yo think your phone is about to burst into flames.

Stability an performance are not where yo want them for a demo. This is not a preview release, it is still a pretty early beta.

Silver Box

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
This seems heavy handed and silly.

What wrong with showing someone a little ios 7. Are they afraid it's so bad that people will run to android? Most people who would be interested in a sneak peek would be fully aware it is beta and will have glitches and may change before the final release.

I think it would bring more traffic to the stores and generate some excitement.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post I disagree "most" people visiting for genius appointment understand betas are glitchy. What I would guess is a high percentage of people that visit a Genius Bar don't understand how their machine works, let alone what a beta is, so when the beta crashes and they have to explain why thats an expected behaviour for a beta they move away from focusing on the customer issues in the 15 minutes they have for an appointment. Its a minefield tbh. Besides that its not exactly difficult to direct them to the Apple website to see whats coming.

It does seem a bit bizarre they get invited to test Mavericks but not iOS, especially since they could do with a little mapping help. I'm guessing its because its desktop and not a mobile OS and therefore in use at home and not in store? Dont know.

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
What's the point? Everyone already knows at this point what it looks like and it's features.

Yes, you're correct, but it's still bound by NDA - employee or not. And this is why Retail can't have nice things (officially).

If (the offending) Retail employees had a modicum of respect for the company, then maybe they'd all get the better access they crow about not having.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
As a developer, why shouldn't Apple cover my device under the same warranty as everyone else's? Just because you're bitter than many non-developers are running iOS 7 beta's, doesn't mean Apple should try to screw everyone over. I'm glad you don't work for Apple.

While this article doesn't clearly say so, developers running legitimate copies of iOS 7 are entitled to Genius Bar service. Apple is not trying to "screw everyone over."

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
This cracks me up.. Go root your Android phone & install a beta rom of Key Lime Pie on it... then go to a cell phone shop, tell them it crashed. I would bet you the entire cow they would NOT help you. DUH!!!

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Apple announced it, and previewed it for the whole world. What's wrong with an employee, with a legit copy, showing a curious customer a function or 2.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple announced it, and previewed it for the whole world. What's wrong with an employee, with a legit copy, showing a curious customer a function or 2.

But Apple also clealy stated it would be shipping this fall. Store employees can show it to the customer when it's officially released. Why do they need to see it now?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
But Apple also clealy stated it would be shipping this fall. Store employees can show it to the customer when it's officially released. Why do they need to see it now?

My point is, it's not a secret anymore. Apple showed it off for all the world to see. I guess I kinda get it. But seems a bit silly since they had an event doing exactly what they are telling employees not to do.

JBCaver

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
The employees can get fired for showing off iOS 7 yet there are thousands of people running the beta unauthorized and not following the NDA.
That's what happened to me. They are serious about it.

----------

If it's buggy and can lead to negative impressions, you bet it can.

Like hell. They'll fire you on the spot. I did it by accident, no intention on showing the customer it, the phone just had it on there, and they saw it and that's all it took. It's very much against the terms that we agree to when we are employed not to show customers any BETA software, no questions asked.

----------

This seems heavy handed and silly.

What wrong with showing someone a little ios 7. Are they afraid it's so bad that people will run to android? Most people who would be interested in a sneak peek would be fully aware it is beta and will have glitches and may change before the final release.

I think it would bring more traffic to the stores and generate some excitement.

Unfortunately, most of the people that go into the Apple store barely know how to use the current software and would not be fully aware of its beta status and bugs and glitches that are present. It creates an inconsistent experience with the current, approved for distribution iOS. While it would be awesome to try to generate excitement and awareness, and I fully support your opinion, it actually creates more confusion than necessary. Having this software installed on my 5th Gen iPod touch and accidentally opening an app in customer presence (not thinking about it and just showing them a widely available app) is what got me fired from Apple.

----------

Its probably news to you, but there is such a thing as objectively bad design, and iOS 7 is reflective of such. Just because something is popular does not mean its quality.

If Ive redesigned the Coke cans, they'd look like this:

And you'd probably still praise it.

I actually like that!! Sorry. I know it wasn't meant to be really liked, but, alas, I do.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It can't be that big of a deal to show a customer a preview of things to come.

Of course not. That is why Apple has an iOS 7 preview page and also a link to watch the WWDC keynote.

But the above is carefully scripted. Showing a customer who doesn't really understand betas are not finished, polished versions is pure improv... and you never know what will go wrong, leaving a bad impression in that customer's mind. Then that customer goes and talks with his pals about how buggy iOS 7 is.

That is why it is a big deal and why Apple's penalty to employees is so draconian.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

Yes, I am serious. Bad design is bad design. Whether its June 10th, July 1st, or October 32nd. So far, 9/9 people I've showed iOS 7 off to (and countless people on Apple's own forums) have the same impression:

But by all means, continue praising Apple's iOS 7 and all duh pretty colors:rolleyes:
Watch the state of the union platforms keynote. Cause if the public keynote was not enough to show you how good iOS7 is the developer keynote should. And if that doesn't, then Apple's lost to you. iOS7 looks amazing from what Apple has said. (in form and function). I can't wait till it's released to try it out.

----------

Apple clearly states that iOS7 is for development purposes only and that you should not install it on a device that is required to work. It's like line 2 of the developer agreement. A genius bar is for an end user to get help. Developers are not end users.

Developers are also end users. It's all a matter of which hat you're wearing at the time.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

But by all means, continue praising Apple's iOS 7 and all duh pretty colors :rolleyes:

First thing I will do when I get iOS7 is use a darker background... and hide most of the brightly-colored Apple apps that I don't use.

Other app icons look better... I'm not a fan of Easter Egg colors...

K8LplJm.jpg

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Customers who bring in malfunctioning phones running iOS 7 will not be able to have them serviced in store either, as Apple has implemented guidelines preventing Geniuses from working on phones running the beta software.

Not entirely true. Last weekend I took my iPhone 5 into a store, running iOS 7, for a genius appointment because my sleep/wake button only worked if you pressed on the leftmost side. They replaced it no questions asked.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Apple's signing system will verify any device updating to iOS 7 beta. Registered or not. They could stop it if they wanted to, but it's like they don't even care.

I guess that's a workaround. It still doesn't explain how people think they're abiding by the rules by obtaining the IPSW's not via Apple.

exactly its an easy trick to just restore the iphone and boot it with a downloaded iOS 7 file...which can be gotten for free at pirate bay

Bingo.

99% of the time, if you have to get something from the Pirate Bay, then it's not legal.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Strict stuff.

As a beta tester, i've told heaps of people before products have come out to the public....nothing Apple related, but other companies products.

No harm, just as long as there's 'trust', and when we all say we won't do something (like leak info), we darm well better not.

FYI, i sure hope Apple changes "the stove icon" in iOS 7.. Looks more like a pressure cooker, than a settings icon.

Last edited:

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
What is Draconian? It's a NDA. At my employer you break your NDA and it's Dept of Labor time, because you will have one hell of a time finding a position in your field after breaking one. Decisions have consequences. :apple:

Perhaps it was the wording of the article, it came off a little 'big brother is watching you.' I'm aware of the NDA, I have a developer account myself...

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I bet another reason for this is because of the influx of 1000's of people who paid the $99.00 to download this as part of the developer program and these 1000's of people are not really developers but folks that own a youtube channel and just want to be the first to show it off.

Maybe Apple should hunker down on just how many releases of this beta software they allow to be downloaded by non developers or maybe this is easy money for them to collect from the public. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.