Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Meh it's really just interesting for those in for a new MacBook Air. All the other products are just about to be updated, so Apple is trying to clear their stock.
And I would really advice against a 13"
rMBP now as Haswell will be a major upgrade on that one.

woodpecka

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
FYI, I received a new MBA 2 weeks ago and call to get the deal retroactively. After verification, the guy at Apple told me there is no issue to get it without returning/reordering the MBA. :)

vazquez1085

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
New York
I bought a Mini on June 17...called my local store and they said as long as its within 30 days all I need to do is bring the receipt and device into the store and theyll give me the gift card...

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Would be much better if it was a $100 Apple Store credit. So you could use it towards an Airport Extreme, iPhone, printer, &c. The app store doesn't even carry Microsoft Office nor many other major commercial software packages. Besides Apples own software it seems just about everything in the app store would have been labeled shareware or freeware a couple years ago.

It would be more useful if this could be used in the iBook Store to spend towards textbooks.

FYI you can use the gift card in the itunes store, which would allow u to purchase textbooks from there. Idk about the actual 'ibooks store' so I will defer that judgment to those who own ipads.

DoraTheXplorer

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Where are the Haswell Macbook Pros!?

Why hasn't Apple released the updated Macbook Pros? They do realize that they are missing out on huge sales during Back to School month. Think about it, sales will slow down a lot even if they make the update announcement after the school promotion is over. The biggest thing I am worried about is that I will buy a 15inch Retina Macbook Pro now with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory GPU and 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz CPU and in a couple of weeks Apple will announce updated computers with new powerful Radeon GPUs and Haswel CPUs. If this happens it will be a true injustice. I do a lot of programming and gaming so I must have the newest GPUs and CPUs to stay current and productive. I refuse to buy a PC because they are not as reliable and do not have longevity. Does anyone know when this update may happen? I hope it is not October or something....

----------

Just order my 13" 2013 macbook air i5/8g/128g CANT WAIT TO GET IT WILL BE MY FIRST MAC!!!

Should have gotten a Macbook Pro - a much more powerful device. But if you were looking to save money, the MacAir is a good choice.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Yeah, still have two from such. campaign. Still going strong.

The one we got through the same offer in 2004 lasted 12.5 months and then the hard drive failed. Apple shrugged.

I swore I would never buy another iPod ever again...and I haven't.

s

Stud101

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Why hasn't Apple released the updated Macbook Pros? They do realize that they are missing out on huge sales during Back to School month. Think about it, sales will slow down a lot even if they make the update announcement after the school promotion is over. The biggest thing I am worried about is that I will buy a 15inch Retina Macbook Pro now with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory GPU and 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz CPU and in a couple of weeks Apple will announce updated computers with new powerful Radeon GPUs and Haswel CPUs. If this happens it will be a true injustice. I do a lot of programming and gaming so I must have the newest GPUs and CPUs to stay current and productive. I refuse to buy a PC because they are not as reliable and do not have longevity. Does anyone know when this update may happen? I hope it is not October or something....

----------

Dude i am right with you. I was so hoping for the update to align with BTS, it only makes sense that way. I have no idea what to do now, I can only wait as long until school starts, at the end of August (I can't begin college without a laptop). But even the macrumors buyer's guide says "Don't Buy rMBP, Update Soon" But I don't think the update will happen before school starts :(

Whaaaat the craaaap Apple!

DoraTheXplorer

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013

----------

Dude i am right with you. I was so hoping for the update to align with BTS, it only makes sense that way. I have no idea what to do now, I can only wait as long until school starts, at the end of August (I can't begin college without a laptop). But even the macrumors buyer's guide says "Don't Buy rMBP, Update Soon" But I don't think the update will happen before school starts :(

Yeah, Come On Apple! What are you guys thinking!?

DoraTheXplorer

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
september is so far to get the iPhone5s - Damn!

Hope the updated macs and pros come out before it expires:cool:

They BETTER! I mean it is so stupid to delay the update past their primary sales month. More purchases = More Company Earnings/Shares - thats simple math Apple. Come on!

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin

----------

Stop whining as this has been answered several times: Intel has not even released the entire Haswell lineup yet. Most of the chips which make sense to be used in the 15" an 13" rMBP are to be released in Q3.
Besides the back to school promotion is not really a incentive to purchase new Apple product as a way for Apple to clean stocks. iPhone, iPads and Macs are often updated on the October Apple event. Not sure why anybody is still surprised about this...

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Stop whining as this has been answered several times: Intel has not even released the entire Haswell lineup yet. Most of the chips which make sense to be used in the 15" an 13" rMBP are to be released in Q3.
Besides the back to school promotion is not really a incentive to purchase new Apple product as a way for Apple to clean stocks. iPhone, iPads and Macs are often updated on the October Apple event. Not sure why anybody is still surprised about this...

Why is it all the 4th gen processors listed on Intel say 'launched':'yes' then?

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Apple Launches 2013 'Back to School' Promotion with Gift Cards Up to $100

Why is it all the 4th gen processors listed on Intel say 'launched':'yes' then?

If you already care to look at ark.intel.com you should have taken the time to read further. Launched means just that: the architecture was officially introduced; certain chips are not shipping yet. My bet is Apple is using the Iris 5200 iGPU equipped chips on either notebook and perhaps even iMac. Those clearly state the launch date with Q3.

EDIT: Also this was the problem with the Mac Pro. People bitched on Apple not releasing an updated version but for a long time there simply was no new Dual Socket Xeon processors out. See I'm still puzzled how so many so called "experts" give out their time tables while not even taking the time to actually look at the technical possibilities. Should be outlawed. Just think about all the stock market turmoil such rumors are generating, although they are completely unfounded. But alas they might be speculating on just that to happen.

Last edited:

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
If they're going to Stanford maybe. They should probably minimally check out their own university's website and see if their school has info on Apple educational pricing.

No, it doesn't matter what school you select on the website.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
Just called my local Apple Store, and they said I can get the gift card as long as I bring my Macbook in and exchange it. What a freaking hassle, why can't they just email me the code? =____= Well, better than nothing I guess

muqqq

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
You guys have NOOO idea how lenient Apple is. EVERYONE can take advantage of this promotion.

People just don't know.

Yes, everyone can take advantage without verifying their student status. It's very apparent that Apple is using this strategy to clear its inventory for preparation of the coming new product launching. :)

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Anyone else notice that the student in the ad is wearing a watch? This *had* to be intentional. Seriously - when's the last time you saw a college student wearing a watch?

A very astute observation!

I'm in the same boat...who at Apple did you call?

His brother-in-law, lol..... But seriously, they are pretty good about that. And why shouldn't they. After all, you've got that two week period, and could always return it, and re-order it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.