Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lonesdav000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Since AirPlay came to the Mac, DVD playback has always been blocked due to supposed "DRM issues" (whether or not the DVD's themselves even impose any). I could just use an HDMI cable instead of paying an extra $100 for an Apple TV and achieve DVD playback with no "DRM issues" at all. They now advertise that AirPlay mirroring will act more like any other external display. So, simple enough question... as with any other external display, will DVD playback be allowed???

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
They now advertise that AirPlay mirroring will act more like any other external display.

Well Airplay mirroring acts like an external display as well - it's just that now we will be able to "extend" the desktop as well rather than just mirror it.

I don't see any reason that Apple would change their stance on their builtin DVD player app with regards to copyright protection.

The only solution I can find would be to use a thirdparty app like VLC to play your DVD and then mirror that.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/use_airplay_to_watch_dvds_on_my_appletv.html

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
A 100+ personal collection doesn't just die... and it certainly can't just be ripped.

Actually it can. I've got 250+ DVD's, all ripped and originals packed away in a closet. Took maybe a couple of weekends at a leisurley pace. I did pick up a couple very cheap external drives, combined with the internal drive, that gave me a total 3 drives to queue up at a time in Handbrake. Sold the extra drives when I was done.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Actually it can. I've got 250+ DVD's, all ripped and originals packed away in a closet. Took maybe a couple of weekends at a leisurley pace. I did pick up a couple very cheap external drives, combined with the internal drive, that gave me a total 3 drives to queue up at a time in Handbrake. Sold the extra drives when I was done.
Hopefully you kept a drive or 2 to backup everything. It would be a shame to have to re-rip everything because a drive died.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hopefully you kept a drive or 2 to backup everything. It would be a shame to have to re-rip everything because a drive died.

No worries there. My iTunes is hosted on a Mac mini with 12TB of external storage (2 x LaCie Thunderbolt 2big). The one is configured as RAID1 for data (media library and home shares) the other configured RAID0 for backups (server and home computers).

lonesdav000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Well Airplay mirroring acts like an external display as well - it's just that now we will be able to "extend" the desktop as well rather than just mirror it.

I don't see any reason that Apple would change their stance on their builtin DVD player app with regards to copyright protection.

The only solution I can find would be to use a thirdparty app like VLC to play your DVD and then mirror that.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/use_airplay_to_watch_dvds_on_my_appletv.html

If the only viable option is to use an alternative player app, could someone please explain Apples reasoning?

As far as "external displays" go, I don't see any reason why viewing a DVD over AirPlay should bring up any copyright issues at all. Besides, they in no way attempt to prevent users from presenting DVDs to an audience over VGA or HDMI on a projector, "mirrored" or not.

Exactly. This requires making it a chore... it can't "just be done". Even if I were willing to abandon the physical collection, all I'd get from it would be just the movies... nothing of the original DVD experience would be carried over.

KScottMyers

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL

Agreed - did the same with my 500+ DVD collection years ago. Never looked back.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Exactly. This requires making it a chore... it can't "just be done". Even if I were willing to abandon the physical collection, all I'd get from it would be just the movies... nothing of the original DVD experience would be carried over.
If you do a pure rip of a DVD (no re-encoding etc), you get everything from the DVD. Mind you, I think a lot of the extras are garbage, but there are a few DVDs I have where the extras are great.

lonesdav000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
If you do a pure rip of a DVD (no re-encoding etc), you get everything from the DVD. Mind you, I think a lot of the extras are garbage, but there are a few DVDs I have where the extras are great.

If what you mean by "pure rip" is making an image of the disk, I have tried that before. The virtual disk still is not playable over AirPlay, at least in using Apple's player.

Unless, do you mean that as is a function of Handbrake?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
If the only viable option is to use an alternative player app, could someone please explain Apples reasoning?

As far as "external displays" go, I don't see any reason why viewing a DVD over AirPlay should bring up any copyright issues at all. Besides, they in no way attempt to prevent users from presenting DVDs to an audience over VGA or HDMI on a projector, "mirrored" or not.

To each his own, of course. Where I have never been interested in the extra features on DVD or BluRay, I'm sure that'd be a significant consideration to some. (Even though extras can still be ripped, it'd be a pain to categorize and access conveniently.) The main feature is all I'm interested in watching, so having it so easily available right from the network to any one of my HT setups throughout the house is a major improvement to my movie viewing experience.

My home media network is a hobby so it is rarely a chore to advance and improve it. Except for the occasional block buster on BluRay, I purchase everything digitally. Even my legacy software is stored as ISO's on the network. Handling physical media anymore causes me to break out in hives :D

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
I rip and compress then import into iTunes to use AirPlay, I generally keep movies in an external drive and delete the iTunes copy when I've watched it. You can sync the movie to your iPhone /iPad etc also of course and use that to drive AirPlay too

lonesdav000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
To each his own, of course. Where I have never been interested in the extra features on DVD or BluRay, I'm sure that'd be a significant consideration to some. (Even though extras can still be ripped, it'd be a pain to categorize and access conveniently.) The main feature is all I'm interested in watching, so having it so easily available right from the network to any one of my HT setups throughout the house is a major improvement to my movie viewing experience.

My home media network is a hobby so it is rarely a chore to advance and improve it. Except for the occasional block buster on BluRay, I purchase everything digitally. Even my legacy software is stored as ISO's on the network. Handling physical media anymore causes me to break out in hives :D

I suppose it might just be preference, but when I want just the movie, I prefer either renting or paying for a streaming service of some kind or just watching it in theaters. Otherwise, if I'm going to actually own something, I'd prefer it have a bit more weight to it... even if as a digital file.

The question still stands. To those who are participating in the beta, does the stock DVD player still not allow playback over AirPlay? Even in using an extended desktop setup? At the very least, the functionality I'm expecting is the ability to just drag the player window up to my television and put it into full-screen.

Perhaps a screenshot for the record to illustrate this oversight in user experience?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.