Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
*** Nothing official just conversations. ***
I ask this because very few people I know are aware that you can run Windows via bootcamp or in a VMWare Window. They write off IOS because their company uses Windows.

Here's the thought; let says Apple wants to get more market share. So they buy VMWare or Parallel an advertize the heck of out it. It would be better than the "Look what we've done" look back campaign they currently run.
Then as part of IOS7.5 they include this as a default app and encourage installation of your own copy of Windows! Thereby the MacBook product is now a major player in the Windows PC Line. It could be said that this is direct competition an Apple wouldn't want that. But as we all know, once you have Windows loaded you end up using Windows less and less as you enjoy IOS more and more. The long term results, larger market share and better competition.

Would that shake up the market?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Vmware is much bigger then just Fusion, in fact their enterprise sector is huge. There's no synergy with Apple buying a virtualization company. Plus Apple has never been about driving up marketshare for the sake of marketshare - that's a bad business model - just look at Dell and the troubles they're in because thy chased marketshare as the holy grail of business.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
You need to learn what iOS is sir. Your post is crazy confusing. Do you want a variation of a VM on ipad or something?

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
You need to learn what iOS is sir. Your post is crazy confusing. Do you want a variation of a VM on ipad or something?

Your are correct I have a lot to learn IOS. And no I don't want any variation on IPD this is for MAC product line. Just a thought as large companies see things that work they tend to buy the companies. I think Mayflyn's response spoke more to my point.

cheers.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Your are correct I have a lot to learn IOS. And no I don't want any variation on IPD this is for MAC product line. Just a thought as large companies see things that work they tend to buy the companies. I think Mayflyn's response spoke more to my point.

cheers.

iOS isn't on Macs. That's just one reason your post is so confusing.
And no, there's no benefit to Apple buying a virtualization company.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
It's also a bad business idea to advertise that you can do something that someone else's product does only the other product does it for less money.

I think you'll find the number of people that write off OS X because they need Windows is actually pretty small as most tech-savvy people are aware of what the Mac can do. The people that would benefit from the "Look what else Macs can do with Windows" campaign are likely also the ones that would end up going to places like Best Buy and wonder why they'd pay so much more for a Mac when there are cheaper alternatives for running Windows.

You also don't want to make it sound like your product sucks so much that running a different OS is a major selling point. :)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
If Apple wanted to tout "we can run Windows too!" as a major selling point, they could include a product like Fusion or Parallels baked into the OS. Well, they sort of do with Boot Camp, but they could step that up if they wanted.

As for VMware, as maflynn stated, they are much, much more than just "you can run Windows on a Mac". My company uses VMware to run virtualized servers and many other things, including test equipment and customer deployments, for a variety of products and services in the defense and aerospace sector.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Not a lot of people buying laptops these days who used to run Windows. They use a web browser, sometimes a separate mail program, sometimes MS Office. They adapt easily to OS X because they never get near the operating system anyway. Some of them even think Macs run iOS.

The ones who need Windows already know about Parallels and Fusion. They're a minority of Mac buyers. The fact that Apple is the largest laptop vendor and has the majority of the Ultrabook market indicates to me that most buyers don't care about running Windows.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Not a lot of people buying laptops these days who used to run Windows. They use a web browser, sometimes a separate mail program, sometimes MS Office. They adapt easily to OS X because they never get near the operating system anyway. Some of them even think Macs run iOS.

The ones who need Windows already know about Parallels and Fusion. They're a minority of Mac buyers. The fact that Apple is the largest laptop vendor and has the majority of the Ultrabook market indicates to me that most buyers don't care about running Windows.

Yeah, over the past 10 years or so I have noticed a LOT of my friends have switched over. They span all age ranges, from high school and college students to working folk. All they care about is email, web browsing, and Office documents. Some of them want photo or video editing. And the least "tech" hassle as possible. That's more or less it. MacBooks fit the bill perfectly for many people.

The folks I know who steadfastedly refuse to consider Macs are those who require Windows for work or are "advanced user" type people who configure servers in their basements, that sort of thing.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Your are correct I have a lot to learn IOS. And no I don't want any variation on IPD this is for MAC product line.

I don't even know where to start. WTF ?

Why the heck do people think they need to capitalize everything relating to Apple and Macs ?

Nobody does this with MICROSOFT, INTEL or ANDROID.

-t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.