Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harp77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
Hi all.
Currently I have an HP Touchpad - this thing is useless! I am also totally new to the world of Apple. Been a Windows user all my life and tired of their throw-away items. :mad:

Anyways, been thinking of investing in an Ipad, just the basic black one with wifi only. My main uses and corresponding questions are below. Looking for some advice. :)

1) Want to watch my favourite tv shows in bed re: The Office, King of Queens, Fraiser, etc. - do I just purchase these through the Ipad via Itunes? Once I purchase them do I have them forever? Also, if I ever get an Iphone will have access to these shows on my phone since I already purchased them once?

2) I want to be able to highlight and insert notes on PDF's and/or Epubs that I get from work - is this possible?

3) Should I buy used?

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Hi all.
Currently I have an HP Touchpad - this thing is useless! I am also totally new to the world of Apple. Been a Windows user all my life and tired of their throw-away items. :mad:

Anyways, been thinking of investing in an Ipad, just the basic black one with wifi only. My main uses and corresponding questions are below. Looking for some advice. :)

1) Want to watch my favourite tv shows in bed re: The Office, King of Queens, Fraiser, etc. - do I just purchase these through the Ipad via Itunes? Once I purchase them do I have them forever? Also, if I ever get an Iphone will have access to these shows on my phone since I already purchased them once?

2) I want to be able to highlight and insert notes on PDF's and/or Epubs that I get from work - is this possible?

3) Should I buy used?

1) Yes, you can buy or rent them in iTunes and you can see them in your computer, iPad or iPhone.

2) I am not quite sure but I think so. and you can buy Microsoft Word or Apple's Pages.

3) If you have a low budget you should. And maybe with the money you save you can even buy one with more storage. Check apple refurbished center!

Good choice and good luck!

Harp77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
Buying refurb off the actual Apple site - is it worth it? Am I not just buying someone else's problems?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Buying refurb off the actual Apple site - is it worth it? Am I not just buying someone else's problems?

Apple Refurbs from their online store are great. They've gotten extra scrutiny and usually a new screen and casing. They also have the exact Apple Care as a new product and you can extend it to 3 years just like a new Apple product too.

There are Apps like iAnnotate which will let you annotate PDF's, which I've used. You can read PDFs in Pages or iBooks (not sure of you can annotate there and then share them again with notes included, never tried that). If you're reading ePub files in iBooks I know you can annotate those. If you get an iPad, then set up the DropBox app too to help manage files, although it's certainly easy enough to email yourself the relevant files and open them in various apps.

Last edited:

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Hi all.

3) Should I buy used?

1) I don't think The King of Queens is available on iTunes (it isnt in the UK anyway) I just have VLC Player and add them in there to watch on my iPad... And yes, you can watch anything purchased via iTunes on iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone, Apple TV and Mac.

2) Yep, You can add notes to PDF's and ePubs.

3) Apple referbs are just referb'd internalls, the buttons, screen and outer case are all new.

Welcome to the bright side :)

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
yes i just got a refurbed IPAD4 32 gig from the apple store for 499.
its well worth it. the thing is brand new, new battery and outer shell.
cant beat this price for a 32 gig ipad. its the same price as a new 16 gig ipad 4
from the store

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple Refurbs from their online store are great. They've gotten extra scrutiny and usually a new screen and casing. They also have the exact Apple Care as a new product and you can extend it to 3 years just like a new Apple product too.

Slightly incorrect. iPhones, iPads and iPods are only 2 years.

----------

1) Yes, you can buy or rent them in iTunes and you can see them in your computer, iPad or iPhone. !

I would only bother with iTunes if you are going to watch something over and over. Otherwise things like Netflix, Hulu plus etc are more cost sensible. Stupid studios are basically charging full box set prices on iTunes.

Course you can always keep an eye out for special promos and if the price comes down to something more reasonable grab whatever.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Hi all.

3) Should I buy used?

1) Netflix. If you wish to purchase them, you own them for as long as you live. Purchase though iTunes on iPad or Windows, or purchase from Amazon. You could also purchase the physical disc and rip them using Handbrake. Personally we use a combination physical disc/ iTunes.

2) Goodreader. If you need more, then PDF Pen.

3) That's totally up to you. If you do, I suggest buying it through Apple, they treat it as new, plus they come with a new battery.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England

Most people agree buying a refurbished product is actually BETTER.

All items are individually cleaned, any defects fixed and they are rigorously tested before re sale. The only difference you'll notice is that they don't come in retail packaging, merely a box with original accessories (these are all new).

I bought my newest mac refurbished as it was £200 less and it's an absolute bargain. You wouldn't know it wasn't brand new. Works like a dream too.

And also, if for any reason you do have concerns with your refurbished product you can return it within 14 days free of charge. Not to mention Apple has fantastic customer service if you have any questions when you first buy the product (oh and there's a lot of 'handy' people on these forums too!)

alligator34

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
Indiana
Hi all.

3) Should I buy used?

1) You shouldn't need to buy anything, between Crackle, Netflix, network apps (ABC & CBS are both nice) and Hulu you should be able to stream just about anything. Or thats been my experience.

2) I don't do much with PDFs, but adding notes to books in iBooks is super easy.

3) Going for an apple refurb seems to be the way to go if you're curious and nervous about the upfront apple cost.

Harp77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
sorry really dumb question but I can run Netflix through my Ipad?!

Is it the same as watching it on my TV where I still have to pay netflix a monthly fee or if it is on the Ipad is it free?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
No question is too dumb; it makes us feel smart and superior :)

Exact same as watching netflix on your TV or computer. You will have to own a subscription, sign in, to begin watching movies.

You do not need ANOTHER subscription. One subscription allows you to watch all the netflix you want on all of your devices.

Harp77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
thanks 960! I am only 36 but starting to feel like I am falling behind in a world I was once up to date, or thought I was lol!

I have never used netflix - is it all HD quality? I am in Canada and hear the selection of things rather sucks in comparision to the USA.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I use Netflix on my ipad 4, and older movies like HD enough. True Grit won't look like Avatar, but it's pretty good for a 45 yr old movie. ;) Netflix is definitely a bargain for $8 a month, and I use the same subscription on several devices. Pandora works the same way, and both can be used on more than one device at the same time (although there is a max of roughly 3, at least for Netflix).

Harp77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
I just went onto the Apple.com refurb section and the Ipads that were there have now been taken down - does this mean they will not be selling any more refurb if new ones are coming out in Sept/Oct?

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I just went onto the Apple.com refurb section and the Ipads that were there have now been taken down - does this mean they will not be selling any more refurb if new ones are coming out in Sept/Oct?

No they will be back soon, probably tomorrow or sometime in the next week.

Harp77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
So buying used directly from Apple - they don't have dinges or scratches on them? Also, what was wrong with them in the first place that they went back to Apple?

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
New to iPad

When does the next round of new ipads come out?

It's all speculation at this point until Apple announces the new iPads.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

----------

The Refurbished iPads are there in Apple store. Here's the link to them; http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

----------

So buying used directly from Apple - they don't have dinges or scratches on them? Also, what was wrong with them in the first place that they went back to Apple?

There shouldn't be anything cosmetically wrong with them as Apple puts a new outer shell on all of their refurbished products. As far as what was wrong with them, it could be anything from a dead pixel to a light leak problem. Or a return from someone who tried and didn't like the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.