Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a report from Bloomberg, Apple and Time Warner Cable are close to completing a deal that will bring a TWC app to the Apple TV.

A potential partnership between the two companies was first announced in early June, when Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt told investors that the company was in talks with Apple, Samsung, and Microsoft over streaming video deals that mirror the Time Warner Cable's existing partnership with Roku.

watchespn_apple_tv.jpg
The TWC TV app available on the Roku set-top box allows Time Warner Cable subscribers to watch up to 300 live TV channels with any TV connected to a Roku. An Apple TV app would likely operate in the same way, providing cable access and live television channels to Time Warner subscribers without the need for a cable box.

Apple has been slowly expanding the content available on its Apple TV as rumors of a potential revamped set-top box or Apple-branded television set continue to gain traction. Earlier this month, the company debuted several new Apple TV channels including WatchESPN and HBO GO, both of which offer content on the Apple TV to existing cable subscribers. Apple is also said to be in talks with CW about a potential Apple TV app.

To complete the current negotiations with Time Warner Cable, Apple is said to be hiring Pete Distad, Hulu's former senior vice president of marketing and distribution. While no specific timeline is available for the release of the TWC content, a deal is expected to be announced "within a few months."

Article Link: Apple Close to Completing Apple TV Deal with Time Warner Cable

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
More content is good, but I'm looking forward to the day we no longer need that cable subscription, to enjoy all that content.

Dream on, someone has to pay for that content and they're never going to give it away. Whether you pay a cable company or you pay Apple/Netflix/Hulu you will pay in some way for the content you watch, that aspect will never change.

CasperCusumano

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
What if Apple is prepping a streaming service?

iWatch not as a wearable computer but as a service ' i Watch television' ?

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
HBO WITHOUT CABLE SUBSCRIPTION PLEEEEEEEEEASE
seriously. super serious. super duper serious.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
It's all about the margins with Apple. Find the potential 30-40% margin and you find the product. I don't see the margin in strictly the hardware itself for truly "mass" produced products.

Sure, it can be there for lesser runs.

If Apple finds the way to effectively do a la cart TV, then they simply win.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Great, so I'd be substituting one box for another and paying monthly fees for a bunch of channels, 90% of which I don't watch anyway. Pass.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Fingers crossed Apple can please find a way to bypass cable companies. How awesome would it be if they treated content owners as developers and allowed us to choose programming a la carte.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
lol at all people saying "I don't want a cable subscription!".

What do you think pays for TV content?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Dream on, someone has to pay for that content and they're never going to give it away. Whether you pay a cable company or you pay Apple/Netflix/Hulu you will pay in some way for the content you watch, that aspect will never change.

Who said anything about free? Of course content creators/owners need to be compensated. There just has to be another way than the rigid 2 or 3 sizes-fits-all framework we now have.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
What if Apple is prepping a streaming service?

iWatch not as a wearable computer but as a service ' i Watch television' ?

For a second I thought you meant wearable iWatch television streaming.

You know, one of those things that seemed to be a really cool idea back in the 60s before everyone realized it wasn't all that cool.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011

would gladly pay $150-$200/month to have access to every single show on demand including recorded live broadcasts/local tv without ads.

don't like the idea that some part of the cable subscription is paying for hardware upkeep.

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
Am I not using my Apple TV right? I get more content is good, and I suppose this is for people not using their ATV's at home.

My ATV sits next to my TV if I had HBO/TWC/ESPN subscription why would I choose to watch it on the ATV2 over the regular cable box? And if I'm on the go wouldn't I be using the ipad iterations. I guess I just don't see the benefit for me with this new material. Is everyone excited about these apps because they use their ATV outside their home/cable?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Nice

I was hoping this materialized. I have TWC Digital Boxes, VOIP, and IP. Hopefully there will be some type of package for existing customers.

It would be nice to get rid of the boxes. Just depends on the price/package options, and what channels are offered. :apple:

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Absolutely irrelevant news to anyone outside the US, i.e. most of Apple's market. So why is this on page 1?

For the same reason a new store opening in Germany or elsewhere ends up on the front page. It has to do with Apple, not where you're from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.