Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleksxpo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Hello I am totally new to the Mac world and I am interested can I use the MBA for web dev.

My needs are modest:

Adobe Photoshop CS6
Sublime Text 3
MAMP/XAMPP
I do not need to optimize for 3D gaming and such things, although I would like it to be able to run Diablo 3 if that doesn't drive the cost up requiring a faster CPU than the base model.

Has anyone run into problems using the i5 CPU for semi-professional web development on a budget?

Also would the ASUS N56 be a good alternative to it (i would exchange the hard-disk for a SSD).Thanks and ikr i asked something similar before , but i didn't express my needs in the way i wanted.

cake1

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
I my 2013 mb for j2ee and bash programming.
Its fast, responsive and pleasure to work with for java development so I am pretty sure it will be great for your ST/web dev stuff.

The battery lasts around 12 hours of java development and around 9 hours if non-work related activities (Ie. youtube, video calls etc).
I have the 13 inch one

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
i bought a 2012 base when wwdc hit and got it for 950. I use it for .net and i love it. it seems that win7 + visual studio run with less ram usage than 10.8 with eclipse. But ymmv

aleksxpo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
i recently hear there are issues with the wi-fi is it true? I must know since i can't return the machine (no apple store here)

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I my 2013 mb for j2ee and bash programming.
Its fast, responsive and pleasure to work with for java development so I am pretty sure it will be great for your ST/web dev stuff.

The battery lasts around 12 hours of java development and around 9 hours if non-work related activities (Ie. youtube, video calls etc).
I have the 13 inch one

You got 12 hours of use? Really.

cake1

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
You got 12 hours of use? Really.

yup. Of work to be more specific. For me work means, Skype and the email client disabled (not running). No youtube watching and no Facebook use.
Only eclipse, and occasional browser use.

While not working the battery last a lot less for me since I would engage in time wasting activities such as watching videos or using skype to talk to family etc.

prophetx2

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Hello I am totally new to the Mac world and I am interested can I use the MBA for web dev.

My needs are modest:

Adobe Photoshop CS6
Sublime Text 3
MAMP/XAMPP
I do not need to optimize for 3D gaming and such things, although I would like it to be able to run Diablo 3 if that doesn't drive the cost up requiring a faster CPU than the base model.

Has anyone run into problems using the i5 CPU for semi-professional web development on a budget?

Also would the ASUS N56 be a good alternative to it (i would exchange the hard-disk for a SSD).Thanks and ikr i asked something similar before , but i didn't express my needs in the way i wanted.

I have an i5/8gb/256 and have no issues running the exact setup your asking about minus sublime (I use IntelliJ Ultimate instead). I even run a win7 vm constantly during this time to test IE browsers as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.