Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applepancakes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
I love my 2009 Macbook but feel the time is right to upgrade. I'm looking to buy a new iMac desktop computer, probably model: MD093B/A. Apart from the bigger screen and enhanced memory what are the other advantages of imacs compared to my macbook? One downside I have noticed they don't come with a CD/DVD drive, could this pose a problem? Any advice much appreciated :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
CPU and GPU are much better then your 2009 laptop, so you have a better screen, faster GPU faster CPU, faster memory. Larger capacity storage. Basically you need to ask what's not better at this point :)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
One downside I have noticed they don't come with a CD/DVD drive, could this pose a problem?

Beyond the answer that you can add an external drive, you should first ask yourself how often (if ever) you need one. I can't remember the last time I bought software on a disk. It's really only useful for playing CDs or DVDs.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Hey if you want an imac then go ahead and get one. There won't be another one released and shipped until dec. and as for the optical drive, if u REALLY need one u can always buy a cheap non-apple one.

applepancakes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Thankyou!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice, iMac sounds a good option to get and its handy to know I can connect an external cd drive if needed. Thanks again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.