Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Again, unless you actually own both phones, and have experience with them, you really can't comment.

Yes, the S4 has a fantastic camera. No, the beloved iPhone5's camera isn't that good anymore.
If the S4 has a fantastic camera but you feel the iP5 'isn't that good any more' I suggest you actually use it. Then again I don't think you said that based on any truth or knowledge of it, but purely an assumption. What exactly do you base your opinion on out of interest?

----------

If you don't believe me, id love to see some counter evidence.

I actually OWN both devices and the S4's is in a different league. It shoots faster, produced sharper pictures, color reproduction is superior, low light is better, and with Samsung's software (eraser mode, dual camera, action shot, etc), its not even up for debate. Apple is stuck in the past with a lame panorama and HDR modes.

If it pains you to admit that Apple is inferior, then so be it. There's plenty of us who have realized that Apple isn't the company it once was.
As you own both devices, how about we throw down the gauntlet and ask you to post a picture taken from each phone. No photoshop allowed, just an identical picture showing the superior sharpness of the S4 and this colour reproduction you are raving about.

I've seen examples on review sites and they always shown that the iP5 produces a truer colour whereas the S4 over saturates and relies too heavily on pixel reproduction. How about you offer something here and prove it once and for all? :)

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I wish people would stop saying you can't put apps on the sd card. If the developer hasn't coded the app to be moved, then yes you can't, but that's not Google's fault.

If you don't know then please educate yourself

Pitfall 43mb app size before move

Developer has coded app to be moved, hence the 'move' button is highlighted

612kb after the move

Which device is this?

----------

It's amazing to see the discussion change from screen sizes to camera quality. Wow.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I wish people would stop saying you can't put apps on the sd card. If the developer hasn't coded the app to be moved, then yes you can't, but that's not Google's fault.

If you don't know then please educate yourself

Pitfall 43mb app size before move

Developer has coded app to be moved, hence the 'move' button is highlighted

612kb after the move

I don't have the move option on my Note 2. Wonder why that is?

Michael

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I don't have the move option on my Note 2. Wonder why that is?

Michael

After doing a little research I found out that Samsung nerfed it so they could eliminate any compatibility issues with apps. There are still available options with root but it's up to the OEMs if they include this feature or not.

Sorry about that and I stand corrected. I assumed all android devices had this feature enabled... But then again I haven't used a touchwiz device since Samsung's first venture into android with the Behold 2 .... and that was like 4 years ago :D

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
After doing a little research I found out that Samsung nerfed it so they could eliminate any compatibility issues with apps. There are still available options with root but it's up to the OEMs if they include this feature or not.

Sorry about that and I stand corrected. I assumed all android devices had this feature enabled... But then again I haven't used a touchwiz device since Samsung's first venture into android with the Behold 2 .... and that was like 4 years ago :D
Don't worry about it. I still have over 5 GBs free in main memory. Primarily use my memory card for music, media, backups, and ROMs. So no biggie.

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Don't know if this was posted already or not, but HTC is joining in on the "mini" fun: "HTC One Mini appears confirmed by leaked photos"

http://9to5google.com/2013/06/05/htc-one-mini-appears-confirmed-by-leaked-photos/

More options. Options for all.

mini1.png

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There's also an HTC One phablet coming as well.....

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aall/201306040021.aspx

You and I are in the same thread in "Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion" and reading the link above for estimated sales for this year is so completely different to the focustaiwan link I gave in that thread. Your link, issue this week is very bullish for HTC whereas the other Citibank analyst forecast (this week too) is essentially the complete opposite, really bearish.

Clearly one of them is completely out to lunch (Citibank made a mess of Q2 estimates in "my" focustaiwan link)

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
This is where we are in the world of (Android based) smart phones now.....4.3" is considered "mini".

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I think it's a good idea. Something I wouldn't mind Apple doing. It's nice to have choices. You want the bigger phone, you got it. Want the smaller one? Have that option too

Isn't Apple doing that??

Making more phones at every imaginable screen size in .25" variances is not a strategy. It's throwing every possible length of spaghetti noodle against the wall to see what sticks.

Doing so means an ungodly amount of manufacturing costs for Samsung. Not smart. Apple certainly won't follow them in that "strategy".

If Apple reveals a low-cost iPhone this year or next, it will utilize parts and manufacturing systems used by its existing phones (either the 3.5" 4 or 4S or the 4" 5), so don't expect it to have any whizbang features. There won't be a third screen size, especially on a device that is apparently going to be offered at a lower price.

The 5S will not be a larger phone. Anyone who expects it just isn't paying attention. The 5S will be the body of the 5 with better internals.

----------

Oh no, more [and better] options. What will we ever do! :p

How does simply changing the screen size make an option better?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Isn't Apple doing that??

Making more phones at every imaginable screen size in .25" variances is not a strategy. It's throwing every possible length of spaghetti noodle against the wall to see what sticks.

Doing so means an ungodly amount of manufacturing costs for Samsung. Not smart. Apple certainly won't follow them in that "strategy".

If Apple reveals a low-cost iPhone this year or next, it will utilize parts and manufacturing systems used by its existing phones (either the 3.5" 4 or 4S or the 4" 5), so don't expect it to have any whizbang features. There won't be a third screen size, especially on a device that is apparently going to be offered at a lower price.

The 5S will not be a larger phone. Anyone who expects it just isn't paying attention. The 5S will be the body of the 5 with better internals.

----------

How does simply changing the screen size make an option better?

Better in respect to mid range specs. Look at the unofficially specs of the HTC one mini. Google and others have made a commitment to bring better spec-ed mid rangers.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Lame. 4.5+ inches are the perfect size. Anything smaller feels like a toy.

To you.

----------

Better in respect to mid range specs. Look at the unofficially specs of the HTC one mini. Google and others have made a commitment to bring better spec-ed mid rangers.

The only way for this to be a successful strategy is for that to be what they end up selling the most of. In other words, if you have a line of good, better, best options, most people will opt for the middle option if the pricing is done right. If the manufacturing is done right on the back end, this will also just happen to be where they make the most margin.

Do we know if this is true for this mid-ranged phones?

----------

Screen size is basically reaching it's max of what the general public will accept. So introduce smaller options to keep the momentum going. The pendulum swings back n forth, no big surprise.

And yet, peoples' adult hand sizes don't change over time. Hmmm...

----------

Why not try to refute my point without name calling?

I've probably owned more Android/iOS devices than you. Not to mention, Apple devices. Hardly a fandroid.

Weak argument. Classless. Typical iOS supporter.

Pot? Kettle? Black?? Bolding above is mine. The words are all yours.

----------

Of course they don't. The rest of the industry has moved on from tiny, toy-sized 3.5-4 inch phones into the modern era. It's not their fault that iPhone users are stuck in the past.

I can only hope this comment was made with tongue firmly inserted into cheek.

----------

Again, unless you actually own both phones, and have experience with them, you really can't comment.

Yes, the S4 has a fantastic camera. No, the beloved iPhone5's camera isn't that good anymore.

Why are you poisoning the well?

----------

Try going back to an iPhone. It's comically and uncomfortably small, especially the 4/4s.

To you. Because you've become accustomed to a different form factor.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I think there should be only 2 phone sizes. 4.3" and 5". I hope Apple gets on board with iPhone 6 (and with the proper screen sizing). I really wish Samsung and Sony would chill trying to one up each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.