Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BDD888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Toronto, Canada.
if you have iOS6 on your iPad or iPhone now...will we be able to upgrade to iOS7? Or are you stuck with whatever iOS version is on your device?

I've been holding off on buying my first iPad/iPhone because I've been waiting for widgets (e.g. date/time/weather a la android) and flexibility...along with a 5" 1080p screen on the next iPhone. Retina Display on the next iPhone would be good too.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I don't think the original iPad or the iPhone 3GS and below will get iOS 7.

Everything else should though.

I think you should just buy an android device if 1080p and widgets are literally the two things that are stopping you buying a phone though. :rolleyes:

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
An Original iPad already lacks iOS 6. So iPad 2 and 3 may or may not be supported for iOS 7.0, devices not supported stay at the last iOS 6.x.x release which currently is 6.1.3

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
An Original iPad already lacks iOS 6. So iPad 2 and 3 may or may not be supported for iOS 7.0, devices not supported stay at the last iOS 6.x.x release which currently is 6.1.3

The iPad 2 (and 3) will most likely support iOS 7. The iPad mini, which has almost exactly the same internals as the iPad 2, was released with iOS 6. There is very little possibility that it won't get at least one OS upgrade.

Most Apple products support at least 3 major OS releases.

BDD888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Toronto, Canada.
I'm an Apple fan (have 27" iMac and 15" MBP)...like the Mac OS X...and third-party softwares developed for the Mac OS. So, if I can get a iPhone 6, with 1080p/5-inch screen/widgets...even better...I can wait a few more months. See what they announce at WWDC.

Btw...there is an app you can get the app store. That puts the date/time/weather on the desktop. Changes the date/time/weather automatically. It's called "Livewallpaper". Or something to that affect. I have it on my MBP and iMac.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
if you have iOS6 on your iPad or iPhone now...will we be able to upgrade to iOS7? Or are you stuck with whatever iOS version is on your device?

I've been holding off on buying my first iPad/iPhone because I've been waiting for widgets (e.g. date/time/weather a la android) and flexibility...along with a 5" 1080p screen on the next iPhone. Retina Display on the next iPhone would be good too.

Are you asking if it is possible to update to the latest OS on a previous model? If so then yes. That is the great thing about iOS! New features with every major update.... It is only once the hardware cannot handle the new version that you will not be able to update the OS (iPad 1 for example)

BDD888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Toronto, Canada.
You know that's not going to happen this year.

Probably not with the "5s" on it's way. Chances are slim. But, the longer Apple waits to keep up with Samsung's and HTC's latest (plus other Android 1080p/5f" phones)...the more market share they will loose. Good thing for Apple they have a strong fan base.

I was just hoping to buy an iPhone 5s or 6 this Fall with the features i'm looking for (e.g. 5"/1080p screen + widgets + Andrioid-like flexibility). Given the choice I would prefer buying an Apple phone. Guess I'll have to wait a few years for my first iPhone being that I need a new phone "soon" (e.g. 3-year contract).

Might pickup my first iPad though if iOS7 has the rumoured features (e.g. widgets/android flexibility). Apple needs to start innovating again.

Later guys.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Probably not with the "5s" on it's way. Chances are slim. But, the longer Apple waits to keep up with Samsung's and HTC's latest (plus other Android 1080p/5f" phones)...the more market share they will loose. Good thing for Apple they have a strong fan base.

I was just hoping to buy an iPhone 5s or 6 this Fall with the features i'm looking for (e.g. 5"/1080p screen + widgets + Andrioid-like flexibility). Given the choice I would prefer buying an Apple phone. Guess I'll have to wait a few years for my first iPhone being that I need a new phone "soon" (e.g. 3-year contract).

Might pickup my first iPad though if iOS7 has the rumoured features (e.g. widgets/android flexibility). Apple needs to start innovating again.

Later guys.

Apple is losing marketshare do the cheap Android phones that are able to be sold worldwide, not high end expensive Android phones like the HTC One or Galaxy S4.

Think about it. Some places you could get a super cheap phone powered by Android that is still running Android 3.0 or something.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Basically it seems to be whatever device is still in production, or only recently discontinued, receives the latest iOS update.

Now whether you want to update is another matter. Newer versions of iOS always seem to run rather poorly on iDevices that were released two or more years prior. Mostly due to their limited RAM.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA

A 5" 1080p display would give the iPhone a PPI of 441, which is pointless. Once you go over 326 PPI you see absolutely no difference because your eyes can't process the anything higher than 326, hence the term "Retina".

And as said before iPhone 4 and up, iPad 2 and up, and the iPad mini will most likely all get iOS 7 based on past history.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
A 5" 1080p display would give the iPhone a PPI of 441, which is pointless. Once you go over 326 PPI you see absolutely no difference because your eyes can't process the anything higher than 326, hence the term "Retina".

And as said before iPhone 4 and up, iPad 2 and up, and the iPad mini will most likely all get iOS 7 based on past history.
I'm looking at my iPhone 4S now and I can see pixels.

Do I care? No. Can I see them? Yes.
Then again I have good eyesight, so for most it's imperceptible.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I'm looking at my iPhone 4S now and I can see pixels.

Do I care? No. Can I see them? Yes.
Then again I have good eyesight, so for most it's imperceptible.

Anyone can see them if you go up close enough. Retina refers to using it at an average viewing distance, which I believe was 10" but I could be wrong on the distance, that may be for the iPad. The same is happening for 4K TVs. You can't tell the difference unless the TV is over a certain size. That is why most of the 4K TVs available right now are upwards of 60".

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
The iPad 2 (and 3) will most likely support iOS 7. The iPad mini, which has almost exactly the same internals as the iPad 2, was released with iOS 6. There is very little possibility that it won't get at least one OS upgrade.

Most Apple products support at least 3 major OS releases.

My iPhone 5 upgraded to 6.1.4 while the iPad 3 stayed at 6.1.3. This mean anything?

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Apple is losing marketshare do the cheap Android phones that are able to be sold worldwide, not high end expensive Android phones like the HTC One or Galaxy S4.

Think about it. Some places you could get a super cheap phone powered by Android that is still running Android 3.0 or something.

Galaxy S4 is a high end phone? It's expensive, but oh the quality is cheap.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
My iPhone 5 upgraded to 6.1.4 while the iPad 3 stayed at 6.1.3. This mean anything?

No. 6.1.4 was an iPhone 5 specific release to update the audio profile for the speakerphone. The patch did not apply to any other devices.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

iPhone's have had retina level pixel density since the iPhone 4 launched in 2010.

----------

Later guys.
Why wait? What's so important to you about an iPhone when it doesn't do what you want?

You use that word 'innovating", but I don't think you know what it means. "Widgets and Android flexibility", is by definition not innovation, as it's already being done.

If you want Android, get Android.

Top1Dog525

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Florence, MS
I think that the iPad 2 & 3, as well as the iPad Mini, will be compatible with iOS 7; however, if there is an issues it will be that the iPad 2 (maybe mini) will not have ALL of the newest features because of hardware limitations. Just my $.02

BDD888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Toronto, Canada.
Most unbiased people looking for a new phone, or have owned many smartphones or industry "experts" agree that Apple hasn't been "innovating" in their iPhone/iPad/iOS designs for years. Same old iOS design and funtionality. Same phone body design. That is what I was referring to.

At the same time I was hoping to see Android-like "date/time/weather widgets and flexibility" in the next version of iOS. Which appears to be a step closer to being a reality in iOS7. According to rumours.

Apple does need to "innovate" again. Come out with body design and features that does make the industry take notice. Used to be the case when Jobs was at the helm years before his passing. I used to look forward to Apple "new product" launches. Hopefully Apple will include some "innovations" in the future if not in new products then in existing. First Apple needs to catch up and offer a new iPhone with at least a 4.8" 1080p screen, widgets (e.g. date/time/weather) and the same degree of customizability as in a Samsung GS4.

Last edited:

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Most unbiased people looking for a new phone, or have owned many smartphones or industry "experts" agree that Apple hasn't been "innovating" in their iPhone/iPad/iOS designs for years. Same old iOS design and funtionality. Same phone body design. They are taking baby steps to catch up IMHO. That is what I was referring to.

At the same time I was hoping to see Android-like "date/time/weather widgets and flexibility" in the next version of iOS. Which appears to be a step closer to being a reality in iOS7. According to rumours.

Apple does need to "innovate" again. Come out with body design and features that does make the industry take notice. Used to be the case when Jobs was at the helm years before his passing. I used to look forward to Apple "new product" launches. Hopefully Apple will include some "innovations" in the future if not in new products then in existing.

Those same industry "experts" have been wrong every quarter when Apple keeps posting record profits & units sold. What these experts want is a forced technology jump with new devices. Apple came out in 2007 with the iPhone in 2009 launched the iPad, and according to these experts they have done nothing since. Well no one else has either. Wearable devices are the next thing but so far very unproven and get very mixed reactions. I wouldn't expect anything from anyone in the industry that is truly a game changer until 2015 or 2016. If you look at tech history about every 6 to 10 years does something come out that changes the game. We are on the cusp of it, but not quite there yet.

If you like iPhone get an iPhone. If you like Android get one. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Both are good phones. I personally hate the phablet market. I liked the old screen size of the iPhone because you could operate it with one hand. These new screen sizes suck, the phone now requires two hands to operate comfortably. Siri does an ok job to alleviate the need for two handed operation. But Voice Recognition tech is still terribly far behind to actually be useful in day to day operation. *Just my opinion*

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

You will generally get 1-2 iOS updates with any device. Major updates not .x stuff.

I've been holding off on buying my first iPad/iPhone because I've been waiting for widgets (e.g. date/time/weather a la android) and flexibility.

Then keep waiting.

----------

The iPad 2 (and 3) will most likely support iOS 7. .

I wouldn't count on the iPad 2 but the 3 is likely. Or if the 2 does it may be lacking a bunch of features

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Most unbiased people looking for a new phone...

The only "unbiased people" in a discussion about smartphones are the ones that are ignorant of smartphones. I'm not sure that's any better. :)

We all have different things that are important to us.

I wouldn't count on the iPad 2 but the 3 is likely.

It's an odd time to be taking that stance since Apple already announced compatibility with the iPad 2. :D

Or if the 2 does it may be lacking a bunch of features

Obviously. Airdrop is the first one I've heard of. (No hardware support.)

BDD888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Toronto, Canada.
I'm buying in early December. So I can wait for the CRTC's (Canadian Radio & Television Commission...I think...they set the laws in communication in Canada...such as how companies can bill customers..major changes to be implemented as if Dec 2nd) new consumer-favored regulations to take effect.

I'm still holding out for an iPhone 6 with an almost 5" 1080p screen and rumoured iOS7 features. If they don't offer them then I guess I'm going Android.

Btw...I'm not trolling...I have been a fan of Apple hardware and software for decades. I just haven't been motivated to buy either an iPhone/iPad yet in their current versions.

Phablets? I like. Have my eye on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...even with it's incremental change...I figure if you're going to get a smartphone might as well get one with the biggest screen available, with good call receive audio quality, multimedia display-ability (e.g. 1080p screen with a more less accurate color palette), acceptable built-in speakers, good digital still photo/HD video taking ability...One of the major reasons I never bought an iPhone from it's 3.5" screen to the current 4" iPhone 5. Too small still IMHO. To each his own.

Really like the S-pen for the Note. Too bad the iPhone can't do this yet. Act like a Wacom tablet. Perhaps Apple can also offer a phablet. A 6" 1080p. This would put them ahead of the Note 3 (rumored 5.7" screen). Why not buy into the phablet market too?

Last edited:

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I'm buying in early December. So I can wait for the CRTC's (Canadian Radio & Television Commission...I think...they set the laws in communication in Canada...such as how companies can bill customers..major changes to be implemented as if Dec 2nd) new consumer-favored regulations to take effect.

I'm still holding out for an iPhone 6 with an almost 5" 1080p screen and rumoured iOS7 features. If they don't offer them then I guess I'm going Android.

Btw...I'm not trolling...I have been a fan of Apple hardware and software for decades. I just haven't been motivated to buy either an iPhone/iPad yet in their current versions.

Phablets? I like. Have my eye on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...even with it's incremental change...I figure if you're going to get a smartphone might as well get one with the biggest screen available, with good call receive audio quality, multimedia display-ability (e.g. 1080p screen with a more less accurate color palette), acceptable built-in speakers, good digital still photo/HD video taking ability...One of the major reasons I never bought an iPhone from it's 3.5" screen to the current 4" iPhone 5. Too small still IMHO. To each his own.

Really like the S-pen for the Note. Too bad the iPhone can't do this yet. Act like a Wacom tablet. Perhaps Apple can also offer a phablet. A 6" 1080p. This would put them ahead of the Note 3 (rumored 5.7" screen). Why not buy into the phablet market too?

If you want the biggest screen, get a iPad mini or iPad 4 download Google voice. There problem solved and you have a virus free phablet. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.