Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Hi all, I just landed a 16gb 2nd gen touch that will be used strictly for music when in the car and videos for my daughter (when we're stuck in honolulu's terribly congested traffic)...

Given my other devices, I see no reason to do anything else with it. I have no expectation of downloading apps, so iOS compatibility is not an issue. I doubt I'll even set up mail.

My question is, is there any reason to run iOS 4 instead of iOS 3 (isn't iOS 3 what it will restore to)? Honestly, it's been so long since these were released, I don't recall the differences between the to operating systems. I just want the smoothest operation.

Also, would I be able to find an app to play avi, or should I convert movies for play in iTunes?

Cheers

frank.deale

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2010
I hesitated a bit before moving on to IOS 4 because I read that it slowed down many 2Gs, but I took the plunge a couple of years ago and have not looked back. I only use it occasionally for mail and weather checks but it was a great initiation to mobile computers, for me and my daughter.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
good to hear guys, thnx

I can always revert back to 3, so I'm not too concerned.

also when first plugging it into my computer, will iTunes initially want to update to 4? or will it try to force me to iOS 5?

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
good to hear guys, thnx

also when first plugging it into my computer, will iTunes initially want to update to 4? or will it try to force me to iOS 5?

The iPod touch 2G is not capable of running any iOS version after version 4.2.1, so that's the version iTunes will want your device to run.

Warning: The look and feel of the software might seem old.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
good to hear guys, thnx

Not true once you upgrade to the highest version ios your iPod touch will run if you ever restore it it will restore to what ever version you are running currently on the iPod. And no it wouldn't force you to update to an ios that isn't compatible with the iPod. It will just ask if you would like to upgrade to what ever the highest ios that your 2nd gen iPod will run.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Not true once you upgrade to the highest version ios your iPod touch will run if you ever restore it it will restore to what ever version you are running currently on the iPod. And no it wouldn't force you to update to an ios that isn't compatible with the iPod. It will just ask if you would like to upgrade to what ever the highest ios that your 2nd gen iPod will run.

hey, thanks for the clarifications...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My question is, is there any reason to run iOS 4 instead of iOS 3 (isn't iOS 3 what it will restore to)?
Also, would I be able to find an app to play avi, or should I convert movies for play in iTunes?
Some of the AV players in the App Store might still run on iOS 4. That might answer your question of whether to upgrade or not.

As for conversion, the question is, will the videos be smaller, the same size or larger when converted for iTunes? If they're noticeably smaller when converted, it would be worth converting since you only have 16GB.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Some of the AV players in the App Store might still run on iOS 4. That might answer your question of whether to upgrade or not.

As for conversion, the question is, will the videos be smaller, the same size or larger when converted for iTunes? If they're noticeably smaller when converted, it would be worth converting since you only have 16GB.

I noticed that av player, which I use on my iPad 2 will prob not run on a 2g touch - their details in the App Store say 3G touch and up... A ram issue. But maybe if the movie files are compressed enough and nothing else is running in the background, it will be fine.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
So I received my 2g touch... Restored it - it was already running 4.2.1

Perfect for my music needs. I little lagy when scrolling through album artwork.

As a side note, it is amusing to use 4.2.1 after several years of newer iOSs. It's very unrefined in certain regards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.