Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I'm planning on putting two SSDs in the second optical bay, one for OS X and one for Windows, does anyone know a bootable SATA III (6Gb/s) PCI Express card?

Thanks for the help!

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Sonnet tempo is much more expensive. With PCIe controller you can put up to 4 SSDs in optibay.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm planning on putting two SSDs in the second optical bay, one for OS X and one for Windows, does anyone know a bootable SATA III (6Gb/s) PCI Express card?

Thanks for the help!

If you're not using both at the same time (OS X and Windows), any bootable PCIe card will do. But honestly, you're not going to gain much over just connecting them to the existing SATA connectors. Most Operating System and Apps I/O is random in nature and well below the SATA2 ceiling.

This is a single lane card and will bottleneck even a single SSD... again, better off just sticking with the SATA2 backplane.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/computercards/index.html

What about the Sonnet Tempo SSD Cards. Rather then using the Optical Bay, can place directly on the card.

They are even Thunderbolt compatible if you end up going down that route.

Downside is no USB3 compared to the card in the thread, however not sure if you need USB3 as you only mentioned 2 SSD's.

In my research, this appears to be the best solution for anyone who might want to run a pair of SSDs in RAID0 as it has a 4 lane bus so shouldn't throttle performance. I'm not aware of anyone who has actually tried this though as it's fairly new.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
In my research, this appears to be the best solution for anyone who might want to run a pair of SSDs in RAID0 as it has a 4 lane bus so shouldn't throttle performance. I'm not aware of anyone who has actually tried this though as it's fairly new.

I am currently running a Sonnet Tempo Pro in my Mac Pro 5,1 with a pair of 512 GB SSDs in RAID-0 for my photo library (large files) and it performs very well in that application.

Although I do also have it configured to boot OS X with the OS X environment on the RAID-0 array, I really don't see any performance benefit with booting or running OS X files there as compared to the same OS X system installed on a single SSD running on the Mac Pro SATA-II backplane.

Benchmarks obviously show a tremendous speed difference, but actual performance with OS X system access seems to be the same. There is a very noticeable improvement with my photo library located on the RAID-0 SSD on SATA-III PCIe.

I have been unable to boot Windows from this card however, either as the only SSD on the card, or with the second SSD having OS X (which does boot in this configuration). Others users posting here seem to be having the same issues with Windows and PCIe ("external drive") cards.

-howard

Attachments

• 840ProRaid0SonnetPCI.png
    840ProRaid0SonnetPCI.png
    736.5 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
I am currently running a Sonnet Tempo Pro in my Mac Pro 5,1 with a pair of 512 GB SSDs in RAID-0 for my photo library (large files) and it performs very well in that application.

Although I do also have it configured to boot OS X with the OS X environment on the RAID-0 array, I really don't see any performance benefit with booting or running OS X files there as compared to the same OS X system installed on a single SSD running on the Mac Pro SATA-II backplane.

Benchmarks obviously show a tremendous speed difference, but actual performance with OS X system access seems to be the same. There is a very noticeable improvement with my photo library located on the RAID-0 SSD on SATA-III PCIe.

I have been unable to boot Windows from this card however, either as the only SSD on the card, or with the second SSD having OS X (which does boot in this configuration). Others users posting here seem to be having the same issues with Windows and PCIe ("external drive") cards.

-howard

Also someone posted benchmark results of their Tempo Pro SSD setup as RAID 0, and IIRC it outperformed the OWC Accelsior PCIe SSD.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

-howard

Yeah, sorry, I had forgot you and scottrichardson both had these and they performed very well on benchmarks. But as you say for an OS Apps drive it won't make much difference... Media files are another story. My 3x SSD array did wonders for my large photo libraries and RAW to TIFF conversions into NIKs tools.

Also someone posted benchmark results of their Tempo Pro SSD setup as RAID 0, and IIRC it outperformed the OWC Accelsior PCIe SSD.

There is definitely something throttling the Accelsior... Perhaps the SATA to PCIe bridge or the x2 bus interface or something.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Sonnet tempo is much more expensive. With PCIe controller you can put up to 4 SSDs in optibay.

With this SYBA controller from you link you'll end with about 200MB/s per drive using 4 SSDs on one card. You'd need at least 2 such cards. Even if they use max bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x2 connector, one card would be suitable for no more than 2 SATA III SSDs (such as 840 Pro).

From reviews I've read on newegg, this card tops out 350MB/s per drive with 2 SSDs connected and about 200MB/s with 4.

Could you post some benchmarks as you have this card installed? It would be interesting to see them.

Last edited:

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
With this SYBA controller from you link you'll end with about 200MB/s per drive using 4 SSDs on one card. You'd need at least 2 such cards. Even if they use max bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x2 connector, one card would be suitable for no more than 2 SATA III SSDs (such as 840 Pro).

From reviews I've read on newegg, this card tops out 350MB/s per drive with 2 SSDs connected and about 200MB/s with 4.

Could you post some benchmarks as you have this card installed? It would be interesting to see them.

From Corsair Force GT 180GB i got 210 write and 360 read. Better than 185 / 210 from SATA 2 on Mac Pro + I saved internal ports for HDDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.