Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
Hi there,

I'm trying to sync about 6000 books to my boss's iPad (4th Gen).

My problems is that after syncing all the books in my library only some are available to read others show some kind of downloading symbol. I don't understand why? I have the epubs on my computer (tried this with both a PC and a Macbook Air) and then sync them to the iPad but still not all the books sync across to the iPad and I reckon more than half are unable to be read.

To top it off, the when trying to sync after the initial sync it always hangs on 'Waiting for changes to be applied' Which can be either step 4 of 4 or step 5 of 5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k57f8svwy7efkz/iBooks.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyrr9xlfhftp3c6/Screen%20Shot%202013-07-03%20at%2011.48.41%20AM.png

Can anyone help me out with this?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What computer are you syncing from, yours or your boss's?

Where did those books come from, iBooks store or from other sources?

Do they have DRM?

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
What computer are you syncing from, yours or your boss's?

Where did those books come from, iBooks store or from other sources?

Do they have DRM?

I have tried a PC at work, when I got this outcome I thought that it was just iTunes on PC being stupid so I brought in my own Macbook Air and copied them all over and tried that with the same outcome.

The books are all epubs my boss got from a friend on a thumbdrive.

As for DRM I can't confirm that all don't - is there a simple way to find out? :confused: But I can confirm at least some don't as I tried syncing some individually to my iPhone to check if the epubs were corrupted or had DRM (even though itunes doesn't ask to authorise the computer) and books that have a loading symbol on the iPad sync perfectly to my iPhone.

Thanks for the reply

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hmmm, is your boss's iPad set to sync the ePubs, or are you doing manual drag and drop? Either way, I'd try syncing about a hundred books at a time, but this is easier to do with manual drag and drop.

As for checking if an ePub is DRMed, you can download an ePub reading program onto your computer, like Calibre or maybe Barnes & Noble's Nook, and see if they'll open. If it is DRMed, you'll get an error saying the file can't be opened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.