Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abertram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Hello all,

I have a question that in hindsight is probably dumb, but I just can't seem to figure out.

I thought that the whole point of dropbox, and other kinds of "cloud" storage was just that, the stuff you put there is stored in the cloud, rather than your computer.

I have dropbox, and I regularly put files like videos and documents into my dropbox folder from my mac. I also upload files from my computer to the dropbox website itself. Sometimes, I upload photos from my phone to my dropbox account.

My problem is that if I have 4.3 GB let's say, taking up my dropbox folder, 4.3 GB will be removed from my computer.

If I delete some or all of the items in the dropbox folder, I will free up that much space on my mac's harddrive.

Am I doing something wrong? This sounds like the exact opposite of what I want? Do I just have a completely wrong idea of what "the cloud" is?

Shouldn't stuff stored in the cloud NOT be taking up your hard drive space?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What you describe is how Dropbox is supposed to work. It's like a hybrid cloud storage service. It allows you to have access to your files in the cloud and offline - if you don't have an Internet connection.

Other services are purely cloud-based and store nothing on the computer.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
SandboxGeneral is right.

Also, you might not like a "cloud-only" storage system they're sluggish compared to accessing files on your local drive.

But, you could try this...and it works relatively well:

If you don't already have one, set up a new Gmail account. Then, if you don't already have it, download and install Cyberduck. Next, start Cyberduck and open a connection of the "Google Docs" variety (drop down menu) and enter your login credentials. From here you can drop files and folders in (to upload) and drag them out (to download). Or, you can right-click a file and "Edit with" the application of your choice...this way the file doesn't get downloaded.

Google now allows a total of 15GB of free storage for email and documents. If you're not using the email you can use it all for documents. Also, file version history is saved at Google if something needs to be recovered but you'll have to use the web interface to access that.

Be aware that if you work this way and don't come up with a backup method you've only got one copy of what's up there.

Yigit

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
London
I am also looking for the same thing to make the best use of my 128gb hard drive.

Cyberduck. Next, start Cyberduck and open a connection of the "Google Docs" variety (drop down menu) and enter your login credentials.

For a moment I was excited to finally find a solution like this, I just downloaded Cyberduck, but couldn't manage to make it work for Google Drive.

Then I've found this: It looks like they have dropped support for Google Drive and Dropbox.

Any other suggestions?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do I just have a completely wrong idea of what "the cloud" is?
You have a completely wrong idea of how Dropbox works. If you want a totally cloud based storage solution then you need to look elsewhere. As pointed out above, be aware that there may be performance concerns with cloud-only solutions -- especially with larger files and slower connectivity.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
You have a completely wrong idea of how Dropbox works. If you want a totally cloud based storage solution then you need to look elsewhere. As pointed out above, be aware that there may be performance concerns with cloud-only solutions -- especially with larger files and slower connectivity.

Actually, Dropbox does support some of what the OP is asking for (assuming I understand the question correctly). They keep it "somewhat hidden"... but the function is called "selective sync"... and it restricts selected folders from being synced to certain computers. Here is a link to the function:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/175/en

As far as I know (I do not use selective sync)... the data should still be available from the dropbox website.

Having said that... I agree that dropbox is not primarily designed to be a service where your data is solely stored in the cloud. Dropbox is an incredible tool to synchronize data across several computers. As a user of two primary computers (iMac and MBA)... this is extremely valuable. I also use it to share data with friends and family. From what I've seen... Dropbox is best in its class.

/Jim

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Actually, Dropbox does support some of what the OP is asking for (assuming I understand the question correctly). They keep it "somewhat hidden"... but the function is called "selective sync"... and it restricts selected folders from being synced to certain computers.

Fascinating, I wasn't aware of that feature and I'll have to investigate it. Thank you!
From what I've seen... Dropbox is best in its class.

/Jim

Much agreed.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I am also looking for the same thing to make the best use of my 128gb hard drive.

For a moment I was excited to finally find a solution like this, I just downloaded Cyberduck, but couldn't manage to make it work for Google Drive.

Then I've found this: It looks like they have dropped support for Google Drive and Dropbox.

Any other suggestions?

Download the last version to support Google Drive.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I tend to use Dropbox and an external store device best of both worlds then. Don't simply only rely on Dropbox that's my suggestion.

Tony22D

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
Cloud Storage

You might want to check out a company called Bitcasa. They offer a what seems to be a great version of cloud storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.