Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Really? free for just the main page then i have to pay you to edit the other ones? I'm not going to pay for a feature that apple will build right into launchpad within a couple of months. I'll gladly donate if a developer is genuinely out to help the community but I'm not going to be forced to pay a developer who's only out to make a quick buck!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The fact that Apple doesn't have something like launchpad control integrated in there by now really bewilders me. Makes you wonder what the heck is going on over there.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Developers are going to have a field day fixing all the effed up stuff in Lion. Launchpad is a great place to start. I'll be following this thread to see how the various solutions are working out. Lion is possibly going to end up costing between fifty and one hundred dollars to make operational.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
why are there no apps like this launchpad-control on the Mac app store?

Because apple will not allow those types of apps into the MAS. Utilities that alter some of apple's features are generally not blessed by apple to go into the Mac App Store.

ltphilpot

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Developers are going to have a field day fixing all the effed up stuff in Lion. Launchpad is a great place to start. I'll be following this thread to see how the various solutions are working out. Lion is possibly going to end up costing between fifty and one hundred dollars to make operational.

How do you figure this? I haven't had a single issue with Lion and I've been using it since launch day. I'm having issues with launchpad but its a nuisance not something that makes it non operational.

scinto32

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2011
Give this one a try: http://attilamiklosi.net/launchpadmanager/

It's free, native os x app, and has a nicer UI than Launchpad control. Well, depending on your taste.
Also you can pretty much do all the basic stuff you need to in the free version and if you want to do crazy things like alphabetical ordering you can buy it for 5 bucks.

Last edited:

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I just tried it. If you're gonna use this method, kiss icon organization goodbye

Just as Apple intended. It's all about the beginners and keeping it simple.

As Apple "simplifies" and dilutes the interface, those of us who are fast with keyboard shortcuts, Automator, and the Terminal, are going to miss what we once had.

Yes I know, it's not gone yet... but it's not looking good except to the newbies.

jayprime

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
update?

I have the same problem with SC2 app, I just put it in another window.

How do you delete the app from launchpad did you figure it out i have the same problem and i have 9 sc2 and then a test and other icons.

brumlebassen

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
This trick did it for me

I am new to the macworld and I have had sort of the same issue. I found this article:

http://techtips.salon.com/uninstall-program-macbook-pro-1662.html

Step 4 solved my problem. I wanted to uninstall the programs that still showed up in launchpad.

It may not work for you but it did for me.

I see that this tread is old but I postet here becasue this place is one of the million places I have been to trying to understand how to use and maintain my mac.

JasonZeppelin

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Worked for me

I am new to the macworld and I have had sort of the same issue. I found this article:

http://techtips.salon.com/uninstall-program-macbook-pro-1662.html

Step 4 solved my problem. I wanted to uninstall the programs that still showed up in launchpad.

It may not work for you but it did for me.

I see that this tread is old but I postet here becasue this place is one of the million places I have been to trying to understand how to use and maintain my mac.
This worked for me.

Search in Spotlight, drag to Trash.

timmc94

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Adding to Launchpad in OS X Mavericks

Command-Option-Control-Click on the icon you want to disappear immediately. (I have no idea why the **** I thought to try this.)

Dropping an app icon from the Finder onto the Launchpad icon in the Dock will add the app to Launchpad.

Unfortunately, that feature seems to be removed from OS X Mavericks. (At least as of Dev Preview 2) I knew that trick, but I can't get it to work anymore... I'm hoping there's another way, like maybe a TXT or XML file in the System Library? I'll do some digging.

Karlitr0s

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
Unfortunately, that feature seems to be removed from OS X Mavericks. (At least as of Dev Preview 2) I knew that trick, but I can't get it to work anymore... I'm hoping there's another way, like maybe a TXT or XML file in the System Library? I'll do some digging.

I know this is old news, but I managed it by holding cmd and dragging my app from the dock onto the launchpad dock icon. If you don't hold cmd, the icons just swap around.

MysteryMacUser456

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2019
Command-Option-Control-Click on the icon you want to disappear immediately. (I have no idea why the **** I thought to try this.)

Dropping an app icon from the Finder onto the Launchpad icon in the Dock will add the app to Launchpad.

yo thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.