Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
copy and paste from other post just in case some find it useful:

we went through the same ordeal yesterday: outer FedEx box was somewhat squished at one end, the inner bubble wrap inside had no air, but the iPhone5 box was in good shape, just minor dents here and there. However, the iPhone5 inside had a dent on the top of the volume down button and the device seemed to bent at that point.

called verizon cs a few times and they all asked to file a claim with FedEx. So we filed claim with FedEx as well. Didn't feel like verizon did its job to take care of its customer.

We took the damaged device to near by Apple store and they happily processed it under warranty. They simply swap out just device. We kept the original iPhone5 box and accessories.

Verizon, we're simply disappointed in the way your cs reps handled this case. Thumbs up to Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1W5NLIBIo
you probably just ended up with a refurb device....

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
So I've had my iPhone 5 for about a month and its been great. Yesterday I brought my phone with me to the gym in my backpack and had it under the bench press that I was using. Somehow a 35lb plate fell off one of the rods and landed on the center right of the phone. At first I didn't see the bend but I did notice a few pink dots on my screen and was worried that something magnetic might have damaged the screen. Then I noticed the bend when I looked at the side of my phone. It has a slim belkin case on it and the screen didn't crack just a bend in the back aluminum piece and I think the glass on the top right is starting to protrude out of the aluminum side. I have verizon insurance so I can pay for a replacement.

My question is if the Asurion/Verizon replacement will be a crappy refurb like I've received for other phone models or if its going to be virtually the same thing.

A buddy of mine got his white iPhone 5 replaced by Asurion recently and he got a sealed retailed box. Unfortunately it had scratches all over the bezel, which is another story entirely.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
This reminds me when I took a motorcycle safety class 4 years ago. They said that cheap aftermarket handlebars normally break in pieces while OEM handlebars bend.

Guess Apple does use high quality materials after all.

Sent from a Note 2.

ajt1995

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
I have no explanation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 202

AppleCruncher

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
I agree but the 5 can and will possibly be bent

Yep. Super light, super thin, it's going to bend. Seems they all happen at the rockers. Makes sense since there is very little metal there.

Everyone wanted thinner thinner thinner and now they see what can happen.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Think apple will do anything? I live 2 hours from the store.

I do have AppleCare+ but I don't want to pay the $50 for, what I think, should be a warranty issue.

You can give it a try but the phone was not bent out of the box. Be very nice to the Geeks and they might . . . . .

seems like a pretty shi-t-ty phone to me if thats the case;)

Apple is just giving everyone what they wanted, veryt thin and very light.
LIke it or leave it!

Yep. Super light, super thin, it's going to bend. Seems they all happen at the rockers. Makes sense since there is very little metal there.

Everyone wanted thinner thinner thinner and now they see what can happen.

Yep, I will take thicker and more weight for ROBUST any day!

Last edited:

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Last week a client came in with his laptop under warranty. He said the display was broken. The LCD was clearly broken/cracked, even the hinge was out of the plastic. He spent 2 hours discussing with me that the laptop wasnt hit and it broked just like that, staying on his desk during the night when it was obvious for any racional human that the laptop suffered a hit.

The bent iPhone sound to me the same. It was in my pocket and when I got it out it was like that...yeah, right!

Under normal usage, my ass!

I dont belive that the whole structure of the phone bented just like that. Some people just treat their stuff like animals, thats the truth.

Is is posible that there may be some defective units? Sure, hundred or thousand, but not all.

Last edited:

HidingAmatanth

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
If it was all abuse of the phone, how in the world is everyone bending it in the exact same place with the same "impact mark"?

I had a bent phone too. It came out of the box that way. I hadn't even removed the plastic on the phone or turned it on. So I did nothing to the thing that would cause it to bend.

I'm not saying it is all "spontaneous" or "just happened". Clearly, there is a cause behind it. But is the cause due to user abuse or design flaw/very poor QC in the production of the shell?

If it were just few incidents like this, then yes it would be more than possible to chalk it all up to user abuse or just wanting attention. However, not this many cases.

And Apple does seem to be replacing them now under the warranty. Why would they if it wasn't a flaw?

ajt1995 My advice would be; go in if you are in the area (but make an appointment first) and see what they say. You don't have to swap it out for $49 and a strike even if that is what they say in the end. You are still free to leave with the phone you came in with.

And before someone jumps on my join date, I know I am a new poster. I have been a lurker off and on for a couple of years now. I just never felt the need to post anything until recently.

ajt1995

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
If it was all abuse of the phone, how in the world is everyone bending it in the exact same place with the same "impact mark"?

I had a bent phone too. It came out of the box that way. I hadn't even removed the plastic on the phone or turned it on. So I did nothing to the thing that would cause it to bend.

I'm not saying it is all "spontaneous" or "just happened". Clearly, there is a cause behind it. But is the cause due to user abuse or design flaw/very poor QC in the production of the shell?

If it were just few incidents like this, then yes it would be more than possible to chalk it all up to user abuse or just wanting attention. However, not this many cases.

And Apple does seem to be replacing them now under the warranty. Why would they if it wasn't a flaw?

ajt1995 My advice would be; go in if you are in the area (but make an appointment first) and see what they say. You don't have to swap it out for $49 and a strike even if that is what they say in the end. You are still free to leave with the phone you came in with.

And before someone jumps on my join date, I know I am a new poster. I have been a lurker off and on for a couple of years now. I just never felt the need to post anything until recently.

Thanks! But, I can live with it for now. Actually, last night or drove my OCD to insane levels and I just forced the phone to go straight, little by little until it matched my dad's.

The aluminum above the volume button cracked, but its okay, the phone doesn't feel curved anymore. I'll save the AppleCare until my phone is *so* bad I can't stand it. (I work on fiberglass crew, we repair watersides, something is bound to go wrong eventually)

TomasLomba

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
My iphone five bent exactly in the same way and has the same crack, do you know what i dod? I bent it back to its original shape, its better no but not perfect though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.