Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Precisely what I thought as well when I saw the picture. But wouldn't heat from the battery be a possible issue?

Good point. I am not sure how the heat would be dissipated. If the power draw was distributed equally throughout the band with no one cell, or group of cells taking the brunt maybe that would mitigate some of the heat. Again, I don't know. I am sure there are some smart people on this forum who can provide a more cogent answer to that question.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
If this is for the rumored iWatch, you can bet that the batteries will be integrated into the watches wrist straps.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The drawing even looks like a cross section of a watchband. It would get around the battery life issues with something of such a small size.

thatsallfolks

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
If this is for the rumored iWatch, you can bet that the batteries will be integrated into the watches wrist straps.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The drawing even looks like a cross section of a watchband. It would get around the battery life issues with something of such a small size.

So... the iWatch is gonna have a bulky strap that makes your wrist really warm over time. I don't see how this can fail..:rolleyes:

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
So... the iWatch is gonna have a bulky strap that makes your wrist really warm over time. I don't see how this can fail..:rolleyes:

Who says it has to be bulky? several thin stripped batteries all acting as one. I assume it would be slightly less thick than an iPad Smart Cover

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
Nothing new here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 58

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
With flexible screens such as Youm, there could be a possibility that Apple have their sights on creating a flexible idevice in the near future, hence developing a flexible battery design in preparation for such a device.
Well lets hope so.

The future is looking exciting again. :D

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
...Apple's patent also suggests that a flexible battery pack could have certain cells removed to incorporate thermoelectric coolers, flashes, or a camera, allowing the battery to fit more snugly into a small space...

This part confuses me. Obviously, removing any part of a battery pack will make it smaller, but it will also reduce the time it can power a device. Is it possible Apple's patent suggests something else, instead, about the advantages of being able to remove certain cells?

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Yeah, I can just see all those Phablet freaks wanting to swap their 5"+ screens for a dinky 1" square thing.

The jury is out for me personally, I am yet to see how an iWatch will improve my life.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Bendable battery.....

Hmmmmm...............

That sounds like a great idea and in no way could I see this thing malfunctioning and burning a person's wrist :rolleyes:

----------

You see this and think wow how simple ... how is this not an existing patent. Apple you patent geniuses!

The most elusive ideas are often hiding in plain sight. It just takes someone with clear vision to see it. That's been the case throughout history. Think about how many inventions made you say "of course, why didn't anyone else think of that."

You 2 must be kidding right ?

Maybe you're meant to besties forever

HomeMovies_WalterPerry1-720519.png

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
My whole point was to highlight 2 pieces of tech from Apple and Samsung, that together, could possibly produce something interesting.[/B]

Sorry.. it wont happen. Apple can partner Sony.. Sharp...Toshiba.. etc... etc... and hope Apple new partner wont copy them.

crabbo

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
Wow - how low can they sink with these laughable patent applications?

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
Mac Rumors seems like bizarro world to me.

EVERYONE I talk to would much rather have a watch that they can forget about because it's on their wrist instead of always having to 'remember' to bring their cell phone along. The cell phone gets misplaced at home like a remote control, it's left in the cup holder of your car, it's bulky in your pants when jogging, have to put it down in your bag when you do something like play tennis, then have to remember to take it out. You won't drop it. etc. etc.

I'd much rather have a wristwatch where I can glance at it - oh, so and so texted or tweeted, good. continue on with my day. oh, so and so called, I'll call them back when I'm done here... and rarely use the actual cell phone except in the process of writing a text, looking up a web site or calling someone.

I really think the watch is a complete game changer once the right watch comes out. And nobody has done it yet.

I can think of just as valid reasons NOT to want to wear my iPhone on my wrist, like
  • It would have a much smaller screen. Even if flexible and iPhone 5 size, part of it would be curved out of sight when you wear it.
  • Even when you don't use it, it would often accidently scratch or be scratched by other objects.
  • I would be quite heavy
  • You'd get that typically sweaty locally sweaty skin underneath it
  • You'd have to still take it off / on often to charge, when navigating in the car etc.

I must say that some arguments are not very strong, like 'where to put it when you don't use it'. Where do you put your keys and money when you play tennis?

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Flexible 24inch iPad Maxi (or iMac portable) with thunderbolt 2, two 1.8" Raid 0 SSDs.

CF card slot.
Monitor and record raw video straight from your DSLR.

Drop it on the floor, throw it at the wall.
$1,200.

The youth of the world lose all meaning to the term "Desktop"

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Wow. How can the patent system be so broken? This is completely obvious and I should have patented it and I can be making millions by now because I know more about patents than Apple. /s

Yeah, super easy. Hey I have an idea: you just go and file a patent now that they'll need for a future project. Then just let the millions roll in.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
while LG and samsung are busy bringing out flexible phones this year, apple is busy getting patents for it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
neat... flexible battery ...

What else. .... ??

all i see is the link in between better be strong, and not just rubbery, otherwise you can easily break it and loose connection. Must be hard plastic maybe , or metal... (I doubt Apple would do that).

The first thing i bet people will do is when they get the "iWatch" is try and go diving with it, only to realize "hey,, my watch just died" lol

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Should this turn into a wristband-based power source... I hope Apple patents a far more impressive ultra-strong skin / casing for this battery comprised of structured carbon nano-tubes - wrapped with Kevlar fabric and Nomex just in case the first 2 fail.

Being human, and having smashed many parts of my body, on many different items - I'd like to avoid the adrenaline based scramble to get the explosively flaming bracelet free of my wrist.

Those who have seen these batteries undergo thermal runaway in person - will appreciate where I'm coming from. Though I'm sure Walter and Perry would get a kick out of it - being they're very dark individuals...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.