Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sf23103

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Hello,

I just purchased a new 27" iMac (fully maxed out incl. SSD)

I have used it for about an hour so far, and the only thing I've installed is firefox. Suddenly, it started going to sleep by it's self. I can wake it up and go right to the login screen, only to have it log out unexpectedly and repeatedly. I can be in firefox, safari, or with no applications open.

I turned off auto log-out, and changed the energy settings to never sleep. I repaired disk permissions. The problem persists.

I am now re-installing Mountain Lion. Any ideas?

roblith

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
Cape Town
Unexpected and repeated log-out problem

I found that eventually digging around in the /Library/Internet-plugins and removing some old files the logout loop stopped. Did this after booting in safe mode (hold shift down when booting).

I also removed some LaunchDaemons which were old - but did both at the same time so I’m not sure exactly which change fixed it!

Regards,
Rob

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I found that eventually digging around in the /Library/Internet-plugins and removing some old files the logout loop stopped. Did this after booting in safe mode (hold shift down when booting).

I also removed some LaunchDaemons which were old - but did both at the same time so I’m not sure exactly which change fixed it!

Regards,
Rob
This wouldn't apply to a new system with just Firefox installed.

I am now re-installing Mountain Lion. Any ideas?
If it keeps happening after you reinstall OS X, you might have a hardware issue. Mind you, I'm sure what could be wrong with the symptoms you describe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.