Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
NTT DoCoMo to worried about name branding and their APPS as opposed to $$$$$$$$$$. As their profits go down they'll learn like every other company.
On the other hand, do you think Apple would just walk away from getting a few million customers out of that 60-million addicted to iOS, if it doesn't get what it wants? Tomorrow: "Apple stock prices drop on docomo deal impasse"? lulz

Quit thinking how Apple is completely innocent and how NTT is ebil. Both companies have their reasons to play hardball. Both have a lot to lose by refusing to compromise and broker a deal.

Now, if I'm a short-seller, I'd want Apple to either not deal with them, or be forced to install carrier bloatware. Either outcome is ripe for a selling (read: profit) opportunity.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
LOL... Seriously?

It's Apple's phone; you play by their rules if you want to sell it. Simple enough.

You have that right. Was told that, Jobs throwing Verizon out of Cupertino a month before the iPhone launch stunned those on both sides trying to work a deal.

IMO, stick by your guns Apple. You let a wireless carrier push you around concerning features, you'll break and be just one more phone in a carrier catalog.

There were many rumors that Palm had Skype-like features operating on Treo prototypes communicating voice over WiFi. Supposedly, the carriers didn't want a paradigm shift like this perceiving it would bite into their billings. In reality, a feature like this expanded the customer base and increase the carrier revenue since WiFi is not everywhere.

Was even told that the PCB layout on the Treo was altered so the microphone only traced into the cellular ICs and not the general purpose processor. Never popped one open to confirm that. Did anyone here?

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Was told that, Jobs throwing Verizon out of Cupertino a month before the iPhone launch stunned those on both sides trying to work a deal.
Then again, Steve is an egomaniac, not particularly well-liked by its employees. A common refrain back then: don't cross him, or you're fired.

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Samsung 20% Market Share in Japan?

It doesn't surprise me that Samsung only has a 20% market share for phones in Japan. I bet a contributing factor is the hatred that Koreans and Japanese have toward each other. If the only two available phones in Japan were the GS4 and a can on a string, Samsung would still have about the same market share.

So yes Apple does not have real competition in Japan and is negotiating from a position of strength. DoCoMo will continue to lose market share to the smaller carriers because of the iPhone.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
this is the problem of letting MBAs run large companies. They don't have commitment to their product,and are constantly looking for new ways to monetise their products through expansion and diversification, with the result that they forget their core functions and the need ot constantly perfect it.

Think of beleaguered Apple in the early nineties before Jobs returned and got them to concentrate on four key product lines.

Carriers a mere six years ago were the same as Apple in the early nineties. Instead of being the best pipe they can be, concentrating on making sure they have good coverage and high performing speeds, the tried to expand into entertainment and services that sit on top of the network. The treasure invested in developing these things was a gravy train for the MBAs sitting at the top of the programs, but it was treasure diverted from the core functions of network performance.

And because it is not a core function of the business, these products are always inferior to the products of companies that have those products as their bread and butter, and are more than capable of producing an app for it.

Carriers are a phone network, not an entertainment company. They should concentrate on the pipes and stop trying to force inferior crap onto us.

And Apple sells to 100s of carriers. While Apple might like to expand in the japanese market, it don't wont miss dotcomo in a global sense. How many years has iphone been out now?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Then again, Steve is an egomaniac, not particularly well-liked by its employees. A common refrain back then: don't cross him, or you're fired.

Sounds like every CEO in every company in every country throughout the world.

Steve is or Steve was? Did you know that he passed away?

----------

On the other hand, do you think Apple would just walk away from getting a few million customers out of that 60-million addicted to iOS, if it doesn't get what it wants? Tomorrow: "Apple stock prices drop on docomo deal impasse"? lulz

Quit thinking how Apple is completely innocent and how NTT is ebil. Both companies have their reasons to play hardball. Both have a lot to lose by refusing to compromise and broker a deal.

Now, if I'm a short-seller, I'd want Apple to either not deal with them, or be forced to install carrier bloatware. Either outcome is ripe for a selling (read: profit) opportunity.

How is a company innocent or guilty in business negotiations?

If Apple applies the same rules to DoCoMo as every other partner/carrier, what are they guilty of? Guilty of being fair?

How old are you, does your father work for DoCoMo?

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
How stupid? I can see this type of attitude back in 2007 and 2008 when the phone was trying to get its legs, but as we approach 2014, this type of attitude is just plain ignorant on NTT DoCoMo's part. They can't win. They should understand this by now. Apple truly doesn't need them, but they do need Apple.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
Crucial numbers not given in this MR article: what percentage of the Japanese smartphone market is with this certain carrier? If it's just barely the biggest, who cares? If it's larger than all the others combined, it matters.

I quick Google search showed there are 9 phone carriers in Japan. Considering the article states DoCoMo has 60 million customers (roughly 50% of Japan's population), that would leave 50% (sort of, we should not count kids) for 8 remaining players.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
This is what makes an iPhone & Apple legends! Their elegant and masterfully designed devices are free of stupid bloat wares, annoying GIMMICKS or ads (like what carriers or iCopyCats do).

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
How stupid? I can see this type of attitude back in 2007 and 2008 when the phone was trying to get its legs, but as we approach 2014, this type of attitude is just plain ignorant on NTT DoCoMo's part. They can't win. They should understand this by now. Apple truly doesn't need them, but they do need Apple.

Exactly.

The iPhone is now on over 100 carriers around the world. So this one carrier in Japan thinks they're gonna make Apple bend to their will?

Best of luck to them.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
RIM had a CEO who knew better

----------

Or
Verizon used to bundle with their devices - do they regret taking the iPhone without their preloaded junk

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You ship the iPhone as-is, and add a brochure to the package that introduces the lineup of NTT DoCoMo's Apps on the App Store, along with directions how to get them?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=NTT DOCOMO
Exhibit A: Quote from Call Logs Widget: "Never used it and I wish I could uninstall", Exhibit B: All Apps have mostly zero-star reviews.

Than again, if those are the Apps in question, just don't. The iPhone has a photo manager and a calendar, and I'm pretty sure that there's a Japanese disctionary built-in.

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

And how many customers will Apple lose when they can no longer guarantee updates for every current generation iPhone? That's what will inevitably happen if they cave into this carrier's demands. Suddenly other carriers will want their apps pre-loaded too.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Crucial numbers not given in this MR article: what percentage of the Japanese smartphone market is with this certain carrier? If it's just barely the biggest, who cares? If it's larger than all the others combined, it matters.

It has roughly 45% share with Softbank and au having about 22-27% each.

----------

This is what makes an iPhone & Apple legends! Their elegant and masterfully designed devices are free of stupid bloat wares, annoying GIMMICKS or ads (like what carriers or iCopyCats do).

And it's the same story with a Mac vs. a Window machine full of trial software and bloatware. These are places where Apple really shines.:D

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
DoCoMo, nobody wants your "Lifestyle", branding, bloatware, or splash-screen.

All we need from you is a large, fast, wide, unlimited data pipe for a low monthly fee. We'll take from there...

K? Thanks. Bye.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Kinda hoping the same for NTT DoCoMo, showing that Apple cannot dictate every carrier they want :)

Only a rabid Apple hater would take the side of a carrier wanting to install bloatware and junk on any phone.

Kinda reminds me of poor to medium class republicans in the US protesting in support of lowering taxes on the rich. "Hey rich people, ***** me! ***** me!"

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
that's the power of iphone.....massive
i'll surely switch back to the iphone when they'll release the iphone 5s.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
So many clueless and thoughtless iDefenders whose left hands don't know what their right hands are doing. :rolleyes:
Think of beleaguered Apple in the early nineties before Jobs returned and got them to concentrate on four key product lines.
Steve Jobs couldn't save Apple even after he was re-hired to run the ship. Microsoft did.
Carriers are a phone network, not an entertainment company. They should concentrate on the pipes and stop trying to force inferior crap onto us.
Yep, you should tell Comcast et al. how to run their services. They own the pipes, they don't own the content. Except the cable/telcos saw what happened to cellular and wanted none of the "dumb pipe" bullcrap.
And Apple sells to 100s of carriers. While Apple might like to expand in the japanese market, it don't wont miss dotcomo in a global sense. How many years has iphone been out now?
The longevity of your product means nothing. Look at Nokia.
Steve is or Steve was? Did you know that he passed away?
Do some independent thinking on your own instead of having someone else do that work for you, kid.
How is a company innocent or guilty in business negotiations?

If Apple applies the same rules to DoCoMo as every other partner/carrier, what are they guilty of? Guilty of being fair?

How old are you, does your father work for DoCoMo?
And why do you care?

I don't give a damn if Apple goes out of business tomorrow. The world can and will move on without Cupertino. Get a hint.
And how many customers will Apple lose when they can no longer guarantee updates for every current generation iPhone? That's what will inevitably happen if they cave into this carrier's demands. Suddenly other carriers will want their apps pre-loaded too.
And how will that matter? Oh yeah, it's bad for iOS because 1) you are not allowed to jailbreak your iDevices as you'll void warranties and lose all product support, and 2) you are not allowed to replace core Apple system apps with third-party apps.

I'd like to see the unthinkable happen so I can start reading every iBrainwashedFanboy whine how the world is being so unfair to Apple. The world is unfair. We don't necessarily play by Apple's rules. Deal with it.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
And how will that matter? Oh yeah, it's bad for iOS because 1) you are not allowed to jailbreak your iDevices as you'll void warranties and lose all product support, and 2) you are not allowed to replace core Apple system apps with third-party apps.

It's bad because updates could no longer be guaranteed. Carriers would need to approve their own firmwares.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
So people have an idea of what DoCoMo offers:

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/service/

To see everything though, you need to click on the categories - just looking at the top level won't show everything by any means.

Note, I'm not defending this by any means, just pointing out what they offer.

They can simply release apps in the app store like every other carrier that carries iPhones.

They don't need to have their apps embedded in the firmware to give their customers access to their services, as that would fragment the firmware to be carrier-specific and OS updates would have to go through said carrier before reaching the end user like on Android.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

I have worked with many that wear their Steve Jobs firing with a badge of honor. One of my favorite lines he had for a while that many repeated was "The hell with your mortgage! If you were worth anything, you'd have bought your house in cash!" to anyone making hedging comments or plans.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
apple is always busy in making as much money as possible, i'm sure they'll soon reach an agreement with DOCOMO.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Android fanboys are a funny lot. They hate the carriers but even hate the iPhone even more for Apple having a far superior mobile OS people actually ask for by name allowing Apple to dictate demands to carriers instead of bending over backwards to them.

Android Fanboy ? I got more Apple kit than Android. Intawebz is funny sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.