Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSimpsons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Do you guys think that it is too late to buy a current-generation iPad Mini? Or is it worth waiting for the next model?

hacke

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
I am in a similar position, waiting for an iPad mini retina since half a year. Your question should be altered to "do I NEED it now?"

For me, the answer is No! I'd like to have one, but I am not willing to pay for smth I might regret! I will use the iPad generally for surfing, gaming and browsing through my university books.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I gave my Dad my iPad 3 (retina) while visiting him abroad. It's going to be great to Skype him and the family regularly from now on. I was planning on buying the next generation iPad but while travelling I saw a lot of people with the mini. I was sold until I went to the Apple store and played with it myself. The non-retina display is very noticeable to me since I'm used to retina on my iPad and iPhone. I guess I have to wait, but it's killing me not having an iPad as I was used to using it in my daily routine.

How much longer? October maybe?

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I was in the same situation. My son claimed my iPad 3. I decided to get a base mini to hold me over. The lack of retina is noticeable, but I love the form factor. I already know I won't be able to resist upgrading if the mini goes retina in the fall. To me, that would be the perfect iPad for reading books, which is my primary use for it.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I purchased a refurb 16gb mini wifi a month ago. Based on my history with resale on Apple devices I'll probably recoup most of the money and buy the new model once it debuts. :cool:

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I purchased a refurb 16gb mini wifi a month ago. Based on my history with resale on Apple devices I'll probably recoup most of the money and buy the new model once it debuts. :cool:

My plan as well. My only requirements are...

* RAM upgrade to 1GB (a must)
* Retina upgrade
* CPU upgrade (not a must, but it is expected and would be welcomed)
* iOS 7 is behaving, but I suspect Apple should have it purring like a kitten by the fall.

If all that is in place, I'll probably list my first gen on eBay and buy the 2nd gen on launch day.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Do you guys think that it is too late to buy a current-generation iPad Mini? Or is it worth waiting for the next model?
Unless you need it or could benefit tremendously from having it, I would wait. Depending on which rumors you want to believe, the refresh could be anywhere from two to six months away. That's not much time. Even if the refresh doesn't bring any features that you're particularly interested in, it will lower the costs on the current model.

I was waiting for a version with the retina display but then couldn't wait anymore. I'm with many others in saying that if the second-generation has a retina display (and doesn't knock off much battery life) then I'll be selling mine and upgrading ASAP. The display on the 1st generation isn't bad and there are plenty of moments where I feel as if it might as well be a retina display, but I do a lot of note-taking on it and my handwriting is small. The retina display would allow me to read my own writing much more easily.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think it's too late. If I was in your shoes, I would definitely get one with no hesitation. Enjoy it, it's a great device!

PennCentralFan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
Twin Cities
If you want one get one if you need it. I got my workplace to buy me one in June and I have no complaints since I didn't pay for it.

But I would recommend one to anyone.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Good advice on the refurb. I just bought a mini a couple weeks ago. Got the 32GB for $359. Good enough deal IMO to not worry about an impending refresh in 3-4 months.

I got a brand new 32GB Mini on AT&T for $460 last month, that was $100 off. There are good deals out there and buy if you can find one.

stevey69

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
picked me up a ipad mini 64gb cellular + wifi black for 450$. Unless you dont mind paying premium price which is gonna be close to 700$ which is unbelievable for just retina. thats a 250$ difference for just double the pixels. you tell me .

----------

picked me up a ipad mini 64gb cellular + wifi black for 450$. Unless you dont mind paying premium price which is gonna be close to 700$ which is unbelievable for just retina. thats a 250$ difference for just double the pixels. you tell me .

also, was applecare eligible which I did for 75$, it was a steal. Dont care about retina THAT much. Everything else I own is retina but to me, its not worth waiting for some product which might NOT feature retina. I bit the bullet and dont regret it at all. The people that complain about retina should look further as retina on a mini doesnt matter unless you hold it REALLY close to your eyes which I thinK is idiotic.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
picked me up a ipad mini 64gb cellular + wifi black for 450$. Unless you dont mind paying premium price which is gonna be close to 700$ which is unbelievable for just retina. thats a 250$ difference for just double the pixels.

Why pull an erroneous number like $ 700 out of thin air?

Those of us with Apple experience know that the price is only revealed after they announce a new product.

Seeing there's no such thing as a retina iPad mini, your post has no credibility.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here

Don't understand the highlighted question. Of course you can still buy one. Apple store has a bunch of them..

For me, since the ipad mini 2 will be coming out in a few short months, I would wait to see what Apple has to offer this time around that may have some nice improvement over the current version.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I was in the same situation. My son claimed my iPad 3. I decided to get a base mini to hold me over. The lack of retina is noticeable, but I love the form factor. I already know I won't be able to resist upgrading if the mini goes retina in the fall. To me, that would be the perfect iPad for reading books, which is my primary use for it.

I've got a mini that I absolutely adore - it's my most favourite device, love it way more than my iP5 even! The non retina screen, though I thought it would bother me, doesn't bother me one bit - I bought it for reading PDFs for my course work and it does such a great job I couldn't be happier (though, I will admittedly jump at a retina version when one becomes available).

As for reading other stuff, I still though prefer my Kindle (currently a Paperwhite) - it's just so much more comfortable for me, I can't imagine ever giving it up and using the iPad instead. The other great thing about the Kindle is that its battery lasts weeks not hours. My mom and cousin both read on their full sized iPads, I know lots of people who don't mind it, but for me nothing beats reading on the Kindle.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I've got a mini that I absolutely adore - it's my most favourite device, love it way more than my iP5 even! The non retina screen, though I thought it would bother me, doesn't bother me one bit - I bought it for reading PDFs for my course work and it does such a great job I couldn't be happier (though, I will admittedly jump at a retina version when one becomes available).

As for reading other stuff, I still though prefer my Kindle (currently a Paperwhite) - it's just so much more comfortable for me, I can't imagine ever giving it up and using the iPad instead. The other great thing about the Kindle is that its battery lasts weeks not hours. My mom and cousin both read on their full sized iPads, I know lots of people who don't mind it, but for me nothing beats reading on the Kindle.

Totally agree. I'm not keen on reading on the mini but otherwise its great for most things. The iPad 4 still has the better screen for text but for normal reading it's the Kindle paperwhite all the way.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I have an iPad 1 and an iPad Mini that my daughters play with more than I do. I plan to get a cellular Mini that they will not get to play with. I am waiting for retina though. As others have said, I don't NEED it, so I'll wait a few months and see what comes.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma

Good points. The lack of a retina screen really only seems to hit me if I use the mini right after I use my iPhone or a full size iPad. It's still a great device in every way.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Well the apple store near me is open till 10PM, so you got just under an hour to get there my time, or if your ordering online, then i don't think you can ever be too late :D

but seriously, if you NEED one, buy it now, if you dont, wait until the refresh that is probably going to happen near xmas

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
The mini came out in nov/12, but really wasnt readily available until late jan due to supply constraints.
If the same refresh cycle occurs in nov this year, you are looking at jan14, unless you really work the preorder process.

hacke

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
If the same refresh cycle occurs in nov this year, you are looking at jan14, unless you really work the preorder process.

I really hope you're wrong! Maybe they are refreshing it in september, so we can get it until mid oktober, hopefully!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
At this point I would wait to purchase a mini, since a new model should be released in a couple of months.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001

I would not buy it at this point. In terms of specs it is just way behind the iPad 4, and so the next model will surely blow the current model away.

1. the CPU is 2x slower
2. the GPU is 4x slower
3. the display has 4x fewer pixels

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.