Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
NICE, is it gonna be free or will there be a trail version? Anyway, good job mate, btw there's a new one coming out, I heard that there are rockets in it

Rofl I spoke to soon xD. I got the loading screen to partially appear, but only the quake 3 maps would load without crashing. The problem is, urt has different system files, and I'm not so sure I know how to replace them rofl. Some help please :)

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
Nice, its bout time someone did this, well at least tried to lol, anyway what you using to convert the maps?

Oh and the system files, what format is it in again?

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
Nice, its bout time someone did this, well at least tried to lol, anyway what you using to convert the maps?

Oh and the system files, what format is it in again?

I actually have no idea xD. What i did was pretty simple... i dragged the .pak files from UT into quake 3, and started the game. I don't think it's the map that needs converting, but i think the contents of the .app itself needs converting from the mac os x os to the iphone os. If someone can port over the files and compile it... I'm really no help at this stuff at all rofl. I'm trying to learn :)

Maybe if someone emailed andydam ;)

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
Hi,
I am an UrbanTerror fan, I would like to put it on iTouch.
We can make it together, ELECTRICMAN !
here is my e-mail adress :
killian.developper@gmail.com
see you later !
killi@n

I practically gave up :-( I'm really no programmer, and I usually take on ideas which I can't complete myself.

Here's what I've discovered about the 2 games: The GUI are built on almost the exactly the same system files, but to run the maps, something needs to be changed. I think I'll leave this project in your hands :-(

Claytybob

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Kokomo, Indiana, USA
Well there's your problem xD! You need the old quake3 mod, not the new ioQuake3 bundle xD I'll take a look into it sometime, maybe this week. We'll see.

BTW: THIS MEANS URBAN TERROR WOULD BE AN OLDER VERSION, YOU WOULD ONLY BE ABLE TO PLAY LAN GAMES IF THIS WORKS! Emphysis on *IF*

mecwerks

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
It does work :)

I have UrbanTerror 4.1.1 running as a mod from quake3-ios.
I have been working on improving the controls. Here is the link to my original post with youtube demo video and link to my fork of quake3-ios:
UrbanTerror iOS Demo

mecwerks

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2013
Rofl I spoke to soon xD. I got the loading screen to partially appear, but only the quake 3 maps would load without crashing. The problem is, urt has different system files, and I'm not so sure I know how to replace them rofl. Some help please :)

Quake3 and UrbanTerror have the same filesystem. Models, maps, sounds, etc in a pak file, and the main difference is the qvm files. These modules tell the game what to do (what files in the pak files to load and when). There is a server module, client module, and ui module. Seth K's original quake3-ios did not load these modules like normal quake3. it linked them as static libraries into the executable therefor removing the ability to load mods making it impossible to run UrbanTerror with it. With my fork of quake3-ios the qvm module interpreter has been fixed so the game loads the qvm files. This now allows mods to be loaded as normal quake3 would. (some mods do not work though). And i am currently working to improve the control system for both a quake3 specific one, and a more generic mods control system. (some things like integrating touch buttons to draw over quake3 menu items can only be implemented with access to the mods code, unless a developer from the UrbanTerror dev team works with me, i will only be able to do so much with improvements and enhancements).

Hope that cleared things up a bit :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.