Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerryd

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
I'm about to purchase a Scansnap s1500m or a new s1300 from Fujitsu. Any advice about what is the best software to go with the Scansnap? I'm looking at DevonThink, Paperless, Yep, Yojimbo, Together, Evernote, etc. I will want to OCR many of my documents so full text searching is a requirement. DevonThink seems like the most powerful, but is all that power (and the extra price) necessary? I am generally a fan of folders and not just tagging, although I tend to do both. Thanks for any suggestions.

One more thing: if I want to OCR the documents and decide to go with the s1300, do I need a storage application with OCR scanning (such as DevonThink Pro Office)? Thanks!

I was looking at this thread and it started quite some time ago. I went with DEVONthink Pro Office about 8 months ago and although there was a steep learning curve it works the way I like. It is having a bit of trouble though keeping up to the Evernotes and have been considering switching. Evernote doesn’t work the way I like to work but it is well supported.

Just kind of curious what people ended up doing.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I was looking at this thread and it started quite some time ago. I went with DEVONthink Pro Office about 8 months ago and although there was a steep learning curve it works the way I like. It is having a bit of trouble though keeping up to the Evernotes and have been considering switching. Evernote doesn’t work the way I like to work but it is well supported.

Just kind of curious what people ended up doing.

I was using Evernote (thats the green elephant app right?) for a while... but I found it cumbersome and I dropped it. I cannot remember the reasons.

What attracted me to it was note syncing across all my devices. I've found that it just isn't that important to me. I capture meeting notes directly in mail or in word.

I use DevonThink Pro Office as the heart of my paperless office. I could not be more pleased. I really like the new syncing feature. Either my wife or I can add items to the database on either of our computers... and we both have synchronized copies. It works great.

/Jim

danitaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
I'm still trying to figure out a good way for this at well (and look how old this thread is!!). I used to like Paperless. I got it as a bundle with my ScanSnap, and originally really liked it. I used it contrary to Mariner's supported scenario, and had the "documents" folder in my Dropbox. So while I didn't have a searchable database on my iPad/iPhone, I could pretty much browse the Dropbox folder on the iOS device and generally find something I was looking for. Then Mariner changed the naming scheme to hashed names, and that has caused me to not be able to access any files saved in Paperless on iOS devices.

I know that DevonThink also has an iOS version. However, unless I've totally missed something, you need to know in advance that you need something on the iOS device, and sync the doc before you leave your WIFI network.

Ultimately, I'd like to find a program that interfaces well with the ScanSnap, but also has a way to really utilize the power of the indexing and search mechanism of the product on an iOS device. I haven't found anything like that!

I guess I could use Evernote. In some ways it is closer to what Paperless would do. And a Premium account is really not that expensive when you think about it.

Danita

Danita

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.