Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Was this just recently ported to Mac? I bought it over in Windows on Steam and just noticed it in my list of Mac games.

I had pretty high hopes, since it's done by Aspyr, but it's a pretty awful port. No 360 controller support, no ability to change the resolution. Hell, you can't even navigate the menus with a mouse. Keyboard only. I was pretty excited to play this natively on OS X, but these issues make it not worth it.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Was this just recently ported to Mac? I bought it over in Windows on Steam and just noticed it in my list of Mac games.

I had pretty high hopes, since it's done by Aspyr, but it's a pretty awful port. No 360 controller support, no ability to change the resolution. Hell, you can't even navigate the menus with a mouse. Keyboard only. I was pretty excited to play this natively on OS X, but these issues make it not worth it.

The OSX version of Force Unleashed has been in the Mac App Store since August 2012. It's not a new port at all.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
The OSX version of Force Unleashed has been in the Mac App Store since August 2012. It's not a new port at all.

Thanks for clarifying that. Hopefully their Mac port of Bioshock Infinite doesn't face similar problems.

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway

I bought this on MAS. I can change the resolution. You dont get the Aspyr settings screen when you launch the game?

This port never struck me as bad at all, atleast not when compared to the PC version its ported from.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
No 360 controller support, no ability to change the resolution. Hell, you can't even navigate the menus with a mouse. Keyboard only. I was pretty excited to play this natively on OS X, but these issues make it not worth it.

Blasto, can you tell us which version of the game you have? I'm so sorry you are having issues. Force Unleashed does support the xbox wired controller and as bkar pointed out, you can select your resolution.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Blasto, can you tell us which version of the game you have? I'm so sorry you are having issues. Force Unleashed does support the xbox wired controller and as bkar pointed out, you can select your resolution.

I got it through Steam, it's the Ultimate Sith Edition. I believe it came with a whole bundle of Star Wars games. Never had any problems using the controller or changing the resolution when playing in Bootcamp, it seems to only be an issue in OS X.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I got it through Steam, it's the Ultimate Sith Edition. I believe it came with a whole bundle of Star Wars games. Never had any problems using the controller or changing the resolution when playing in Bootcamp, it seems to only be an issue in OS X.

Ok good, you have the most up to date version then.

The resolution can be changed along with other settings from the launcher window. Its right next to the Windowed and Full Screen buttons at the top.

As for the controller, as long as you are using a wired Xbox controller, its plug and play. It's possible that you have a controller driver installed that would prevent this from happening. Here is a support article on how to fix that if in fact that is the case.

If for some reason you are still having issues, start a support ticket with our team. They will get you up and running asap.

Apologies again for the frustration.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012

The resolution can be changed along with other settings from the launcher window. Its right next to the Windowed and Full Screen buttons at the top.

As for the controller, as long as you are using a wired Xbox controller, its plug and play. It's possible that you have a controller driver installed that would prevent this from happening. Here is a support article on how to fix that if in fact that is the case.

If for some reason you are still having issues, start a support ticket with our team. They will get you up and running asap.

I had forgotten about changing the resolution via the window in Aspyr titles. I should have remembered from playing the Arkham games. BTW, never had these controller issues with either of those games.

As a bit of customer feedback, I wouldn't bother building drivers in to the game if they are going to conflict with the way OS X gamers play 99% of their other games. Really hoping this won't be an issue with Bioshock Infinite.

Honestly, thats a lot of trouble to go through to play a single game. I'll just keep booting over in to Windows. Thanks for your help though.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I had forgotten about changing the resolution via the window in Aspyr titles. I should have remembered from playing the Arkham games. BTW, never had these controller issues with either of those games.

As a bit of customer feedback, I wouldn't bother building drivers in to the game if they are going to conflict with the way OS X gamers play 99% of their other games. Really hoping this won't be an issue with Bioshock Infinite.

Honestly, thats a lot of trouble to go through to play a single game. I'll just keep booting over in to Windows. Thanks for your help though.

Arkham games are not ours. That is actually the issue. You downloaded a 3rd party driver in order to use your controller for those games.

Our games are native plug and play support for the xbox wired controller, just as they are on the PC. Remove that driver, and Force Unleashed will work with your controller, natively.

Bioshock Infinite will run the same when its released, plug and play, no additional drivers needed. To your point, where we need to get better is adding support for additional controllers other than the xbox wired. That's pretty complex stuff, but we are working on it.

dmorris395

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013

I'm new to mac. I, too, am having issues with the wireless 360 controller with third party drivers. Where do I go to delete the files lister on your support article you linked to? Also, are you saying that the wireless controller will work if the files listed are deleted.

Thanks

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I'm new to mac. I, too, am having issues with the wireless 360 controller with third party drivers. Where do I go to delete the files lister on your support article you linked to? Also, are you saying that the wireless controller will work if the files listed are deleted.

Thanks

Welcome to Mac gaming! To be clear, Force Unleashed currently only supports the wired 360 controller. We are working on that for future updates, as we are also working on the interference issue with the most commonly used 3rd party driver (Tattiebogle).

Edit: Sorry dmorris, I didnt quite answer your question. In that article, it tells you to delete specific files. The first one is:

HD/Library/Preference Panes/Pref 360 controller

So you would go to your HD, then look for Library, then Preference Panes...you get the point. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I enjoyed the game, despite it obviously being very console-centric. My main frustration was with the clunky and sluggish menu controls (loading screen after every sub-menu selection, very annoying to level up and choose new abilities, etc), but I think that's the way it is in the PC version as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.