Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe not the right place but how I have been scanning hundreds of negs recently and have been bringing them in as 48bit Tiffs (or 16bit for B&W).

I have recently converted to doing all my post work for negs in PS as the controls offer more finer tuned control when trying to get the colour balance right.

However, the one thing I don’t get is how TIFF files jump up in size so quickly.

For example:

1. Scan a neg -> 55MB
2. Open in preview
3. Rotate clockwise -> 105MB!

Doubled in size just to turn it around?

Also just opening it in PS and then saving it causes the size to grow!

My poor hard drive is suffering!

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
Tiffs generally keep all of the pixel data and so the size woud not change. However, you can also compress the data in a tiff, normally using a lossless compression. One thing to check is if your scanning software is saving the files with compression enabled and if preview and photoshop are saving without the compression.

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Just make sure that when you save them in Photoshop, you enable 'LZW' Compression, that'll make them as small as possible without sacrificing any detail.

If they are still 105MB using LZW, then your scanning software may be using 'jpeg' compression (although still a TIFF) and discarding some detail accordingly - in that case obviously you need to decide whats more important..... possible artifacts & loss of detail, or file size!

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.