Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Not having enough space is far more irritating/inconvenient to me than is having empty, unused space. I'd go for the bigger drive (256GB is the sweet spot for me). I really doubt in a few months you'll be lamenting all the free space you have on your drive. ;)

kap09

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Not having enough space is far more irritating/inconvenient to me than is having empty, unused space. I'd go for the bigger drive (256GB is the sweet spot for me). I really doubt in a few months you'll be lamenting all the free space you have on your drive. ;)

I got the 512 and have no regrets. No need to worry about future space issues, and have plenty of room if I get involved in a big project.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
My last three MBA's have all had 128GB, which was fine for me.. but my new 2013 has 256GB, and it was personal preference. I always somewhat regretted not having 256GB, even though I didn't actually need it... :rolleyes:

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
I have to run Windows in bootcamp/parallels, so 256 was the go-to choice for me and I'm glad I went for it, if I didn't I'd barely have any space left on my macbook with just applications installed...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have the 128 for the same reason, couldn't justify spending more. It's sufficient for me bc I have reached the point where basically everything I need is on my drive now and I have about 42 GB left. If I uninstall the two Steam games I have installed (which I rarely play but am too lazy to uninstall) I would gain back like 20 GB. So space isn't an issue

However, I also don't binge on music and movies. I only have about 13 GB of music and delete TV shows/movies once I am done with them. If I had a bigger hard drive I wouldn't bother to do that

You can always buy one or two 64 GB SD cards if you run out of memory. Not that you should _plan_ to do that, but if you bought 128GB, and a few months or years later you run out of room, that's better than nothing.

jespervang

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
Hvidovre, Denmark
You can always buy one or two 64 GB SD cards if you run out of memory. Not that you should _plan_ to do that, but if you bought 128GB, and a few months or years later you run out of room, that's better than nothing.

Good point, I was thinking of that too. I'm about to order my first Mac (MBA) in late september (or wait to see, what MBP will be announced in the fall) and was thinking of 8GB RAM / 128 GB SSD, and the use SDXC cards for additional storage, if needed. Will the MBA read it as an external HD ?

----------

Will the MBA read it as an external HD ?

Oops, found the answer myself

How does my Mac use the media inserted into the SD card slot?

Your computer recognizes a card inserted into the SD card slot as a USB storage device. The SD card can be mounted, read from, and written to just as any other USB storage device can.

knuro

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
I'm perhaps the most indecisive person you'll ever meet. I hate to spend more than I need, and I hate to buy and regret not going for "the next step up"

I've ordered the 13/8/128 twice and the 13/8/256 twice and cancelled all 4 orders. Part of me says I can easily get away with 128 since I don't have a lot to store. And the other half of me says that I'll kick myself for not getting the 256.

My budget is $1500 max but that's already pushing it a bit.

The only thing holding me back is the price. You can easily find 256GB SSD's for $~160 but the thought of paying $200 just to get a 128GB upgrade is really putting me off.

Has anyone regretted getting the 128GB?

I bought a Mac Air 13" July 2011 version with 128GB SSD and have no regrets.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009

Should be pointed out that the speed of those cards are much slower than the onboard SSD... even an external USB hard drive is faster. The fastest 128GB SDXCs also run around $150-ish, so its quite a bad trade-off really.

Might as well pony up the extra bucks for the 256GB SSD if anyone expects 128GB won't be enough.

Single OS, no Bootcamp/VMs and not a ton of data stored (some people have huge music/video libraries) 128GB shouldn't be an issue. If you have a pretty complete Windows install on top of OSX, then you can be pushing the boundaries of 128GB and yes it might fit without data being stored much onboard, but the space juggling just isn't worthwhile/productive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.