Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
And revenue, which is really what makes "size" comparable.

Well when you ask yourself, which phone is more popular? Revenue makes no difference. It's about volume. So whoever sold the most flagship phones, is the most popular, in reality. Although, many people could have decided to go the cheaper route when they would have rather bought an iphone so I suppose this is not necessarily true.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
The real story of that chart is that Blackberry is dead. 0.7% of the U.S. market? Ouch.

Apple and Microsoft have gained ground purely at Blackberry's expense. All of these mobile OS's have really been getting their gains against feature phones and dying smartphone platforms (like Blackberry). It means that going forward the competition becomes more head to head.

Strange as it sounds, up to this point, they really haven't been even competing against each other; more like a race to grab turf (kind of like the early part of the game in Civilization).

Now the real fun begins.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
RIMed

BB wiped out.

You have that right. That FTC jurisdiction case they took up to SCOTUS was a classic example of a Pyrrhic victory. They paid so much in legal bills, they pulled money form R&D. Look further and 2013 is the first year their subscriber base has declined.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
t-mobile is awesome, great offers and services, but they need to improve their signal strength quickly

r00fus

macrumors regular
May 23, 2009
2 T-Mobile iphone buys here.

Me too. Loving the HD Voice
(for now only between me/spouse and a few other folks on TMO). Can't wait till AT&T/VZ users can upgrade to the better voice codec… more folks I'll be able to call with decent quality.

Can't beat the price - bought phones outright, paying $110/mo for 5 lines.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
Me too. Loving the HD Voice
(for now only between me/spouse and a few other folks on TMO). Can't wait till AT&T/VZ users can upgrade to the better voice codec… more folks I'll be able to call with decent quality.

Can't beat the price - bought phones outright, paying $110/mo for 5 lines.

Same! Happiest I've ever been w/ a carrier so far. Switched April 10 on iphone launch. Hit anywhere from 6-10GB month data on unlimited plan and never been throttled etc. seeing a ton of LTE where I live and some traveling and Edge is very rare. Never have dropped a call. Really greatly priced per month on 3 lines

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Windows phone has been out long before the iPhone was even thought of and to this day it's still struggling the same as it's always been. Sorry but the only cell phone battle that Microsoft will be involved in is their own against themselves.

Not that BS again - Windows MOBILE was out before the iPhone was released. Windows PHONE came out years later (and no, it's not the same). And it's very encouraging that Microsoft is finally gaining some momentum. Also, 4.7% might not be a lot, but let's not forget that Apple's desktop and laptop marketshare is somewhere around 8%, it's not that bad, really.

----------

Windows managed to grow a little but soon there will be no more berry to eat.

They're mainly eating into the low-cost Android market and there's LOTS of that to eat :)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Not that BS again - Windows MOBILE was out before the iPhone was released. Windows PHONE came out years later (and no, it's not the same). And it's very encouraging that Microsoft is finally gaining some momentum. Also, 4.7% might not be a lot, but let's not forget that Apple's desktop and laptop marketshare is somewhere around 8%, it's not that bad, really.

Oh my mistake, lemme check the address bar in my Safari Browser. Is this the "Microsoft Smartphones Enthusiasts Dot Com" website??? :rolleyes:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Yay,, Android... :)

Seems Apple and Samsung like "playing" leap-frog. every time their ow phone's come out.....

No surprise,,,,, What do you expect what would happen ? Android declines when they release their Galaxy S4 ?

*actually, that's not a bad idea either*

just wait till Apple gets the next phone out shortly, then it will be reversed again....

Whats this "Other" thing ? I see it every time.. Is that all other smart-phones not important enough ? Looks like it

sankari

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
All this reassuring back patting and pseudo-analysis from what is really a very limited set of data. In reality, the American market is only a small segment of the global market, and looking at its statistics alone hardly tells the full story. In fact, America isn't even the largest smartphone market anymore, as China now has that title, with India and Brazil not far behind.

Here are the true global statistics

Worldwide-Smartphone-Sales-to-End-Users-by-Operating-System-in-1Q13-Thousands-of-Units.jpg

You can see that the true year on year story is the absolute dominance of Andriod. Most impressive is not the market share, but the number of units sold, where amazingly, Android has doubled the number of units.

Here's the data by manufacturer

screen-shot-2013-05-14-at-08-14-57.png

Apple is not only falling behind the Android wolfpack, but is also starting to trail Samsung by a large margin. Some might say that Apple still leads in profitability (though I would like to see updated data for this), but I think such an incredible surge from Android is a mere inkling of the true future dominance of Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.