Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canon1243

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Chicago, IL
Looking for some definitive info from US residents on a USB 3.0 card (out of US purchasing is highly difficult when looking for a card as it seems.)

I have the 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 with 2 superdrives installed. Never use more than one, so OK with disconnecting one if necessary. (Please provide any install info you have)

Will be using External Hard Drives and a USB 3.0 Card Reader.

First post, thanks all!

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I have both the CalDigit and High Point Rocket dual USB 3.0 cards. Neither required additional power. However, when ML came out, it killed the Rocket. Cal Digit was quick with a new driver, so I went with theirs. I do get a disk eject error when waking from sleep, which is common. I just click and ignore with no other issues. R/W speeds are up there where they should be. These are in a 4.1 flashed to 5.1.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have both the CalDigit and High Point Rocket dual USB 3.0 cards. Neither required additional power. However, when ML came out, it killed the Rocket. Cal Digit was quick with a new driver, so I went with theirs. I do get a disk eject error when waking from sleep, which is common. I just click and ignore with no other issues. R/W speeds are up there where they should be. These are in a 4.1 flashed to 5.1.

I also have the CalDigit card in a 2012 5,1 Mac Pro. After waking from sleep, I receive the "disk eject" error message pop-up on both USB-3 and eSATA external disks. I can simply acknowledge the message and the disks will reconnect on their own. Even Time Machine disks seem to recover on their own and will perform the next scheduled TM backup without further issues.

canon1243

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the replies all,

Any experiences with Orico PCIe cards? I would like to avoid any eject error messages, or anything like that.

Have heard conflicting info on powering that card, etc etc.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Have the Caldigit USB3/eSATA cards in my 2006 1.1 and they work well. I will be looking for a 4 port USB3 card though. I hear the problems are with Mountain Lion for the most part.

canon1243

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Chicago, IL
Was hoping to get feedback related to Lion systems, 4,1 Mac Pros.

Any info on power cables necessary would help too! thanks!

texem

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
Thanks for the replies all,

Any experiences with Orico PCIe cards? I would like to avoid any eject error messages, or anything like that.

Have heard conflicting info on powering that card, etc etc.

I am using Orico but the eject error you'll see with any card.
To get rid of it, you can use a small tool called "Jettison" from App-Store (f.i.)

Works perfectly here because it ejects any devices before sleep and mounts them back after wake.

canon1243

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Chicago, IL
I am using Orico but the eject error you'll see with any card.
To get rid of it, you can use a small tool called "Jettison" from App-Store (f.i.)

Works perfectly here because it ejects any devices before sleep and mounts them back after wake.

Thanks texem! Can you give me the specific model? And also, what power cable situation is necessary on my 4,1??

I don't normally sleep my computer, so hopefully that wouldn't be an issue but that is good to know!

texem

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
so if i have no device plugged in when waking from sleep: i will get no error message?

no error message, if there is nothing mounted there is nothing to eject :)

----------

Thanks texem! Can you give me the specific model? And also, what power cable situation is necessary on my 4,1??

I don't normally sleep my computer, so hopefully that wouldn't be an issue but that is good to know!

There is a long thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1501482/

I am using a PFU3-2P, no need for extra power but that card is out of sale

canon1243

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Chicago, IL

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have the Orico PFU3-202I four port, and the HighPoint RocketU 1144CM (Mountain Lion/Mavericks supported)

Both cards work very well. The Orico requires additional power, the RocketU does not. The RocketU does not support FULL SLEEP. It does let the drives and monitor sleep properly, but not the whole system. I works very well with no errors ever. The RocketU is designed for storage devices (not USB Hubs) only, and is quite expensive compared to the Orico.

+Orico doesn't need additional driver support. ML supports the device OOTB driver wise.

canon1243

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Chicago, IL
Thanks all for the feedback.

Got the Orico 2 port card today for my 4,1. Put it in the second "x16" slot right above my GT120.

The USB is recognized and tried my USB 3.0 card reader and it worked with a CF card. About 2x faster than USB 2.0.

I did NOT do any sort of added power cabling. Should I? Am I missing out on more speed because i don't have added power?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Thanks all for the feedback.

Got the Orico 2 port card today for my 4,1. Put it in the second "x16" slot right above my GT120.

The USB is recognized and tried my USB 3.0 card reader and it worked with a CF card. About 2x faster than USB 2.0.

I did NOT do any sort of added power cabling. Should I? Am I missing out on more speed because i don't have added power?
Adding power to the card won't increase performance. It only helps provide additional power to devices that requires more than what the card can supply.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Adding power to the card won't increase performance. It only helps provide additional power to devices that requires more than what the card can supply.

Actually, testing appears to show that connecting the power dramatically increases the speed, at least in the one specific scenario where it was tested. From user Thomaspin:

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/07/12/mac-pro-2009-part-xiv-2/
Import time for 50 RAW files using USB3: 52.1 seconds – with no power feed to the USB3 card
Import time for 50 RAW files using USB3: 28.1 seconds – with power connected to the USB3 card

kushari

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
I just ordered the Orico card. I don't think I will need power, because my monitors already have a usb 3.0 powered hub in them. The power/speed issue is for hard drives or other devices that need extra power compared to things like a usb stick etc. If he had something like my setup he wouldn't have had to bother. Once I get the card I'll let you guys know how it goes.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Hard Drives do not get their power from the USB Port, but rather from a transformer that goes to an AC outlet. USB memory sticks on the other hand do get power from the USB Port. It will be interesting to see your results. Keep us posted.

kushari

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
^^^^Hard Drives do not get their power from the USB Port, but rather from a transformer that goes to an AC outlet. USB memory sticks on the other hand do get power from the USB Port. It will be interesting to see your results. Keep us posted.
Not exactly true. Portable hard drives get power from USB. 3.5 Inch drives in enclosures get their power from AC. A portable drive draws more power than a usb stick so that would be the most beneficial scenario.

sunsetsothickly

macrumors member
May 21, 2005
I have the Orico PFU3-202I four port, ...
+Orico doesn't need additional driver support. ML supports the device OOTB driver wise.

Are you doing anything with the "2I" portion of the card? Had been thinking about this one myself and couldn't work out what to do with the internal port.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I have a 4 port (all external) Orico USB 3 card and tried to use it without connecting the internal power cable. It did not work. Even externally powered drives didn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.