Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, a new entry in the results database for popular benchmarking tool Geekbench 2 appeared to reveal Apple's next-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro. Many observers had expected the update to come at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference last month, but Apple has yet to release the new machines.

A new Geekbench result posted earlier today now appears to reveal Apple's next-generation 15-inch MacBook Pro, carrying a code name of "AAPLJ45,1". As with the 13-inch model, it is not clear whether this machine is a Retina or non-Retina model, although Apple has been rumored to be leaving the non-Retina models without any further updates as it seeks to phase out the line in favor of an all-Retina lineup.

macbook_pro_15_mid_2013.jpg

The benchmarked 15-inch MacBook Pro, which carries one of Intel's new Haswell processors and 16 GB of RAM, received a Geekbench score of 12497, roughly in line with the current generation of the machine. But as was seen with the MacBook Air released last month, Haswell's biggest benefit comes in efficiency, with Apple being able to boost the battery life on those machines to up to 12 hours.

The chip included in the benchmarked machine is a Core i7-4950HQ running at 2.4 GHz and offering Intel's new high-end Iris Pro 5200 integrated graphics. Intel's promotional materials for Iris previously showed graphics performance gains of 2-2.5x for this i7-4950Q with Iris 5200 compared to the i7-3840QM with HD Graphics 4000 found in the current stock high-end Retina MacBook Pro.

Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro has, however, historically also included a dedicated graphics chip for improved performance, although it is unclear exactly what Apple's plans are in this regard for future generations. With Intel's integrated graphics seeing significant increases in performance, it is possible that Apple could, at least on some models, forego a dedicated graphics chip in order to push battery life even higher.

As with the 13-inch model benchmarked earlier, this 15-inch model is running a custom build of OS X Mavericks, in this case 13A2052. The machine is also running a Boot ROM dated June 24.

Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro currently offers 7 hours of battery life, and while Apple may not be able to duplicate the 80% increase in battery life seen with the MacBook Air's switch to Haswell due to other power-hungry components such as the MacBook Pro's Retina display, the company may still be able to offer substantial battery life improvements in its new machines.

Update 8:53 AM: Primate Labs' John Poole tells MacRumors that Geekbench does collect GPU information, and that this machine does NOT appear to have a discrete GPU in addition to the integrated Iris 5200 graphics from Intel. Poole notes that it is possible that Geekbench could have failed to pick up the presence of a discrete GPU, as Primate Labs is still working out issue with that feature of the software, but that all testing so far has indicated that Geekbench should see the discrete GPU if it is present, even if it has been turned off for the benchmarking run.

Article Link: Next-Generation 15-Inch MacBook Pro Shows Up in Benchmarks

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm butt-clenchingly excited to see what the new MBPs bring to the table, especially when it comes to battery life. Things I'm sure we expect are PCIe Flash and possibly 3-4 hours more juice. But a GPU upgrade from the 650M would really seal the deal for me.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
it wouldn't really push the battery life higher by leaving out the discrete gpu because their estimate of battery life uses the integrated gpu anyway. It would just be like using integrated only so the battery life would only be pushed higher from haswell

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
The new MBPs would look slick if they had the black anodized aluminum of the black iPhone 5. A la BlackBook :D

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
With Intel's integrated graphics seeing significant increases in performance, it is possible that Apple could, at least on some models, forego a dedicated graphics chip in order to push battery life even higher.

This seems to be pure speculation. The graphics capabilities on the Retina MacBook Pro can barely keep up with the number of pixels it has to drive. I'd expect the 15" model to continue to use dedicated graphics for the foreseeable future.

UPDATE: In an update from Eric, it does appear that geekbench could only see an Iris and did not see a dedicated chip, which makes this much less speculative.

Last edited:

Xteec

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Australia
I'd love to see a 13 inch rMBP with no discrete GPU to fill that gap between the high end MBP and the MBA.

My 2007 MBP is really struggling these days...

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
The "Stream" score looks low. Do we know what 2013 Airs get on that section?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I have the current generation, and it is definitely underpowered graphically. The battery life isn't great either. Can't wait for this update.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I'd love to see a 13 inch rMBP with no discrete GPU to fill that gap between the high end MBP and the MBA.

My 2007 MBP is really struggling these days...

None of the existing 13" rMBP models include a discrete GPU. Unless you're saying you hope it continues this way.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
This seems to be pure speculation. The graphics capabilities on the Retina MacBook Pro can barely keep up with the number of pixels it has to drive. I'd expect the 15" model to continue to use dedicated graphics for the foreseeable future.

Iris actually scores better than the 650M if not just as close with almost half the power usage in many tests.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/16

But I do agree that I don't see Apple leaving dedicated graphics on the 15". For 13" retina users, it'll sure be a treat.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
According to Wiki and MacTracker, previous Ivy procs for 15" MBP are rated as 45W up to 2.8GHz, used on the current high-end rMBP...

This one is rated at 47W, at only 2.4GHz Wiki listed the 4950HQ procs as the fastest in Intel's arsenal. Hot and slow...? :D:D

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
The rMBP is already fast. I hope this new update includes:
  • Lower Price Point
  • New SSD Like what the Macbook Air got
  • Longer battery life 10 hours will be good
  • And lower SSD Prices
  • And maybe a HD 1080p FaceTime camera (The Macbook Pro was the first Mac to get a HD720p FaceTime camera)
I can't wait I wanted to buy a 13" rMBP but the Intel HD 4000 graphics really held me back.

Last edited:

Koulie

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Interesting, no dedicated GPU. Will be interesting to see if this is consistant with the whole rMBP line-up...
Anyhow, small performance bump, and (presumed) battery life improvement. I guess that is all people have been holding back for :p

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Interesting, no dedicated GPU. Will be interesting to see if this is consistant with the whole rMBP line-up...
Anyhow, small performance bump, and (presumed) battery life improvement. I guess that is all people have been holding back for :p

2nd gen is 2nd gen

i.e. ironed out issues

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

You need to stop thinking that dedicated graphics are magically more performant than "integrated ones". And the Retina MacBook Pro can barely keep up because the CPUs have to suddenly decode 4x image sizes, it has little to do with the GPU. I mean, think about it, we've been able to run multi-monitor setups on the MacBook Air with far fewer pixels and that has a far weaker GPU.

Anyway, performance specs on Iris 5200 Pro: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

Basically, GPU performance is slightly weaker than a GT650M. Could they include a dedicated GPU? Maybe. But that extra $100 from the eDRAM which Intel is charging likely means no dedicated GPU. For those looking for better GPU performance, you're going to have to wait for Broadwell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.