Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Introducing the new 2013-14 Football Thread from MacRumors.

macrumors_shirt.jpg

Fashioned from a revolutionary sweat-wicking webcode to keep you dry, comfortable and at optimum performance whilst you post, the new 2013-14 MacRumors Football Thread is available in a full range of child and adult sizes (including a limited edition Massive Wednesday size).​

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
New thread for a new season!!!! (except the 2013 MLS season, which quite logically covers one year at a time and is therefore not over yet :D)

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
@ Jaffa Cake, nice "commercial ad" :)

----
While I feel a bit uncomfortable to place the following information so prominently at the top, because of this post, being one of the first, I will go ahead :)

Tomorrow, July, 10th, the UEFA Women's Football Euro-Cup 2013 starts at 18 o'clock in Sweden. Official Opening Match at 20 o'clock!

Of course, to be honest the good matches start off after the first round... ;)

In case someone wants to step by and have a look at them, if you do not find a TV channel (ZDF german, ARD german and Eurosport multi-lingual broadcast via ASTRA over central Europe) some matches are picked to be shown via the internet as a legal live-stream. They do not announce which one, early, so you have to check 1 hour before the matches start, if a stream is available here http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/hauptnavigation/live/day1?flash=off and http://uefafrauenem.sportschau.de/uefafrauenem/radio_tv/index.html

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Wonder if he'll actually get a game, apart from an early FA/League Cup match?

I'd have thought he was still good enough for first team football somewhere, certainly at Championship level

Me thinks he's gone there for the incoming world cup, extra wages and/or to leech onto a trophy or two before retiring.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Introducing the new 2013-14 Football Thread from MacRumors.

View attachment 422355

Fashioned from a revolutionary sweat-wicking webcode to keep you dry, comfortable and at optimum performance whilst you post, the new 2013-14 MacRumors Football Thread is available in a full range of child and adult sizes (including a limited edition Massive Wednesday size).​

i'll take two! picking one up for fizzy ya see... ;)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
A new * football thread? Awesome! :D

Shirts - I can see the t!llionaires sporting something similar in the near future.

Sadly, I just had to swallow crazy news that my Sony/Random House crew's making a footy break until September...this thursday being the last..wtf? :(

Don't like to be forced to do dat table thang..

*real

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Wonder if he'll actually get a game, apart from an early FA/League Cup match?

I'd have thought he was still good enough for first team football somewhere, certainly at Championship level
He'll be back up for sure, but don't forget that he's at the age where he'll likely be hanging up his gloves in a season or two.

Going to Chelsea means that he's not having to uproot his family and move them to another part of the country in order to play at a club for a short period of time, and I'm sure the wages are good of course. For Chelsea's part, they get a very experienced and capable back up should anything happen to Cech. It seems to be a good decision for all parties.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I corrected the date above, of course today is not the 11th, but the 10th! ;)

She was a decent 'keeper in her youth and I scored four goals at five-a-side last week. We'd probably edge it against Scotland.
:D
If they had qualified, yes. ;)
(Though a few of Scotland's players play at Arsenal, who often win the English women's league and have won the Champions league in 2007, ;) but ok, that still doesn't make a good national team).

They should have taken part as team-GB, like at Olympia. That wasn't that bad!

Euro Cup matches of the first round usually do more look like an extended qualification phase... but at least Sweden vs Denmark will be worth watching a bit, this evening, if one had to pick the better of the two matches today.

There is a friendly Dortmund against FC Basel at the same time this evening, though.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Looking forward to the new season!

Good luck to Hull in the PL, Jaffa - and I hope we can meet you next season after we steamroller the Championship with the likes of Bridge and Drenthe... :cool:

Awkward when we finish 15th

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I thought the next time I will post about the women's Euro is after the 4th finals have taken off, but tonight was a real surprise!

While Finland-Italy had been ultra low quality as expected, Denmark-Sweden (which I expected to be mid-quality) was high quality. A real advertisement for women's football.
The usually weaker (and defense oriented) Denmark played very fast, did attack much, did better passes and that all added up to making this a game one with drama, excitement, no second of boredom and real good football, also showing good technique from Denmark. Denmark's no2(!) goalkeeper even held two penalties, though they were not well executed, one has to admit. But nevertheless, it was not only more than one could expect, it was even more than one would think is ever possible for Denmark. End result was 1:1. All teams of Group A now have 1 point (Finland-Italy went 0:0).

I do not expect surprises (or big entertainment) for tomorrow, though, still.

Now watching U-20 men's WC. Got really interested in Ghana, after their match against Chile.

Last edited:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Still lurking... Posting so I get the updates. One day I may be able to intelligently contribute to the conversation. :D

I do hope the Spurs land Benteke. They'll never play Champions League football without a legit threat upfront.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Still lurking... Posting so I get the updates. One day I may be able to intelligently contribute to the conversation. :D

Is that written down somewhere in the forum rules? Because I never did that. :D Except contributing funny smilies of course. :D:D

Good to see you lurking, though. Beneteke to Spurs would be nice, although I'd highly doubt that. He's expensive as hell, isn't he? Oh, forgot in England, even the middleclass teams spent frivolious amounts o cash..*ducks and away*

-

German Bundesliga y'all ask? Hertha's still with the same coach! :cool:

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Good to see you lurking, though. Beneteke to Spurs would be nice, although I'd highly doubt that. He's expensive as hell, isn't he? Oh, forgot in England, even the middleclass teams spent frivolious amounts o cash..*ducks and away*

Imagine if he was English! He'd be at least double the price!

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.