Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hbs2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Hello! This is my first thread!! I am a 13 year old getting ready to be in 8th grade. I am interested in getting a MacBook Air. I would like to spend less than $1800 with AppleCare. I would like to get a 13 in but I don't know if I should get i5 or i7 processor or 128 gb or 256 gb SSD. Thank you in advance!!

Nov 28, 2010
located
What are you computational needs? Most likely the i5 will suffice and will get more out of the additional 128 GB of storage capacity. How much RAM will you get?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
My thinking is that if you plan to use the machine on battery power most of the time, it's better to go with the i5. But if you're going to have the machine plugged in most of the time, you might like the faster processor. I run my 11" Air at my desk about 95% of the time driving a 27" display. I opted for the i7 because I don't care so much about battery life. If it were mostly a mobile machine, I'd have gone with the i5.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
You didn't say anything about ram. If you are on a budget look at upgrading to 8gb of ram first, then ssd, then the processor. 8GB of ram will do more for you than going from I5 to I7 and a bigger ssd is always a good idea.

Hbs2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
What are you computational needs? Most likely the i5 will suffice and will get more out of the additional 128 GB of storage capacity. How much RAM will you get?

I was planning for 8GB RAM

----------

My thinking is that if you plan to use the machine on battery power most of the time, it's better to go with the i5. But if you're going to have the machine plugged in most of the time, you might like the faster processor. I run my 11" Air at my desk about 95% of the time driving a 27" display. I opted for the i7 because I don't care so much about battery life. If it were mostly a mobile machine, I'd have gone with the i5.

What I am planning to use it for is school, my school uses macs a lot but the are base 11 in with 2GB RAM and they are very SLOW. Plus I don't like carrying a Flash Drive with me and having to remember to save it every time. So probably the i5 will work? What about the hard drive?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I was planning for 8GB RAM

----------

What I am planning to use it for is school, my school uses macs a lot but the are base 11 in with 2GB RAM and they are very SLOW. Plus I don't like carrying a Flash Drive with me and having to remember to save it every time. So probably the i5 will work? What about the hard drive?

In that case, I'd get the i5. As for the SSD, what programs do you plan to install on it, and will you be saving large files such as videos and photos? If you will be storing a lot, you might consider the 256GB option.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
You could order a13" i5, 8G, 256 w/ AppleCare and tax for just about that amount. Possibly less using the education discount. Which may allow you to upgrade to the i7.

Personally I would hold off on the AppleCare right now and use those funds to max out the computer. You have a 1 year warranty and will be able to add AppleCare at any time within 1 year of purchase.

I'm not exactly sure of your reasons but other than the tech help I don't think there's a need for AppleCare based on the price. IIRC AppleCare for he Macbook Air is $249+ tax.

Last edited:

Hbs2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
In that case, I'd get the i5. As for the SSD, what programs do you plan to install on it, and will you be saving large files such as videos and photos? If you will be storing a lot, you might consider the 256GB option.

I have 6200 photos I do not plan to keep any music or videos on it. I will install the iWork suite on it, and maybe down the road MS Office

----------

You could order a13" i5, 8G, 256 w/ AppleCare and tax for just about that amount. Possibly less using the education discount. Which may allow you to upgrade to the i7.

Personally I would hold off on the AppleCare right now and use those funds to max out the computer. You have a 1 year warranty and will be able to add AppleCare at any time within 1 year of purchase.

I'm not exactly sure of your reasons but other than the tech help I don't think there's a need for AppleCare based on the price. IIRC AppleCare for he Macbook Air is $249+ tax.

Could I possibly buy from MacMall and put a little more on it since they do not charge tax?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have 6200 photos I do not plan to keep any music or videos on it. I will install the iWork suite on it, and maybe down the road MS Office

----------

Could I possibly buy from MacMall and put a little more on it since they do not charge tax?

I don't know if MacMall can apply the education discounts. Also, Apple has their annual promotion going on right now. As for sales tax, MacMall is collecting it in more states now because states are getting more aggressive at collecting sales tax on online transactions.

128GB might be enough. It actually has about 121GB total space, and about 90GB free at unboxing if I recall correctly. Up until 2011 I used a 128GB MacBook Air. The older 11" models with 2GB that your school uses likely have the 64GB option. Do you plan to run Windows on it at any time? If so, getting the 256GB might be a good option.

Hbs2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
I don't know if MacMall can apply the education discounts. Also, Apple has their annual promotion going on right now. As for sales tax, MacMall is collecting it in more states now because states are getting more aggressive at collecting sales tax on online transactions.

128GB might be enough. It actually has about 121GB total space, and about 90GB free at unboxing if I recall correctly. Up until 2011 I used a 128GB MacBook Air. The older 11" models with 2GB that your school uses likely have the 64GB option. Do you plan to run Windows on it at any time? If so, getting the 256GB might be a good option.

What I have priced out at b and h is a 13 i5/8/256...I think this is a pretty good deal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 790

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
What I have priced out at b and h is a 13 i5/8/256...I think this is a pretty good deal?

It's not bad if you plan to use Parallels. Note that Parallels Desktop is frequently made available in $50 bundles with other software (MacUpdate usually has promotions 2-3 tmes per year).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Other then getting Parallels for free, why are you going with BH Video? You're paying 70 dollars in shipping but apple has free shipping and you may be able to ship it to the store as well. I think going through the apple store will result in more saving unless I'm missing something

Last edited:

Hbs2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Other then getting Parallels for free, why are you going with BH Video? You're paying 70 dollars in shipping but apple has free shipping and you may be able to ship it to the store as well. I think going through the apple store will result in more saving unless I'm missing something

That was for overnight shipping. They have a free shipping option also! Also apple care is $70 dollars cheaper.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010

No tax. Which I would estimate at about approx. $110. The overnight shipping eats some of that. The problem is that his is BTO any way so take all the savings you can find. Although I don't think you can return it to an Apple Store if there's a problem. He'll have to ship it back to MacMall for a return or exchange. Not sure of their return shipping policy. I would imagine that if there's a problem than return shipping is free. If he decides he doesn't want it there may be a return shipping fee. You would have to read the fine print in the shipping policies.

His was the configuration I was considering but I'm too impatient and just went with what they had in store. Which was a base model or a fully blinged model. I went full bling. :D

----------

I think it's a good deal and a great configuration. 256 is plenty of space for the majority of people. My last two Airs were 128 and I was only just recently getting close to max storage after a few years of adding photos. I keep most of my music in remote storage. Just 5,000 songs on the Air at any one time. I could get ALL 88,000 songs on this new Air but I don't think I'm going to do it. It would take up most of my space and I really don't need access to ALL my music All the time. And I'll likely NEVER need to manage space. I can just download whatever with no worries about if I have enough space.:p

Hbs2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
No tax. Which I would estimate at about approx. $110. The overnight shipping eats some of that. The problem is that his is BTO any way so take all the savings you can find. Although I don't think you can return it to an Apple Store if there's a problem. He'll have to ship it back to MacMall for a return or exchange. Not sure of their return shipping policy. I would imagine that if there's a problem than return shipping is free. If he decides he doesn't want it there may be a return shipping fee. You would have to read the fine print in the shipping policies.

His was the configuration I was considering but I'm too impatient and just went with what they had in store. Which was a base model or a fully blinged model. I went full bling. :D

----------

I think it's a good deal and a great configuration. 256 is plenty of space for the majority of people. My last two Airs were 128 and I was only just recently getting close to max storage after a few years of adding photos. I keep most of my music in remote storage. Just 5,000 songs on the Air at any one time. I could get ALL 88,000 songs on this new Air but I don't think I'm going to do it. It would take up most of my space and I really don't need access to ALL my music All the time. And I'll likely NEVER need to manage space. I can just download whatever with no worries about if I have enough space.:p

Should I go with the i7 instead of the i5? I think that is the only thing I'm considering now.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Should I go with the i7 instead of the i5? I think that is the only thing I'm considering now.

Go i5. The only effects the i7 would have on a typical student workload are extra heat and slightly lower battery life.

Hbs2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Go i5. The only effects the i7 would have on a typical student workload are extra heat and slightly lower battery life.

What is you opinion on ordering from BH vs apple store online

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010

What matters more to you today? $150 in savings or the possibility to run more intensive programs more efficiently? You'll lose some battery life to i7. Do you need every last minute out of your battery?

If you download A LOT of stuff then i7 MAY be of benefit but I think you or I would hardly notice. Again, I didn't have much choice when I decided to jump. I've rarely regretted getting ALL the options either. It's only money and a few hundred bucks doesn't make any real difference in my day to day life. I'm fortunate for that. My machines get handed down so we might get more out of the upgrades over time.

I was very happy with my last two Airs. A 2010 and a 2011. Both base models. The only reason I've upgraded at all is to get the latest, greatest. And I can justify it by being able to hand my old machine to my wife who then handed hers down to my daughter. ALL still running strong.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Ok. Thank you! And adapters or anything I should also buy?

----------

Thank you. I think I'm leaning towards the i5/8/256 combo

Ethernet if needed and TB to HDMI for TV viewing. External HDD for backups. A sleeve.

Hbs2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Ethernet if needed and TB to HDMI for TV viewing. External HDD for backups. A sleeve.

Ok. I have a 1.5 TB external so check that. I have a couple apple tvs so would need to get the TB to HDMI?? Have any brand of sleeve that you like?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Ok. I have a 1.5 TB external so check that. I have a couple apple tvs so would need to get the TB to HDMI?? Have any brand of sleeve that you like?

The Tucano Second Skin is a great sleeve. I used it back when I owned a MacBook Air. It is tight fitting, well-constructed, and pretty stylish.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Read this Anandtech article on the subject.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u
I would go with the i7. Negligible effect on battery life but significantly faster and more future proof with better resale value.
People don't realize how much different the bigger cache in the i7 makes. It's not just higher clock speed. Combined its up to a 30% increase.
Personally I think 8 GB is a must have especially since the gpu eats up 1 GB all by itself.
To me the sweet spot is 8 GB ram, 1.7 ghz proc, 256 GB SSD unless you just have to have 512GB ssd.
Also the 256GB ssd is faster than the 128GB sad but you probably won't really notice it.

----------

What is you opinion on ordering from BH vs apple store online

No difference except paying tax in some states.

----------

Yeah that's wrong and bad advice to boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.