Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello MacRumors, first time post! :D

I was originally intending to purchase a new 2013 MBA with i7/8gb/128GB. However, upon viewing the price, I came to the realization that it is not far off from the price of the 13' RMBP. This leads me to consider which I should get of the two, but I have some hesitations on the decision.

I wanted to get some opinions/experiences on which macbook would be more ergonomical and comfortable when using on your lap. As for my uses, 90% of the time I will be using the computer for writing word documents and programming in XCode while reclined on my couch.

The power difference and cost difference between the two is a non-issue to me, so I need to decide which would be more comfortable to use. The RMBP has a retina display, which is awesome -- but the mba has a slimmer and slanted design and is lighter, which makes it seem like it would be more comfortable to use for typing. Does the design and weight difference make much of a difference?

I know the best thing to do would be to visit an Apple store and compare the two, but I do not have one nearby me and will be ordering online, so I was hoping for some experiences and opinions.

While although I may not be posting replies much as I am a bit busy, I will certainly read all replies, and appreciate any input on this! Thanks! :apple:

Hello Haseo,

Since you asked for some more information here we go!

The primary ergonomic issue is not which laptop is better. It's your work setup/work environment. You indicated that "I will be using the computer for writing word documents and programming in XCode while reclined on my couch".

You could be using a clunky laptop from 2000 but because your setup itself is so poor, the discussion of the laptop is moot. Think of your posture/position of your head. You're using a laptop on your lap with a 13" or 15" screen. You're head will be shifted forward to view the screen and the torque required by the musculature in your neck will be increased significantly (think of grandma/grandpa's posture).

There's been discussion about the weight of the laptop. Sure, there will certainly be some circulatory issues but that is considered negligible unless the laptop is over 10 lbs on your lap. I'm not too concerned about portability because that wasn't the question.

There's been some discussion about laptop design. Again, what about your posture and work environment?

A laptop is meant to be a temporary/mobile device. It's not meant to be a desktop replacement. That's why a offices still have a monitor, external keyboard, and mouse slaved to a laptop.

There is a lot of information on the internet but again, it's the 'internet' so ask questions. If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not right. Even question what I've said above because it's the 'internet'. Here is a link below where you can find some more office ergonomics information. I hope that raises some more awareness about your ergonomics and setup and where I direct my clients to for additional resources. If you have any additional questions, please ask.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hello MacRumors, first time post! :D

I was originally intending to purchase a new 2013 MBA with i7/8gb/128GB. However, upon viewing the price, I came to the realization that it is not far off from the price of the 13' RMBP. This leads me to consider which I should get of the two, but I have some hesitations on the decision.

The power difference and cost difference between the two is a non-issue to me, so I need to decide which would be more comfortable to use. The RMBP has a retina display, which is awesome -- but the mba has a slimmer and slanted design and is lighter, which makes it seem like it would be more comfortable to use for typing. Does the design and weight difference make much of a difference?
While although I may not be posting replies much as I am a bit busy, I will certainly read all replies, and appreciate any input on this! Thanks! :apple:

I had a 13" MBA from 2008-2011, an 11.6" MBA from 2011 until January 2013, when I purchased a 13" rMBP. Of all the form factors, I really liked the 11.6" MBA the best since it was so portable. I'd actually like an 11.6" rMBP since the screen on the rMBP is so much better than the MBA (in terms of color gamut, resolution, and viewing angles).

The extra 1.2lbs of the 13" rMBP vs. the 11.6" MBA is very noticeable. It might be less so between the two MBA models. However, the rMBP doesn't taper, so I've found that it doesn't fit quite as nicely into a front pocket of a notebook case or suitcase as did either MBA.

As for ergonomics, I'd say they are similar. The keyboard travel is pretty much the same across the board. The rMBP might have a slight edge because the screen has better viewing angles, so you can position the screen wherever you want it. The 13" rMBP actually has a slightly smaller footprint than the 13" MBA. It doesn't make much difference on a lap, but it does help on an airplane tray table (it's nearly as good as the 11.6" in that regard). Finally, the rMBP seems to have better thermals than the MBA, though I haven't tried the Haswell versions. The MBA tends to run hotter.

Haseo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
Hello Haseo,

Since you asked for some more information here we go!

The primary ergonomic issue is not which laptop is better. It's your work setup/work environment. You indicated that "I will be using the computer for writing word documents and programming in XCode while reclined on my couch".

You could be using a clunky laptop from 2000 but because your setup itself is so poor, the discussion of the laptop is moot. Think of your posture/position of your head. You're using a laptop on your lap with a 13" or 15" screen. You're head will be shifted forward to view the screen and the torque required by the musculature in your neck will be increased significantly (think of grandma/grandpa's posture).

There's been discussion about the weight of the laptop. Sure, there will certainly be some circulatory issues but that is considered negligible unless the laptop is over 10 lbs on your lap. I'm not too concerned about portability because that wasn't the question.

There's been some discussion about laptop design. Again, what about your posture and work environment?

A laptop is meant to be a temporary/mobile device. It's not meant to be a desktop replacement. That's why a offices still have a monitor, external keyboard, and mouse slaved to a laptop.

There is a lot of information on the internet but again, it's the 'internet' so ask questions. If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not right. Even question what I've said above because it's the 'internet'. Here is a link below where you can find some more office ergonomics information. I hope that raises some more awareness about your ergonomics and setup and where I direct my clients to for additional resources. If you have any additional questions, please ask.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/

That is some very good information to consider! Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

I guess I am more concerned about comfortability than ergonomics then, as my setup doesn't seem to be very ergonomic, but it certainly is comfortable to recline on a couch! It is indeed important to consider though that I should probably get up and move around from time to time if being in that position for too long -- Thanks!

----------

I had a 13" MBA from 2008-2011, an 11.6" MBA from 2011 until January 2013, when I purchased a 13" rMBP. Of all the form factors, I really liked the 11.6" MBA the best since it was so portable. I'd actually like an 11.6" rMBP since the screen on the rMBP is so much better than the MBA (in terms of color gamut, resolution, and viewing angles).

The extra 1.2lbs of the 13" rMBP vs. the 11.6" MBA is very noticeable. It might be less so between the two MBA models. However, the rMBP doesn't taper, so I've found that it doesn't fit quite as nicely into a front pocket of a notebook case or suitcase as did either MBA.

As for ergonomics, I'd say they are similar. The keyboard travel is pretty much the same across the board. The rMBP might have a slight edge because the screen has better viewing angles, so you can position the screen wherever you want it. The 13" rMBP actually has a slightly smaller footprint than the 13" MBA. It doesn't make much difference on a lap, but it does help on an airplane tray table (it's nearly as good as the 11.6" in that regard). Finally, the rMBP seems to have better thermals than the MBA, though I haven't tried the Haswell versions. The MBA tends to run hotter.

This is good information to know! It may help other purchasers who are in a similar position. Fortunately I really won't be travelling with it too much, I will mainly be taking it between a few different residences to use while on the couch, or occasionally in a cafe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.