Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

promo.png
StackSocial has launched its Summer 2013 Mac Utility Bundle which includes 10 Mac Apps, including Parallels Desktop 8, for $49.99. The total retail value for the package is $482. The apps in the bundle are:

- Parallels Desktop 8 ($80) - Run Windows on your Mac
- Snagit ($50) - Record screen videos
- Typinator ($33) - "Types" Frequently Used Text For You
- WinZip Mac Edition ($30) - WinZip Mac Edition
- xPlan ($80) - Easily Create, Track, & Manage Your Projects
- Jump Desktop ($30) - Connect to Any Computer in the World
- Boom For Mac ($7) - System-Wide Volume Booster & Equalizer
- Leap ($20) - Easily Find, Organize, & Browse Your Most Important Documents
- ColorStrokes ($3) - The Most Popular App for Selective Color Photography
- Digital Photography Course ($149) - Learn How to Effectively Use Your DSLR Camera

The $49.99 price represents a discount on full price of Parallels Desktop 8, but also includes these other apps.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of StackSocial.

Article Link: Mac Utility Bundle: Parallels 8, Snagit, Typinator, xPlan and More for $49.99

jan1024188

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Half of things are junk apps, and other half have equally good free alternatives on Linux. Great deal!

Last edited by a moderator:

foto-max

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Of course Parallels 8 is on sale... As soon as OS Mavericks is released in a couple of months, they will mandate that you purchase Parallels 9. This happens like clockwork.......:mad:

KFredje

macrumors member
May 19, 2013
Is there any disadvantage to buying Parallels in these bundles over the App Store?

Do I lose eligibility for updates, etc.?

I'm wondering the same. Also, does it matter in what country I'm using it? I'm planning to run Parallels in Belgium.

Also, someone was saying Parallels should get an update soon, so is paying 50$ for it worth my money? (I need to run Windows very often so I really could use Parellels.

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I have been "burned" before by apps I purchased through these bundles, then they got updated to the next major release and I was not eligible to upgrade.

I say "burned" in quotes because I still got a good deal on the bundle pricing for the version I owned... however, it would be nice to know this up front.

If Parallels version 9 is about to be released, I guess the question is, if I were to buy Parallels 8 for full price, would I get a free or cheaper upgrade to 9? If not, then I might as well buy this bundle anyway.

foto-max

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
The typical upgrade pricing for Parallels is marginally less than full pricing. If you intend to continue to upgrade your Mac OS as they are released, be prepared to continue to purchase new versions of Parallels. Typically, the older versions of Parallels are not functional with new OS.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Of course Parallels 8 is on sale... As soon as OS Mavericks is released in a couple of months, they will mandate that you purchase Parallels 9. This happens like clockwork.......:mad:

The month after Parallels will be in the Fall bundles... like clockwork! :)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

With the most recent upgrade, Parallels 8 works on Mavericks, so you are safe with 8 until OS 10.10.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Is it me or does Parallels seem to be in almost every bundle lately?

You're not the only one. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen VMWare Fusion in any of the bundles, and it's a toss between Parallels and TechTool Pro for the "top end" app that's the only one worth buying the bundle for.

The month after Parallels will be in the Fall bundles... like clockwork! :)

I can see that happening.

As usual though, this bundle is round about crap unless you seriously wanted at least two of the apps, or you just want Parallels for half off.

I think the last bundle I bought had SnapzPro, Pixelmator, and CoverSutra in it for $40. A nice deal at the time given that i was still in college and couldn't afford Photoshop, needed screen capture, and iTunes (?) wasn't as nice looking as CoverSutra was.

Now, as mentioned, it's really just buy the top end app for half off, and leave the others behind.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You're not the only one. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen VMWare Fusion in any of the bundles, and it's a toss between Parallels and TechTool Pro for the "top end" app that's the only one worth buying the bundle for.

I got both Fusion and Parallels in bundles - neither was the main reason for purchasing. I mostly use Virtualbox, to be honest.

Garrod

Suspended
Nov 13, 2008
UK
So Parallels 8 is being included. Parallels 9 coming out soon methinks...with a 'slight price' for an upgrade to 9 for the recent purchasers on Parallels 8.

What a surprise.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010

Haha, no I agree. But I feel like its been that way since 2008 or 2009. It seems as though they have been in every macupdate and every other bundle since then. ...not just lately!

Hrim

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
After so many years, I must ask.

Who buy these? I'm from PC and have a mac since more than a year, and yet I fail to understand why such apps are so expensive.

"Types frequent text for you". Does anybody actually parrot that much on a keyboard ? I can imagine the people thinking "Phew, hopefully my 33$ software will avoid the diresome situation where I must explain once again why you should not feed Gizmo after midnight".

What about this one:
"Who doesn’t love being able to find, organize and browse the thousands of documents on your Mac? Enough said."
Yeah, that's such a great deal. I was stuck with my mac being unable to browse files, since Apple removed Finder.app from their OS.

I'm pushing it, but you can get the idea.

Seriously, 30$ for WINZIP? Who needs to zip that badly?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I got both Fusion and Parallels in bundles - neither was the main reason for purchasing. I mostly use Virtualbox, to be honest.

That's good to know. I will hold out for the next bundle to have Fusion. Not that I have a preference, I just have a copy of Fusion 1 that I am looking to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.