Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
No, it actually allows for an increase in quality. IGZO is generally capable of higher pixel densities (not that Apple will be increasing that anytime soon on their Retina screens, though).
Quality does not mean "higher pixel density" alone. It means that it can display lots of colours and do it accurately. At the moment we have the cheap TN panel which isn't good in this area and we have IPS that is. The current MBP Retina versions use IPS and a high pixel density. It is these two things that make those displays gorgeous to look at. IGZO has to continue this (IGZO has to be usable in IPS panels) or else it will be a drop in quality ("crap, the colours are washed out compared to the previous model, boo Apple, boo!").

qpdbqp

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
This is all well and good, but what will the quality of the display be? I have concerns.

Seeing that the LG Retina displays have image retention issues and the Samsung's have overly warm colors and a yellow tint on half of the screen, dare I say they can't be any worse.

LoMonkey

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
inevst in serious battery technology over energy efficient parts

Or both, like they have been. Haswell processors, plus more energy efficient screens = win for customers.

They are also investing in flexible batteries for a future iWatch perhaps. Not applicable here, but I'm sure they're coming up with something.

mnpmnp

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
inevst in serious battery technology over energy efficient parts

Too much oomph in the battery might be dangerous. It should be made safer too. Don't want to smell like a burnt ping as it happened to somebody because of S3 phone explosion.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
When computers and tablets (and phones!) last all day, people will still complain... "I want my iPad to last 2 or 3 days on a charge!" etc.

Some people I'm sure will, though I think most people are pretty happy with iPad battery life. I have an iPad 3 which probably has the least amount of runtime out of all the ipads and I'm pretty content with it. My only complaint is how long it takes to charge.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
When computers and tablets (and phones!) last all day, people will still complain... "I want my iPad to last 2 or 3 days on a charge!" etc.

ha haaa

I want a modern phone to last as long as a phone did ten or more years ago.

Back then, anyone would look at you as if you has something wrong with you if you said you were happy to charge your phone up every single day.

It's one of the key reasons I won't buy a "Smartphone" Current battery life is a joke.

Ideally a week, minimum 3 days I'd say

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
What Piggie said.

I'm happy enough to plug it in nightly, but I'd prefer to only have to plug it in once a week. When camping I'd like to have my phone for quick, fun shots and taking notes without having to setup a ridiculous rig to charge my phone.

Yes, a battery case is probably in the near future just waiting to see if I really want to purchase the next iPhone. That said, the bigger screen of 5 but thinner body doesn't appeal that much. It would be nice if function took a higher priority even though the 4s form is a favourite of mine.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
This could very well be the cause of the delay of the Retina MacBook Pros as I have pointed out a few weeks ago:

1. IGZO displays. These things just faded a little bit in the background rumor-wise - at first glance.
But wait a second: A reason why the release has been delayed is the low supply of display panels (see news post).
Apple has problems with getting the LCD technology which they had time to produce for more than a year now? That simply does not make any sense at all.
What makes considerably more sense is, that Apple will switch to IGZO Displays because they offer superiour quality and incredibly lower power consumption -> providing more battery life and allowing the 13" MBP to become thinner.
The 15.4" displays with IGZO technology are in production by Sharp for just a few weeks. I'd call this a bottleneck right now. It fits very well in the prediction by KGI.

So then why does the original Korean news source website say that IGZO will be coming to Macbooks in 2014? :

"In tandem with advances in IGZO technologies, Apple has decided to expand the application of IGZO displays to the iPad and to introduce IGZO displays to the upcoming MacBook, slated for release in the first half of next year."

So now, what are the chances that IGZO will actually show up in these fall Macbook Pro retinas? Personally, I wish they really do.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Too much oomph in the battery might be dangerous. It should be made safer too. Don't want to smell like a burnt ping as it happened to somebody because of S3 phone explosion.

maybe try some other then lithium.....what about miniture nuclear fusion reactors in the mac?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Does this mean, not only Apple is paving the way for "disposable ultra-books", it is now also meaning their recycling program is gone to the dogs too ?

First, the Mac was easily upgradable, and free of any PVR etc.... and confirmed to Apple's specs...

Now, their thinner, non-upgradable RAM, you may as well toss it away and get a new MBA if you didn't upgrade at purchase.

Is this slowly becoming a "The new MBA, is less recyclable, and more disposable than any other laptop.' :p

Will it eventually be heading this way ? Looks like it, as were running out of materials.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Sharp SH-02E IGZO Aquos Phone Zeta

Your idea about mass production and mine are separated by more than a few magnitudes. Wouldn't limited production be more accurate at this point in time?

----------

Again, mass production, not boutique, as this ultrabook is described as "Premium" yet lacks full SSD and substantial memory, pretty much standard for MBP.

I'm solidly behind using IGZO displays, and I'm betting Apple can't wait to get its hands on them in quantity, which regrettably Sharp hasn't been able to provide yet (possibly a result of its precarious financial condition).

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
This is all well and good, but what will the quality of the display be? I have concerns.

IGZO has been shown to be a very good quality display and allows much higher pixel density than other technologies. It has been a long time coming because the production processes have taken longer than expected to develop and ramp up volume. There have already been a few products out that use these panels and the quality looks fantastic.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I wouldn't be surprised if the new full-sized iPad due in September 2013 does use an IGZO touchscren, if only to keep the weight down due to thinner display thickness and lower battery consumption.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
ha haaa

I want a modern phone to last as long as a phone did ten or more years ago.

Back then, anyone would look at you as if you has something wrong with you if you said you were happy to charge your phone up every single day.

It's one of the key reasons I won't buy a "Smartphone" Current battery life is a joke.

Ideally a week, minimum 3 days I'd say

Put your iPhone in your pocket and only use it to send and receive calls. I bet you get close to what you want. 225 hours standby 8 solid hours of talk time.

But if you don't need a smartphone for anything other than calls, then why would you ever buy one at all? Regardless of its battery life?

Or were you suggesting that current smartphone manufacturers need to defy physics before you'll buy one?

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
This is a discussion about displays, not about SSDs or RAM.

The "mass quantities" is the issue I have with your statement.

I'm not seeing this as a ubiquitous display in even premium smartphones, so I stand by my statement that it is being used in "boutique" applications, same as the ASUS IGZO monitor due to limited availability and high price. The pricing reflects that IGZO screen, but missing DRAM and SSD of premium competitors without the IGZO, i.e., incentivized purchase for the screen, not necessarily overall performance. This is quite similar to the way the rMBP was initially marketed, albeit the SSD and DRAM were offered at steep premiums.

"Mass quantities" IMHO would be the volumes that Dell, HP, Lenovo, or Apple would sell for their premium ultra books, or in the case of Apple, the rMBP model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.