Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

eric_schmidt_blue.jpg
While at the annual Allen and Co media conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt said the company's relationship with Apple is "improving" and that the two companies have been conducting "lots and lots" of meetings, reports Reuters.
Schmidt did not provide details about the nature of the meetings during comments to reporters at the annual Allen and Co media conference in Sun Valley, Idaho on Thursday. He noted that Google Chief Business Officer Nikesh Arora, who joined him at the press briefing, was leading many of the discussions.
Schmidt did say that the companies are in "constant business discussions on a long list of issues." Last December, the former Google CEO said that the two companies had an "on and off" relationship and that they would work through any issues in "the adult way."

Apple and Google's relationship has been strained in recent years, with constant patent disputes between Apple and Google's Android parters as well as the removal of both Google Maps and YouTube from iOS. The two companies also have taken their rivalry to apps as Google has Safari competitor Chrome in the App Store and has most recently updated its Google Search app with Siri competitor Google Now.

Schmidt had served as an Apple board member while also holding the position of Google CEO, but as the two companies became increasingly direct competitors following Google's launches of Android and Chrome OS, Schmidt stepped down from Apple's board in August 2009.

Article Link: Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Says Relationship with Apple 'Improving'

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Well... this means Steve Jobs was the one who was in war with Google not Apple. So, soon we are going to see a merge between both operative systems... wait... doesn't iOS7 looks like an android phone right now?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I don't know what all this talking means but I do hope it results in less litigation.

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Apple hates Google, Google loves Samsung, Samsung hates Apple, Google hates Microsoft, Samsung's OK with Microsoft but cant remember their name so keeps calling it ATIV, and Apple and Microsoft have a love/hate relationship

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Yeah right, just wait until Tim Cook going nuclear war on Schmidt
Because he saw the first prototype of iwatch and copied it. :rolleyes:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Well... this means Steve Jobs was the one who was in war with Google not Apple.

Are you only just figuring that out?

Google had no problem with Apple. Tim had no problem with Google. It was Steve.

Sad to say, but the guy was an *******, even if he was a marketing genius. It's not exactly a big secret either.

----------

Apple hates Google, Google loves Samsung, Samsung hates Apple, Google hates Microsoft, Samsung's OK with Microsoft but cant remember their name so keeps calling it ATIV, and Apple and Microsoft have a love/hate relationship

You have no idea what you are talking about really do you ;)

For one thing, Google and Samsung havent been getting on for a long time now, especially now that Samsung is readying Tizen to replace Android on their devices.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Schmidt and Steve Jobs could actually get along. There is Steve's famous line, "Just because we're competitors doesn't mean we have to be rude about it." They were seen out at dinner numerous times. The truth is that Apple needs smartphone competition in order to avoid scrutiny of antitrust regulators.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I guess we will have to sit back and see where this goes. I enjoy both Google and Apple cause both have their key points. It is obvious by their market shares. Kind of hard to argue with that.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
While this is good news, I really don't think Schmidt is a good person to be involved in anything.

Much as I believe Steve Jobs was kind of nuts, Eric Schmidt should have resigned from the Apple board as soon as Google started serious development of a phone OS. It was unethical to continue, and perfectly predictable that it would trigger Steve's bipolar syndrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.