Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Given that macbook air is a big investment (for some) and that it has had some issues (volume fluctuation/wifi/screen issues with photoshop) is it advised to wait for the end of year refresh which may have some tiny under the hood changes to fix these issues (if they are caused by some hardware issues that is); so is it advisable for one to wait? what do people think?

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Honestly, I think most of these issues are blown way out of proportion. If even a small amount of people had Wi-Fi problems, you would see way more complaints.

The Photoshop bug is fixed in 10.8.5

People here seem to get way too freaked out about supposed "widespread "issues.

There's a 99% chance your mac will be perfect, and if it's not, just exchange it

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Honestly, I think most of these issues are blown way out of proportion. If even a small amount of people had Wi-Fi problems, you would see way more complaints.

The Photoshop bug is fixed in 10.8.5

People here seem to get way too freaked out about supposed "widespread "issues.

There's a 99% chance your mac will be perfect, and if it's not, just exchange it

cool..thankss...just hope these are not hardware/engineering problems that will lead to more problems down the line..hence my reason for wondering whether i should wait

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Havent noticed either the Wi-Fi or speaker issue (I thought I did but after testing many videos, songs, etc. I couldn't replicate it.)

Overall, its fast as hell 13" (i5/8/256)

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Some people clearly think posts and threads on discussion forums represent a complete picture of the product then base their purchasing decision solely on this information. Sad, really.

jespervang

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
Hvidovre, Denmark
As I understand, the MBA ships with screens made by different manufacturers ? Samsung and LG among others. I've heard that the Samsung screen should be okay, but the LG is not. It it a hit or miss, what you receive ? Is there anyway to dertermine, what kind of screen you have ?

SlovakApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
In the heart of Europe
As far as I know, that is/was only an issue with the retina screens on the rMBPs.

As for the OP - the MBAs have been refreshed currently, so there should not be a refresh at the end of the year, but probably next summer. You also should consider, that on forum like these, you will read mostly about problems. Not those, who have no issue at all and are happy with the machine. So I would not give it that much thought. Anyway, you can return it under the warranty, if there is a problem.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
As I understand, the MBA ships with screens made by different manufacturers ?
True.

I've heard that the Samsung screen should be okay, but the LG is not.
False. There's nothing wrong with the LG screen.

It it a hit or miss, what you receive ?
Since you can't select the screen manufacturer, yes.

Is there anyway to dertermine, what kind of screen you have ?
There's a huge thread on this forum that discusses this and it includes instructions on how to determine this.

As far as I know, that is/was only an issue with the retina screens on the rMBPs.
False

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
True.

False. There's nothing wrong with the LG screen.

Since you can't select the screen manufacturer, yes.

There's a huge thread on this forum that discusses this and it includes instructions on how to determine this.

False

Thanks for all the answers.

And regarding the LG screens...the problem is that I've read more problems before about macbook display problems that had LG Screens - now that may just speak to the quality of screens that LG makes rather than it being a defect ...

I will wait for all issues to be fixed first and then buy the air - I just dont want the hassle to even return it even it can be returned ... i want to buy it and enjoy it knowing that this pricey laptop wont have issues that there are no solutions to as of yet (mainly wifi, and also the fluctuating sound issue) - the photoshop screen issue seems to have been fixed with the beta seed of 10.8.5

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
And regarding the LG screens...the problem is that I've read more problems before about macbook display problems that had LG Screens - now that may just speak to the quality of screens that LG makes rather than it being a defect ...

To be clear, it has nothing to do with the quality of the LG screens.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
This thread is about MBAs, and the problems with the rMBPs has been resolved. :rolleyes:

But the person you responded to specifically pointed out about the issue on the rMBP and you said false. And no the issue hasn't been resolved, not when Apple's still replacing all those bad screens they let loose.

Any way you try to frame it - people have a right to be concerned... LG displays have had a spotty record with more issues in the past.

Maybe the move to Igzo and Sharp as a new panel manufacturer in the future might bring better quality displays, but LG displays like the Sandisk SSDs is totally losing the display/SSD lottery Apple makes everyone put up with.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
But the person you responded to specifically pointed out about the issue on the rMBP and you said false. And no the issue hasn't been resolved, not when Apple's still replacing all those bad screens they let loose.

Any way you try to frame it - people have a right to be concerned... LG displays have had a spotty record with more issues in the past.

Maybe the move to Igzo and Sharp as a new panel manufacturer in the future might bring better quality displays, but LG displays like the Sandisk SSDs is totally losing the display/SSD lottery Apple makes everyone put up with.
1. rMBP - Apple knows what the problem is and they have been fixing it and no one buying a new rMBP is going to have this problem, i.e., false.
2. LG v Samsung screens on MBAs - Waiting won't fix this and there have NOT been problems, it's been a matter of personal taste plus owners of MBAs with LG screens report a profile (.icc file) available on MR makes the LG screen look like the Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.