Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
I need some help merging my notes from my iPad and sending them to iCloud. I seems that my notes on my iPad are separated in two: "On My iPad" and "iCloud" and I can't seem to find a way to send all from my iPad to iCloud.

I've tried deleting my iCloud from my iPad and syncing it again and it doesn't ask me to merge notes, i've tried syncing with my mac and then again with iCloud and nothing happens. I would really appreciate your help, Thanks.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Open Mail on your Mac and find the Notes, then right click one and choose Copy To > Notes > iCloud.

Already tried that but it doesn't work because my notes are just on my iPad, not on my Mac

Thanks anyway

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
I think the only way is to go to each note on iPad, copy, go back to iCloud notes , create a new one and paste. When you've done them all delete the iPad notes. Bit manual. Very manual.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
I think the only way is to go to each note on iPad, copy, go back to iCloud notes , create a new one and paste. When you've done them all delete the iPad notes. Bit manual. Very manual.

I thought of that first but I have over 500 notes and it would take too long.

Are you talking about syncing iPad and iPhone? Because, for me, it "just works" instantly. Can't speak to syncing with a Mac, though.

Notes get synced to iCloud on the first time you set up iCloud but for me they didn't get copied, they just stayed on my iPad so they won't sync with my Mac or with my iPhone

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
That's very strange that they didn't get backed up... or wouldn't get backed up since then. Have you done a hard reset? (hold power button and home button at the same time until the white apple appears). Might help(??)

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
That's very strange that they didn't get backed up... or wouldn't get backed up since then. Have you done a hard reset? (hold power button and home button at the same time until the white apple appears). Might help(??)

I've done it a lot of times since this problem is present since the launch of iCloud, they didn't seem to want to go to the cloud so they just stayed on my iPad!

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I did a test of Notes with iCloud - it's nearly instantaneous sync - like making a calendar change. Change or create a note in either the iPhone or iPad, and the other is instantly updated. I do have iCloud syc turned on for notes, but otherwise, I don't think there's anything else involved.

iOSMole

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
Notes does not act like contacts and calendars in that it will not "merge" with the cloud.

It acts like an exchange account. When you turn on Notes syncing, it will sync any notes created from that time on with icloud but any pre-existing notes on the device will not merge. You will need to recreate the note to make it sync with icloud.

splintah

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2005
same problem here

the issue is the following
the notes app has accounts
- on my iphone
- icould
- your personal email account
and so on

i am also looking for a way to sync them
this REALLY sucks
its very annoying and should be a click of a button.

you can set your notes app to the default user (icloud)
then all future notes will be synced
but that does not help you with your old notes

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
same problem here

the issue is the following
the notes app has accounts
- on my iphone
- icould
- your personal email account
and so on

i am also looking for a way to sync them
this REALLY sucks
its very annoying and should be a click of a button.

you can set your notes app to the default user (icloud)
then all future notes will be synced
but that does not help you with your old notes

My iPad is now stuck in iOS 5.1 as it is a 1st gen iPad and so I guess i'll never be able to sync them to iCloud without adding one by one (which i'm obviously not going to do)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.