Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday it was reported that users who purchased the new game Deus Ex: The Fall were unable to properly play the game on jailbroken devices because of an anti-piracy measure. Users were prevented from firing any guns, a key part of the game.

Today, Square Enix has apologized for not properly communicating that the game would not work on jailbroken devices and has announced that it will rectify the issue in a future software update, Eurogamer reports.

deusexjailbreak.jpg
Publisher Square Enix issued this statement:
We have not been clear in our communication earlier this week when we launched Deus Ex: The Fall. We did not state clearly that the game would not support jailbroken devices and so we will be switching this off via an update, so that all the supported iOS devices will be able to play the game in the near future.

We feel it's the right thing to do in this situation and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. No customer should be out of pocket when we were not clear from the start, so we'll get the game updated as soon as possible so that everyone who wants to play Deus Ex: The Fall can do regardless of whether their device is jailbroken or not. As soon as this update is live we will communicate this via the Eidos Montreal Community channels.

Article Link: Square Enix Reverses Course on 'Deus Ex' Anti-Jailbreak Code

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I dont understand why companies do this, as long as they are getting the money for the app. Can someone fill me in on how this works anyway?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I dont understand why companies do this, as long as they are getting the money for the app. Can someone fill me in on how this works anyway?

The idea was to try to stop people from being able to side-load the app when a person hasn't paid for it... you know, theft.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
This fits well with my previous theory:

I don't get this. How is it helping Eidos at all?

1. Those who have jailbroken iPhones but planned to buy the game will not = lost sales.
  2. Those who have jailbroken iPhones and planned to pirate the game will not = no consequence on sales.
  3. Some Deus Ex fans who planned to buy it may remove their jailbreak just to buy it = no consequence on sales.
  4. Some Deus Ex fans who planned to pirate it may remove their jailbreak just to buy it = sales gain.

Basically, case 2 and 3 have no effect and the number of people from case 1 is undoubtely significantly higher than those in case 4. Which means the overall result is lost sales.

My guess is that they're doing it for free publicity, so that their game gets mentionned on tech websites (see, it worked here). I see no other logical explanation.

Now that they've had the free publicity (twice), they want to avoid the lost sales.

Makes sense.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Pretty sure the vast majority of app piracy was coming from installous, which got shut down.

Targeting every jail broken device with this kind of stuff is imprudent and juvenile. A lot of us jailbroken iPhone users are just your average Joe's when it comes to buying apps. I'd say I spend way more than the average on apps.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011

jailbroken iphones can download and play the game illegally.

EDIT
-----
and apparently several people on macrumors misinterpret my answer for "OMG komodrone thinks all people that jailbreak their iPhones are pirates". frustrating. I'M JUST ANSWERING THE QUESTION.

Last edited:

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
The idea was to try to stop people from being able to side-load the app when a person hasn't paid for it... you know, theft.
There are many ways they can accomplish this without restoring to these kinds of tactics.

That being said, this comes too little, too late, I will not buy any of their games. The kind of mentality that has to exist to enact this in the first place demonstrates that the company does not really care about it's users.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
They realized that too many people were asking for returns. If they are asking for a return that means they actually bought the game. Then they realized "Wait, the jailbreakers are actually buying our game".

mike...

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
jailbroken iphones can download and play the game illegally.

Yeah well PCs and Macs can download and play games illegally. That doesn't stop people making games for them! To assume that all jailbreakers are pirates is completely wrong.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Bad idea.

I'm not suggesting I have the right answer, but I know a wrong one when I see it and apparently so does the dev.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
There are many ways they can accomplish this without restoring to these kinds of tactics.

That being said, this comes too little, too late, I will not buy any of their games. The kind of mentality that has to exist to enact this in the first place demonstrates that the company does not really care about it's users.

lol...users who wants to steal? :confused:
wahahahah.
i dont play this game but i fully support this myself.
if they dont block, they should at least have a notice before the game starts

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010

Wow, chill

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Yeah well PCs and Macs can download and play games illegally. That doesn't stop people making games for them! To assume that all jailbreakers are pirates is completely wrong.

Most people who jailbreak do not jailbreak to pirate. I do believe though that most people who jailbreak do end up with pirated software on their devices.

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Free publicity worked here

I'm quite a Deus Ex fan and I had no idea that this iOS game was coming out at all until I saw this very story right here.

I'm now searching it out to buy on my (non-Jailbroken) iPhone so if it was a stunt, it's worked at least once.

Ishayu

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Denmark
Even that doesn't make sense to me. You can just use programs like iExplorer to do this even on a non-jailbroken device...

Or you can make the purchase, go into support and click the oops button, and get your money back a few seconds later if you REALLY want to pirate.

This was a stupid move; glad they realized.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013

Well if the app touches their servers in any way pirated copies increase server load with no payment. The pirated copies are stealing limited resources from the company.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Total waste of time and money trying to play a decent PC game on a touch based device. I'll wait till the actual PC version is released. I can see why they would want to milk the mobile device world for as much money as they can get though. I just hope this is not indicative of the future of gaming. Playing FPS games on tablets sux big time. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.