Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I got a safe mode restart and when i rebooted it came on with screen at full brightness. So I turned off the auto brightness then turned it back on. Seems auto brightness doesn't work now. Only manual. Any way to kick it out of this funk?

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
I have had my auto brightness not work in the past. I fixed it by taking my device into a dark room, going to the brightness settings and turning off auto brightness, lowering the brightness manually down to a low level (where you want the brightness to be in the dark environment), and then turning auto brightness back on. Auto brightness worked for me after that.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I have had my auto brightness not work in the past. I fixed it by taking my device into a dark room, going to the brightness settings and turning off auto brightness, lowering the brightness manually down to a low level (where you want the brightness to be in the dark environment), and then turning auto brightness back on. Auto brightness worked for me after that.

Didn't work. I didn't think it would. Lol

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
It has worked for me on multiple occasions. Are you sure you followed the steps exactly? If so then it might be a tweak causing your issue, possibly the same one that caused the respring.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Have tried putting the phone in safe mode and seeing if the problem remains?

I second this. If if is due to a tweak, then when the phone is put in safe mode your auto brightness should work again. Then you can troubleshoot to find the tweak causing the issue.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I second this. If if is due to a tweak, then when the phone is put in safe mode your auto brightness should work again. Then you can troubleshoot to find the tweak causing the issue.

Interesting. The issue that first kicked it into safe mode that caused it to stop working was BiteSMS. I tried restarting several times, and following the advice to go into a dark area (tho there's no "calibrate" so not sure what would make that person think it would fix it), and didn't work.

However, today, I followed your advice, and kicked it into safe mode, and the auto-brightness worked fine in safe mode. Then I kicked it out of safe mode, and BAM, everything is working like it did before, my auto-brightness is back... yay!

Thanks for the assistance, next time it happens I'll go safe mode and back again and it'll restore it. Thanks!

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Interesting. The issue that first kicked it into safe mode that caused it to stop working was BiteSMS. I tried restarting several times, and following the advice to go into a dark area (tho there's no "calibrate" so not sure what would make that person think it would fix it), and didn't work.

However, today, I followed your advice, and kicked it into safe mode, and the auto-brightness worked fine in safe mode. Then I kicked it out of safe mode, and BAM, everything is working like it did before, my auto-brightness is back... yay!

Thanks for the assistance, next time it happens I'll go safe mode and back again and it'll restore it. Thanks!

Were you looking for a calibrate button or something like that. If so, then you must have not read my directions carefully. I said nothing about a calibrate button. I said:

1) Take your phone into a dark room
2) Go to settings and turn off auto brightness
3) Manually lower the brightness to a low level (whatever you think is appropriate for the level of darkness you are in)
4) Turn auto brighness back on.

Upon leaving the dark area your phone should adjust to the light level as it normally would if auto brightness were turned on. No mention in those steps of a callibrate button.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to fix your issue. As, I said previously, the method I described has worked for me on multiple occasions. It has fixed the issue on both my iPhone and iPad. It also does not require a respring. I try to respring as little as possible as it messes up usage stats..

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Were you looking for a calibrate button or something like that. If so then you must have not read my directions carefully. I said nothing about a calibrate button. I said:

1) Take your phone into a dark room
2) Go to settings and turn off auto brightness
3) Manually lower the brightness to a low level (whatever you think is appropriate for the level of darkness you are in)
4) Turn auto brighness back on.

Upon leaving the dark area your phone should adjust to the light level as it normally would if auto brightness were turned on. No mention in those steps of a callibrate button.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to fix your issue. As, I said previously, the method I described has worked for me on multiple occasions. It has fixed the issue on both my iPhone and iPad. It also does not require a respring. I try to respring as little as possible.

What would u refer to that process as? Calibration, duhh. Jeez. And no, that had no effect on the brightness sensor. Even now that it's working fine, I tested the process and it had no impact. Apple controls the sensitivity, so if you think that process does anything, my guess is it would just be your perception. Otherwise there would be a calibrate mode. Otherwise, if you went out on a bright sunny day and turned it to manual and turned it all the way down then turned it on, it would react by never going past the lowest setting, which would defy all logic.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
What would u refer to that process as? Calibration, duhh. Jeez. And no, that had no effect on the brightness sensor. Even now that it's working fine, I tested the process and it had no impact. Apple controls the sensitivity, so if you think that process does anything, my guess is it would just be your perception. Otherwise there would be a calibrate mode. Otherwise, if you went out on a bright sunny day and turned it to manual and turned it all the way down then turned it on, it would react by never going past the lowest setting, which would defy all logic.

It is a recalibration and not my perception. The way you wrote you previous post made it seem as if you were looking for a calibrate mode or something of that nature. What you described, and I bolded, is almost exactly what happens if you follow my steps while under a bright light instead of in a dark area. The brightness will increase past the lowest under a bright light, just not by a large increment. The screen still stays very dark. I had never tried doing that but I just did and that is exactly what happened. Try it out.

Also, if your auto brightness were working fine then of course following my steps would not make a difference. If your auto brightness were working fine, you would not need a recalibration.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
It is a recalibration and not my perception. The way you wrote you previous post made it seem as if you were looking for a calibrate mode or something of that nature. What you described, and I bolded, is almost exactly what happens if you follow my steps while under a bright light instead of in a dark area. The brightness will increase under a bright light, just not by a large increment. I had never tried doing that but I just did and that is exactly what happened. Try it out.

Tried it on 3 iDevices, 1 of which is not even jailbroken and it had no effect. If such a mode\process existed, Apple would have documentation on it.

And as I said, if you go into bright sunlight, turn auto to off, turn it all the way to dim, it'll never go brighter, which when put into practice is not the actual effect. Maybe it worked for you, but it doesn't work on an unjailbroken device nor my 2 jailbroken devices.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Tried it on 3 iDevices, 1 of which is not even jailbroken and it had no effect. If such a mode\process existed, Apple would have documentation on it.

And as I said, if you go into bright sunlight, turn auto to off, turn it all the way to dim, it'll never go brighter, which when put into practice is not the actual effect. Maybe it worked for you, but it doesn't work on an unjailbroken device nor my 2 jailbroken devices.

How much brighter did it go? As I said, in the post you quoted, the brightness does increase, just not by much. You need to read more carefully. Anyway, we can agree to disagree, I guess. It works on both of my iDevices. Both jailbroken, not that I am sure that matters in this situation. I was just trying to help.

EDIT:

I am not the only one that states that this method works. There are multilple links in this search result that back up my method:

https://www.google.com/search?q=app...bration&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

But then again I guess it was all in their heads as well. /sarcasm

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I am not the only one that states that this method works. There are multilple links in this search result that back up my method:

https://www.google.com/search?q=app...bration&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

But then again I guess it was all in their heads as well. /sarcasm

There's multiple (as in MILLIONS) of links who claim to see Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and Jesus (on their toast), but that doesn't make the claims correct. I talked to an Apple Genius and they checked their system and said no, there is no "calibration" method for an iPhone brightness sensor.

Sometimes when we want to think something is effective, our mind convinces us it's true.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
There's multiple (as in MILLIONS) of links who claim to see Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and Jesus (on their toast), but that doesn't make the claims correct. I talked to an Apple Genius and they checked their system and said no, there is no "calibration" method for an iPhone brightness sensor.

Sometimes when we want to think something is effective, our mind convinces us it's true.

He's right, this is the way to calibrate the auto brightness. We all have to do once in awhile.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011

As you can tell from your own experience it is obvious when your phone brightness sensor isn't working. It is very apparent when the sensor is working again. My iPhone, my iPad, and my wife's iPhone have all had the brightness sensor stop working. In all these cases the problem was immediately solved by following the steps that I listed and only the steps I listed. As I showed you in the link I posted, multiple other people have had success using the same method.

Just because there's noofficial way to recalibrate the sensor doesn't mean there's not a method that works to do it. In addition there's a gigantic difference between people believing in Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster, and a burn that looks sort of like Jesus on a piece of toast being some sort of miraculous sign and someone believing in an unofficial way to calibrate a light sensor. Nice job with the false equivalence though.

Believe whatever you want to believe though, as incorrect as it might be.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.