Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
It would be nice if Apple designed and made a case that reflected or complemented the design of each new iPhone.

While I like the variety of third party cases, a lot of them don't match the Apple aesthetic or have fit and finish issues. It would be convenient for iPhone buyers to have a visually matched and guaranteed to work case on launch day.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The cases I buy are nice looking and work.

I'd say that Apple should focus on what they do best and not try to do it all. Making cases really falls out of their core area of expertise and given how flooded the case market is. I wonder how much profit they'll generate.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't expect them to if they don't currently. They seem to be leaving a lot of accessories to the aftermarket. There are plenty of well made cases out there that complement the iPhone. If you're not finding anything then you aren't looking hard enough. What are you specifically looking for?

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I'd say that Apple should focus on what they do best and not try to do it all. Making cases really falls out of their core area of expertise and given how flooded the case market is. I wonder how much profit they'll generate.

I think of it this way: the case is part of the iPhone, just like the display and the metal structure.

Think of the case as a component rather than an accessory and that is where I am going.

There are plenty of well made cases out there that complement the iPhone. If you're not finding anything then you aren't looking hard enough. What are you specifically looking for?

I am actually mostly happy with my Incipio Frequency, but I did have to mod it to get rid of sharp edges.

There were problems with the similar Incipio NGP case : sharp edges, lock button too stiff. It took awhile for these problems to be resolved.

If Apple designed their own case as part of designing the entire device, buyers could have the option of a good case on launch day.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I'm sure Apple's designers cringe every time someone slaps a case on an iPhone. But those bumpers probably made the accounts do backflips. I'm surprised they didn't try to milk the bumpers for the iPhone 5 too. Those things probably had a markup of at least 70%.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I'm sure Apple's designers cringe every time someone slaps a case on an iPhone. But those bumpers probably made the accounts do backflips. I'm surprised they didn't try to milk the bumpers for the iPhone 5 too. Those things probably had a markup of at least 70%.

Heck, I cringe when I see iPhones in certain models of case. I understand that a lot of people are clumsy or work in tough environments and really do need that bulky Otterbox, but I still cringe.

That is why I think phone and case perhaps should be designed together at the same time. Make the whole system a functional work of art.

HidingAmatanth

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
If they would produce a phone that could be used normally without it cracking/bending/getting scuffed up/dropping calls when "held wrong", then people might could do without a case. Until then, some people feel the need to protect their $600+ item.

That being said, I think branching into cases would ultimately be a bad business decision. They need to stick with what they know, which is electronics and programs to make them work.

Look at Barnes and Noble. They are struggling right now, and a large part of that is due to the Nook. Trying to branch out into the digital book sales realm spread their resources too thin. They very well could have been okay right now had they not diverted their attentions.

They are selling a select range of cases in their stores and online. They might not be getting all of the profit from them, but they are still making money off of them. With some brands they even make deals to sell exclusive color/prints.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
It would be nice if Apple designed and made a case that reflected or complemented the design of each new iPhone.

While I like the variety of third party cases, a lot of them don't match the Apple aesthetic or have fit and finish issues. It would be convenient for iPhone buyers to have a visually matched and guaranteed to work case on launch day.

No, it would not. I agree with maflynn, Apple makes electronics, not cases and twisting the meaning of what a case is (Post #5) doesn't change that. One of the dumbest things a company can do is forget what its core competencies are. Making cases is a perfect example.

Lots of companies make cases that match the Apple aesthetic and do not have fit and finish issues plus are available on, or soon after, launch day.

----------

Clearly you forgot about the bumper cases they gave away.

----------

Heck, I cringe when I see iPhones in certain models of case. I understand that a lot of people are clumsy or work in tough environments and really do need that bulky Otterbox, but I still cringe.

I solved this problem by minding my own business and reserving cringing for the truly cringe-worthy things in life.

Make the whole system a functional work of art.
Many people their iPhone as.....a phone.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
No, it would not. I agree with maflynn, Apple makes electronics, not cases and twisting the meaning of what a case is (Post #5) doesn't change that. One of the dumbest things a company can do is forget what its core competencies are. Making cases is a perfect example.

What is the functional difference though between a case and the aluminum unibody on the iPhone?

Both the outer structure of a phone and a case exist to protect internal components from damage.

Lots of companies make cases that match the Apple aesthetic and do not have fit and finish issues plus are available on, or soon after, launch day.

What are the best examples of this?

I solved this problem by minding my own business and reserving cringing for the truly cringe-worthy things in life.

Many people their iPhone as.....a phone.

That's a bit harsh. Of course this is not an issue of great importance in the grand scheme of things, but then the whole forum is pointless by that standard.

Note that I said functional. Not just a pretty work of art.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Both the outer structure of a phone and a case exist to protect internal components from damage.
The case is not structure. those iPhone band cases do nothing to protect the phone except the edges. Many cases are made of silicone which offer not tensile strength and the plastic cases guard against scratches mostly.

I use a case, but to be honest I don't think apple should get into the business of spending their resources on designing cases when there are gazillions of cases already available.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
What is the functional difference though between a case and the aluminum unibody on the iPhone? Both the outer structure of a phone and a case exist to protect internal components from damage.
See mafynn's reply.

What are the best examples of this?
This MR subforum is all about iPhone accessories and at least half of the threads is about cases. Material, coverage, etc., including metal bumpers that complement the iPhone design. Reading/searching will reveal them.

That's a bit harsh. Of course this is not an issue of great importance in the grand scheme of things, but then the whole forum is pointless by that standard. Note that I said functional. Not just a pretty work of art.
I quoted your words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.