Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have a mac mini server running Mt Lion server on my home network, the main function of the server is time machine backup for my macbook & wife's macbook, file server, central location for crashplan backup. I also have a older macbook for snow Leopard and older software with windows 8 and a macpro or photo editing. I have been reading about open directory, but I don't see the benefit for my file syncing i have been using drop box.

Any other services I should be looking at?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I use open directory so that the server only has an administrator account (all users, including myself, just have OD accounts). Important partitions (except Boot partition) are all encrypted -- I just want things secure for financial and personal data that's saved on the server.

I also have it do DNS and DHCP (my router is was flakey with those services), VPN and SSH for remotely accessing data, Calendar and Contacts servers (starting now I'd probably just use iCloud, but I've been using the server for over 3 years).

While not actually server services, I also run a Windows virtual machine under Parallels that is accessed via Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection for Quicken. Plex Media Server and PlexConnect (for Apple TV), iTunes (as a server), DDNS client, and iPhoto to build a database that Plex can serve. These require that the Administrator account be left logged in, so when I start the system I have to log it in for all services to be running.

The mini is 3 1/2 years old, started with Snow Leopard Server, and just upgraded to 8GB RAM and Mountain Lion Server. I've got 9 TB of external drives attached. Works great!

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I spent some time trying to set up open directory. I was have issues with my DNS settings. I went on line and tried a bunch of stuff and it's a no go. It was very humbling, I usually do not get stymied by OS X. I even tried setting up google as a DNS anyway after a few hours I stopped for now. The server been running for a year and everything I use on it works fine. I do not use the server for DNS or DHCP.
It will be a project for another day

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I spent some time trying to set up open directory. I was have issues with my DNS settings. I went on line and tried a bunch of stuff and it's a no go. It was very humbling, I usually do not get stymied by OS X. I even tried setting up google as a DNS anyway after a few hours I stopped for now. The server been running for a year and everything I use on it works fine. I do not use the server for DNS or DHCP.
It will be a project for another day

OD won't work unless you have DNS set up. It took days before I was able to set it up correctly. This is the site that got me going: http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1436

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.