Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I would prefer if graphics were excluded from the top-rated comments of an article. Many use them to SHOUT words. One user used them today to put a graphic for b******t because the word got censored.

I'd prefer to just see text only in the top-rated comments section. Are there good reasons to include graphics there?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think top-rated comments have any bearing on anything. It is not as though you can sort by top-rated comments on the site. At least not as far as I know.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I don't think top-rated comments have any bearing on anything. It is not as though you can sort by top-rated comments on the site. At least not as far as I know.

I think they are referring to when you click the article link and the comments directly below it are the highest rated comments in the thread.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I would prefer if graphics were excluded from the top-rated comments of an article. Many use them to SHOUT words. One user used them today to put a graphic for b******t because the word got censored.

I'd prefer to just see text only in the top-rated comments section. Are there good reasons to include graphics there?

Posts with only images should be reported if there is no other text as they are normally deemed as frivolous. Your example of a censored word would also be against the rules, so please also report.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Posts with only images should be reported if there is no other text as they are normally deemed as frivolous. Your example of a censored word would also be against the rules, so please also report.

Thanks for this note on policy. I have noted your message several times when flagging frivolous messages to be taken down. I have acquired a distaste for Facebook meme-wars; I appreciate that MR has taken measures to minimize their use.

I looked through the FAQ, but I didn't see this policy called out anywhere. Could this policy be explicitly noted in the FAQ? Could the automated tools be augmented to detect this kind of frivolous message?

I am tempted to suggest a Willy Wonka image, with text, in the FAQ to note this policy. :D

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Thanks for this note on policy. I have noted your message several times when flagging frivolous messages to be taken down. I have acquired a distaste for Facebook meme-wars; I appreciate that MR has taken measures to minimize their use.

I looked through the FAQ, but I didn't see this policy called out anywhere. Could this policy be explicitly noted in the FAQ? Could the automated tools be augmented to detect this kind of frivolous message?

I am tempted to suggest a Willy Wonka image, with text, in the FAQ to note this policy. :D

We cover this under Section 2 of the 'things not to do' section of the rules:

Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted.

However, I will draw the other moderator's to this thread so we can consider making this more explicit.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
We cover this under Section 2 of the 'things not to do' section of the rules

Someone could mis-read that rule. If puts puts a witty message on a Willy Wonka poster, they may believe their multi-word caption doesn't qualify as a frivolous message. In my reading, what you contributed here is very different than what the rules say.

"Captions on an image count as one word. A message containing only an image (with or without a caption) is defined as a frivolous message."

Last edited:

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Posts with only images should be reported if there is no other text as they are normally deemed as frivolous.

I recently flagged a post with only an image, but the image contained text. The posting was not pulled. @stridemat, does that qualify as a message with text or a message with no text?

I think that text in graphics should not qualify as text. Embedding the text in graphics defeats any sort of searching messages by their content. It also makes translation of the messages impossible for non-English speakers. Finally, allowing text-in-image creates an arms race where users attempt to trump text-only messages. If I want to see posters with words, I'd go to FB. :rolleyes:

Is this in agreement with what the moderators are thinking? Has there been any thought to automatically rejecting messages that only contain an image? How about a middle ground where text-in-images is discouraged in the FAQ/Rules?

Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I recently flagged a post with only an image, but the image contained text. The posting was not pulled. @stridemat, does that qualify as a message with text or a message with no text?

I think that text in graphics should not qualify as text. Embedding the text in graphics defeats any soft of searching on the message by their content. It also makes translation of the messages impossible for non-English speakers. Finally, allowing text-in-image creates an arms race where users attempt to trump text-only messages. If I want to see posters with words, I'd go to FB. :rolleyes:

Is this in agreement with what the moderators are thinking? Has there been any thought to automatically rejecting messages that only contain an image? How about a middle ground where text-in-images is discouraged in the FAQ/Rules?

I have dug out the report and it is still being discussed.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I have dug out the report and it is still being discussed.

Please let us know when you sort out the policy. Reporting postings that aren't a violation is a waste of time for the reporters and the mods.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.