Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the wake of continuing reports suggesting that Apple's Retina iPad mini may not be ready to launch until early next year, Digitimes has now added its thoughts on the matter, claiming that Apple will be releasing a slightly redesigned non-Retina iPad mini later this year before launching the Retina iPad mini early next year.

ipad_mini_promo.jpg
According to the report, the Retina iPad mini will see an "almost bezel-free" design, presumably referring to the sides of the device, which are already fairly narrow. The report is somewhat confusing about just what aspects of the redesign will appear when, also mentioning a lighter and thinner design for the new non-Retina model later this year.
Apple is reportedly aiming to use Retina panel technology equipped with 2,048 by 1,536 resolution in the next generation 7.9-inch iPad mini. Apple is also said to be revising the design of the chassis to give the next-generation iPad mini an almost bezel-free look.

While the new iPad mini may not be availabe during the year-end shopping season, Apple reportedly may first release a slightly updated version of the current iPad mini in the second half of 2013, which is expected to be lighter, thinner and equipped with improved specifications, the sources said.
Digitimes' report is very similar to claims from NPD DisplaySearch analysts, who have flip-flopped several times but now point to a thinner non-Retina iPad mini arriving later this year and a Retina iPad mini following in early 2014.

Today's report also reiterates claims that Apple's fifth-generation iPad is on its way with a thinner and lighter design inspired by the iPad mini. Apple's supply chain is reportedly beginning small-scale production on the new iPad this month, ramping up through October.

Article Link: 'Almost Bezel-Free' Redesign for iPad Mini Coming, but Still No Retina Until Early 2014?

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I'll keep my current mini until the retina comes. Personally I don't have reason to buy into a new form factor.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Of course they're not adding Retina to iPad mini this year. That would make absolutely no sense.

Apple wants to actually sell their new flagship, redesigned, drool-worthy iPad 5.

iPad mini will get spec-bumped along the iPad 5 release, but thats it.

Not that it makes any difference. 99% of iPad mini buyers are buying based on 1) Price, 2) Size. Most of them have no idea what 'Retina Display' even refers to.

That's not an insult, it is a market reality. As much as I personally would like a 7" Retina iPad....makes no difference.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Meh. All this talk of an imminent non retina iPad mini is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I bought the mini but sold it because I really wanted a retina display. The size of the mini is perfect I just want a true HD display.

Renzatic

Suspended
I would very much like an "almost bezel-free" 9.7" Retina iPad.

That'd look cool, sure. But it'd be uncomfortable as hell to use. The Mini is small enough you can hold it from the bottom or wrap your fingers around it from behind without any issues. But the bigger iPad is (obviously) both larger and heavier. You have to hold it from the sides to get the best grip. If it didn't have a bezel, you wouldn't have a place to rest the edge of your palm when holding it in portrait.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Personally I don't need or want any sort of mini iPad. My current iPad 4 is mainly a couch device at home. Outside I'm satisfied with iPhone 5.

As my next iPad I'd actually rather buy a 12" version (Apple can leave the 2048x1536 resolution, PPI will still be very good). Why couldn't Apple have 3 sizes? 8", 10" and 12" (all 3 with the same 2048-by-1536 resolution, not to complicate apps).

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Fits perfectly with the pattern - 3rd generation of an Apple product is always what the first generation should have been. Never lets your wallet down.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
not really sure lighter and thinner is neccesary. will probably look really cool though.

It's their MO, and I for one actually really appreciate the effort. Doesn't mean every model Apple produces is a winner, but they do evolve into something special.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This makes no sense to me. Why release an updated iPad mini in the fall if a new one will be coming out in early 2014? Unless Apple is moving to 6 month product cycles?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This report makes no sense. A tablet is not a monitor or TV. A decent size bezel is needed to hold the device else the user is likely to accidentally hit a button or web link. That's just bad design and only leads to consumer frustration. So I don't believe the story. It's no like the mini has an enormous bezel as-is.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Apple to iPad mini customers and potential customers:

Sorry, we ran out of vaseline. :eek:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Fits perfectly with the pattern - 3rd generation of an Apple product is always what the first generation should have been. Never lets your wallet down.

Why would someone buy a non-retina mini this fall if the rumors were a retina version would be available the following spring?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
With a smaller bezel it would be easier to hold in one hand for a lot of people.

I guess if retina is not going to happen this year then Apple needs something 'new' to try and drive holiday sales :rolleyes:

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
haha, it seems like the only hindrance will be the front facing camera.
But that bezel free one would be absolutely cool. Hopefully this will come to Macbook series as well....

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Bezel Free iPad? I see loads of Chinese bumpers hitting market now! ;)

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
It's simple physics. Center of mass must be in the center to accommodate holding in the right of left hand when held with one hand. Your thumb is generally the counterweight. With the 9.7" you MUST use a thumb as a counterweight...especially in landscape, when holding with one hand.

But, I can certainly see a thinner bezel. I don't think it has to be as large as it is now. Even if it's lighter, I still see at least a half-inch bezel in portrait. Hell, one hand in landscape messes with my carpal tunnel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.