Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorycosgrove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Hi, I've read a few threads about this issue before, but I'm not sure I'm understanding it. I just got a new iPhone that I restored from the backup from my old phone. My new phone has less memory space, so I only synced a few songs and apps to accommodate my lacking storage space. However, even with this sacrifice, I ran out of room, so I discovered that by deleting and reinstalling some of my apps I was able to free up a lot of space that was taken by blown-up app memory. So now I have room on my phone for the remaining songs, but since there's no uncheck option for app syncing, I can't sync music without syncing apps too, and the apps that would be synced from my computer still contain the unnecessary data from my backup, leaving no room for my music, or frankly even the apps themselves. When I try to drag and drop the songs I want to add without syncing, the iPhone picture simply flashes twice and does nothing, likely because the songs I want to add are already transparent on my phone implying that they're pending or something.

I just want to add a few songs to my phone that I HAVE ROOM FOR. Is there any way I can go about this without deleting more apps?

-Rory

rorycosgrove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
This should be simple. Simply make sure to set iTunes to manually sync to your iPhone by following these directions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1535

Next, go to the apps tab and untick the "Automatically install new apps".

Thanks, but I've already done this. Since there's no way to uncheck apps from actually syncing, any change I "apply" or anytime I press sync, apps are automatically included. And I can't simply drag and drop songs to my phone, because they're already pending files in my music library and there seems to be no way to "delete" them from my phone

-Rory

rorycosgrove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Someone please help me out here. Ever since I've got this new phone, nothing seems to work as it had. Every time I go to the apps page, several apps say "will install" but I don't want to install them so I click that button to uncheck them. This leaves me with the list of apps CURRENTLY ON MY PHONE with room to spare, yet iTunes tells me it will be 886.5 MB over capacity. But it doesn't matter anyway, because as soon as I leave the app page, all the "will installs" reset on their own!
Next, I had synced audio when I first got this phone, but music syncing seems to have been turned off somehow.
Also, I'd like to delete the voice memos from my phones music library - I'm not sure how they get there, but in the past (on my old phone) I've cleared them with no problems. I check the "manually manage songs and videos" button - guess what, I can't do a thing to edit the songs "on this iPhone" like I've done dozens of times in the past! No delete option or anything....

Maybe I'm just an idiot but none of this makes any sense to me, so I'd truly appreciate if someone can please lend me a hand

-Rory

rorycosgrove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Oh and now I just plugged my phone in. I deleted a bunch of photos to free up space - that left about 467MB of free space. The only other things I did were to back up my phone and transfer purchases - no sync. But now a few albums that I deleted by swiping (because iTunes won't let me!) on my phone are back, and even having deleted them I'm down to 171MB. It seems to have filled in a few songs that had been transparent, but by no means were there over 200MB of transparent songs on my phone before! I'm guessing it's the voice memos - on iTunes all of my voice memos are listed as part of the music on my phone, as I mentioned in my last post. iTunes won't let me do ANYTHING to manage the music on my phone, and in my music library on the phone itself, voice memos seem to show up when I search, but it says no music when I click on the playlist...

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
No one? I could really use some help here

If you already have all of your needed music in your iTunes library on your computer, try resetting your iPhone to factory settings. To do so, after you plug in your iPhone and run iTunes, right-click on the device and hit "Restore to factory settings".

Next, restore your iPhone from the latest backup created by iTunes by right-clicking on the iPhone (once it appears again in iTunes), and hitting "Restore from backup". Select the very latest backup entry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.